noob: need help making up my mind about whetstones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdor

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new guy here. Long time lurker. I enjoy this site and appreciate the knowledge base here. I recently purchase a 8" Miyabi Kaizen chef knife. I'm looking for my first set of stones with a budget of around $150. I need help thinking this through.
  • Beston 500, Bester 1200, Suehiro Rika 5k.
I would use dry wall screen to flatten. This would meet my current needs as I learn, but would also be just fine with future knife purchases:). Great stones, great value.
However, I'm also considering the Gesshin stones. They're pricey, but I was thinking I could get the 2k/diamond plate as a temporary 1 stones solution. OR possibly the 1/5 combo. I don't like having to re-purchase things. I would rather get the best I can afford and enjoy them now. That's one reason I've shied away from the King 1000/6000. Very affordable, but most on this site would agree, not everyone's favorite.
Anyway, I'm trying to sort this all out and I'd appreciate any comments/input that you have. Thanks!

Yes, the Gesshin stones are generally regarded as superior to the Beston/Bester/Suehiro set, but the question is how much better. At this stage in your journey, I doubt that you will be able to tell the difference.

No matter which path you go down, you will eventually need a coarse, medium and fine stone in your kit. So, if you go with the single Gesshin stone, how soon will your budget allow you to get another stone? Because you almost certainly will want or need one in the not too distant future.

Keep in mind that the Beston/Bester/Suehiro set will resell easily on B/S/T if you decide to upgrade.

I just recently went through this dilemma myself. Never sharpened before, but I'm looking forward to learning. I opted to go with the Beston/Bester/Suehiro progression, as well as a diamond plate for lapping, and I'm eager to test drive my purchase this weekend.

I'm going through this a bit at the moment myself. I've got a pair of kings in the mid-range and I'm having a hard time making up my mind between the Arashiyama 6000 and the Suehiro Rika 5000 for my fine stone. I'm not worried about losing interest, so I'd like to get a stone I'll be happy with long-term, but I've ruled out Gesshin since I live in Bangkok and it tends to be a LOT cheaper to order directly from Japan than from the US.

I think my stones will see quite more use than the average home cook would put them to, as I've got other interests beyond the kitchen that require sharp, shiny things (such as a moth-like attraction to the glow of sharp, shiny things). Also, given that I've enjoyed lurking on this forum so much I doubt a few (more) sharpening disasters would be enough to put me off. I'd like to play with some interesting locally-made carbon steel cleavers and machetes (do i need a machete? no; would it be a cool toy? yes, and they're pretty cheap).

I think I'll also get an Atoma 140 for flattening, and to play with. They're the same price as DMT on eBay when you factor in shipping.

I'm also interested in whether a Snow White 8000 would fit better with the Rika or Arashiyama, as I'm considering eventually getting one (eventually being, when I get a straight razor, I don't think I'd need it for the kitchen).

I'm going through this a bit at the moment myself. I've got a pair of kings in the mid-range and I'm having a hard time making up my mind between the Arashiyama 6000 and the Suehiro Rika 5000 for my fine stone. I'm not worried about losing interest, so I'd like to get a stone I'll be happy with long-term, but I've ruled out Gesshin since I live in Bangkok and it tends to be a LOT cheaper to order directly from Japan than from the US.

I think my stones will see quite more use than the average home cook would put them to, as I've got other interests beyond the kitchen that require sharp, shiny things (such as a moth-like attraction to the glow of sharp, shiny things). Also, given that I've enjoyed lurking on this forum so much I doubt a few (more) sharpening disasters would be enough to put me off. I'd like to play with some interesting locally-made carbon steel cleavers and machetes (do i need a machete? no; would it be a cool toy? yes, and they're pretty cheap).

I think I'll also get an Atoma 140 for flattening, and to play with. They're the same price as DMT on eBay when you factor in shipping.

I'm also interested in whether a Snow White 8000 would fit better with the Rika or Arashiyama, as I'm considering eventually getting one (eventually being, when I get a straight razor, I don't think I'd need it for the kitchen).

I've used Rika and Arashiyama and would recommend the Rika. The longer you let it soak, the better it gets. Atoma 140 is a great idea. I think the Rika or the Arashiyama would be fine before the Snow White.

