Nooooooooooo! Don't cut THAT!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado_cutter

Reaction score
Caught my wife about to cut an ice cube in half with my Ashi shirogami vegetable cleaver. Noooooooooo! She was like, "Well, if I don't use this one, which one DO I use?" (She was cutting a piece of ice to put in the kid's soup to cool it down). That's the trouble with cleavers- everybody thinks they're axes just because they're big...

She's mostly gotten better, though. When we met, she was using a glass cutting board. Or was it marble?

LOL, buy your wife a cheap stainless Chinese bone cleaver, it will tough out anything she wants to cut.....

My girlfriend doesn't even want to touch my Takeda's for instance, she's afraid she's going to mess them up or cut herself. I hope she's going to use them btw, they're for cutting, not to put on display.

My wife want touch my J-knives for fear of screwing one up and how sharp they are. I've tried many times to get her to us them but she refuses. Still uses the stainless Made in Japan knives we had before the made in China stuff got big. They're about 35yrs old.

My wife want touch my J-knives for fear of screwing one up and how sharp they are. I've tried many times to get her to us them but she refuses. Still uses the stainless Made in Japan knives...
....that she brought with her when she moved to NY in the early 90's. I think she'll be buried with her Kiya santoku.

Still trying to convince her that she needs Stephan's Hello Kitty handle.

LOL, buy your wife a cheap stainless Chinese bone cleaver, it will tough out anything she wants to cut.....

Then make sure you don't get caught cheating... Could end poorly for your bone

Lol ecchef, reading my comment again I see you weren't even asking me, but Colorado right? Just woke up when I replied.

Yep, exactly. The cheap thick stainless Chinese cleaver we have is what I pointed to when I answered her question, and it's usually her "go to" knife. I guess the fact that I left the Ashi on the board and the fact that the Ashi is "bigger" than the other cleaver (although thinner) just had her grabbing the fancy knife.

At christmas time I walked into the kitchen and caught my sister using a $140 paring knife to cut the foil off a bottle of wine. I asked her if it it was ok for me to use her good sewing shears to wrap presents. She got the point and hasn't done it again:D

I bet it didn't cause any damage that a 5-minute session on the stones wouldn't fix.

I'm standing by the server's area watching one cut lemons with a steak knife on the stainless steal counter. I tell her, "Ya know Jenny, what your doing goes against every fiber of my being?"
She proudly displays her work, "Yeah but look what I get?" "Looks like Sh&t" was my reply. She had the longest look on her face while the boys laughed out loud.

Not sure why it was so damn funny but we laughed about it all night. (She's blonde BTW)

Very true, but it's a matter of respect.

Be well,
Mikey

Maybe. I'm sure they didn't even know they were doing anything wrong. Sound like it's more of a matter of perspective and ignorance on the user than disrespect towards you. Anyway, if I need to worry about how the knife will be after cutting the foil off a wine bottle... Life ain't worth living when it's that stressful.

....that she brought with her when she moved to NY in the early 90's. I think she'll be buried with her Kiya santoku.

Still trying to convince her that she needs Stephan's Hello Kitty handle.

Stepan just finished a pink Hello Kitty handle wt. a kitty epoxed endcap.We were wondering who would end up buying it,A manly man or a foxy lady.

if I need to worry about how the knife will be after cutting the foil off a wine bottle... Life ain't worth living when it's that stressful.

Ever actually seen somebody casually cut the foil off a bottle with a paring knife? They usually grind it against the glass pretty badly. I'd own glass cutting boards if I liked edge on glass action, and I bet mkriggen is the same way.

Ever actually seen somebody casually cut the foil off a bottle with a paring knife? They usually grind it against the glass pretty badly. I'd own glass cutting boards if I liked edge on glass action, and I bet mkriggen is the same way.

Some of those foils are really really thick.

k.

I have, and I've done it:

12200493173_b4230781c2_c.jpg

It's not razor sharp any more, but it's not damaged, either.

I would classify that as simple wear since a knife will dull over time from use any way. Damage is like a chip, a broken tip, a gouge in the Ironwood handle, or warping of the handles. Do you consider driving as damaging your tires?

Life too short to argue about how someone uses and doesn't use a knife.

Adios.

Using that logic one could argue that since sharpening removes metal, that sharpening is damaging the knife.

Sharpening is maintenance, but in the hands of some people I'm sure you could consider it as damage.

maintenance: the process of maintaining or preserving someone or something, or the state of being maintained.
damage: physical harm caused to something in such a way as to impair its value, usefulness, or normal function.

Back