Hi everyone, new guy here. Long time lurker. I enjoy this site and appreciate the knowledge base here. I recently purchase a 8" Miyabi Kaizen chef knife. I'm looking for my first set of stones with a budget of around $150. I need help thinking this through.
  • Beston 500, Bester 1200, Suehiro Rika 5k.
I would use dry wall screen to flatten. This would meet my current needs as I learn, but would also be just fine with future knife purchases:). Great stones, great value.
However, I'm also considering the Gesshin stones. They're pricey, but I was thinking I could get the 2k/diamond plate as a temporary 1 stones solution. OR possibly the 1/5 combo. I don't like having to re-purchase things. I would rather get the best I can afford and enjoy them now. That's one reason I've shied away from the King 1000/6000. Very affordable, but most on this site would agree, not everyone's favorite.
Anyway, I'm trying to sort this all out and I'd appreciate any comments/input that you have. Thanks!
my advice for sharpening your mayabi would be to grab a gesshin 400 atleast, and get the bester 1200 and rika 5k if youre on a restrictive budget. beston 500 is decent, but the gesh 400 is alot better and more user friendly in many ways. i think both the gesh 1200 and gesh 2k are better stones than bester 1200. but bester 1200 is as good of a medium stone youre going to get for $50(besides bester 1k). the suehiro rika is also a huge value, better finishing stones can be had, but they start around $70.

As an owner of Gesshin 400, 2000 and 6000 let me say the following. Yes - if your knives do not need thinning that you could in a pinch make it with the 2000 only, but be prepared for some really toothy edges (on cheaper stainless it would not make too much sense to go higher than this stone anyhow). And yes - the 2000 Gesshin is just really great. The 2000 dishes slowly - I did not have to flatten mine yet (it is coming though) - and have used it on more than 10 sharpening sessions (3-6 knives each). So you may postpone the purchase of the diamond plate (the one from JKI is very good indeed) and get a 5000 or 6000 stone instead. But if you get the 400 you will need some some flattening solution sooner than later.

But at the same time - I would hesitate to 'look dow' on the Beston 500, Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5k stones. Those stones have solid reputation and will give you better result that just single stone.

However - if you are the type of person (like me :O) that has problems to reach satisfaction when something 'better' is still out there, than just start slowly building your Gesshin stone setup.

And last but not least - it depends on your locations, but JNS stones are every bit as good as Gesshin. Different, but every bit as good.

can you or anybody compare the gesshins to the jns? what other stones can you compare your gesshins to?

yea, i just noticed that they have all different grits...

I've used Rika and Arashiyama and would recommend the Rika. The longer you let it soak, the better it gets. Atoma 140 is a great idea. I think the Rika or the Arashiyama would be fine before the Snow White.

i don't mind a long soak; i have an outdoor sink i use for little else (cleaning garden tools occasionally).

is, in your estimation, the Rika $10 better than the Arashiyama? seems to be the shipping difference at the moment, although that may change by payday.

For your budget, I'd recommend the 3 stone Shapton Glass Stone set that starts with the 500 grit from 330_mate or metal masterjp on ebay but apparently they are so popular, its out of stock right now. You can probably get them elsewhere for a bit more. You can't go wrong with the Shaptons and they are much more convenient than soakers as they are splash and go. I much prefer the Shaptons to the slow cutting, thirsty Bester 700 I have.

Thanks for the responses. When the money is right, I'm going with my initial choice of the beston, bester, Suehrio Rika(i'm absolutely, posivitvely, almost certain :). I can get the set through Dave and save some money(i want to support the vendors on this site whenever possible). I've considered the shaptons before and i know that opinions are divided on those, but i remember reading that they are not so easy to flatten and their cost would exclude a flattening stone for now. You've been helpful.
By the way, how inconvenient is using the dry wall screen as opposed to the flattening plates? I'm already trying to figure out my next purchase after the stones!

You should have a flattening plate. The Atoma 140 does a good job if you use light pressure. It's also a nice tool for fixing major chips and broken tips.

Diamond flattening plates are much nicer and faster to use than say sanding paper (grit around 150 if I recall properly). I used sanding paper on a floor tile (for the flatness) before I got my diamond plate from JKI (which is very good and cheaper than Atoma). You can do with sand paper - it will get to job done. Once you have the funds you can get the diamond plate. In other words it is 'nice to have', but not 'must have'.

Back