Noyer Magnetic Knife rack

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBT-Splint

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Magnetic knife rack these days for the sole purpose of displaying my knives, I realized it was silly to let such beautiful items sit in the shadow of my knife bag.
I've looked into quiet a lot of them and finally found one that pleases my eye (and equally importantly the eyes of the person living with me 😁 ), but I couldn't find any review or more pictures/video on KKF , Youtube or anywhere else. I'm reaching out to you hoping that someone here has it on his wall and can tell me what he thinks about it.

https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifestorage/magnetic_holder/magnetlist_60-detail
I would also like to open this thread to advice or warning about knife racks in general.
And of course if you have another good one (that I can find), it would be very much appreciated.

60cm_noyer_400x400.jpg
noyer_60_1.jpg

noyer_back3_400x400.jpg
noyer_long7_400x400.jpg

Piotr the bear salmon leather bars is the sexiest I've seen so far I think. But I think he have supply issues on the leather.

I don’t have the salmon leather but 2nd Piotr racks in general. Mine are the black leather. Excellent fit and finish and the leather provides some cushion to the blades. Love mine.

I've just bought a black leather Piotr last week. But what am I doing wrong - I feel the unit isn't completely securely mounted on the wall? There is no 'construction', just two screws and two holes where they fit in. I even had to buy plugs to go in the wall. My Rosle wall mount system is much more secure.

Its important that the magnets go to the edge of the knife bar otherwise knives wont stick there, decreasing the usable length of the bar. The magnets need to have an even force along the length of the bar otherwise knives will pivot on the stronger spots and the knives might even shift to one side or the other to stick where the magnets are strongest. Strong magnets are needed to hold the knives in place.

Piotr the bear salmon leather bars is the sexiest I've seen so far I think. But I think he have supply issues on the leather.
Whoh I wasn't expecting that, it's something ! Not very discreet some might say but definitely special.

I don’t have the salmon leather but 2nd Piotr racks in general. Mine are the black leather. Excellent fit and finish and the leather provides some cushion to the blades. Love mine.
Would you say that the leather is necessary ? I think I prefer the look of pure wood but digging into the magnetic knife rack subject got me thinking that it might scratch the blade and sometimes the leather diminish the strenght of the magnet allowing for an easier "knife release". any thoughts ?

Its important that the magnets go to the edge of the knife bar otherwise knives wont stick there, decreasing the usable length of the bar. The magnets need to have an even force along the length of the bar otherwise knives will pivot on the stronger spots and the knives might even shift to one side or the other to stick where the magnets are strongest. Strong magnets are needed to hold the knives in place.
Makes sense, ill make sure to be careful about that.

Would you say that the leather is necessary ? I think I prefer the look of pure wood but digging into the magnetic knife rack subject got me thinking that it might scratch the blade and sometimes the leather diminish the strenght of the magnet allowing for an easier "knife release". any thoughts ?
The leather is really soft to your knives so it's definitely a plus. Also the magnet in the Piotr is very strong, no problem holding knives even at the edge. I have the large 50cm rack.

I already had the Rosle mount system using magnets. This is a perfect solution for knives where it's not a big issue if the blade touches the metal of the Rosle magnet. So I use this system for my Mac bread knife, Misono Swedish honesuki and petty, and even my Munetoshi petty. The Piotr I am using for my more expensive knives. See pic. Only issue with the Piotr is as I said it's not as secure on the wall as my Rosle out of the box. Meaning every time I pick a knife from it I have to hold the Piotr rack (also because its magnet is strong).
930A1A53-88C4-4C71-8AA7-472F627F637E.jpeg

Attachments

• 350DA288-3206-4A87-81A0-D9E9D6CDDE03.jpeg
    350DA288-3206-4A87-81A0-D9E9D6CDDE03.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 25
The leather is really soft to your knives so it's definitely a plus. Also the magnet in the Piotr is very strong, no problem holding knives even at the edge. I have the large 50cm rack.

I already had the Rosle mount system using magnets. This is a perfect solution for knives where it's not a big issue if the blade touches the metal of the Rosle magnet. So I use this system for my Mac bread knife, Misono Swedish honesuki and petty, and even my Munetoshi petty. The Piotr I am using for my more expensive knives. See pic. Only issue with the Piotr is as I said it's not as secure on the wall as my Rosle out of the box. Meaning every time I pick a knife from it I have to hold the Piotr rack (also because its magnet is strong).

Sweet knives you got there
Would you say that the magnet in the piotr is too strong ? Do you have any problems with your knives slamming on the rack ?
I'd kind of like to have a magnet that is quiet smooth on the knives to remove them without problems..
And while I'm at it:), did you have any issues with the kurouchi finish of your munetoshi "rubbing off" because of the rack ?

OK - having just made a knife rack for our son, I may actually be able to contribute to this topic, (or not... ;) ).

The magnets need to be strong enough to hold knives through whatever material you use be it wood or leather covered wood. The magnetic force should not be strong enough to make it difficult to remove a knife, and as mentioned above, the magnets should be equally spaced. Anyone with the tools can make one, but getting it right is not guaranteed. So I'd stick with someone who has a good reputation for making this type of rack. Or at least a good return policy. :rolleyes:

And good magnets ain't cheap. Most of the ones sold on Amazon won't hack it...

Sweet knives you got there
Would you say that the magnet in the piotr is too strong ? Do you have any problems with your knives slamming on the rack ?
I'd kind of like to have a magnet that is quiet smooth on the knives to remove them without problems..
And while I'm at it:), did you have any issues with the kurouchi finish of your munetoshi "rubbing off" because of the rack ?
The magnet is just right. Easy to remove knives while keeping them secure on the rack. Also no issues with the kurouchi rubbing off, not even on my Rosle rack.

If you’re in Europe, meesterslijpers.nl has the 50cm for just 120 euro.

I've just bought a black leather Piotr last week. But what am I doing wrong - I feel the unit isn't completely securely mounted on the wall? There is no 'construction', just two screws and two holes where they fit in. I even had to buy plugs to go in the wall. My Rosle wall mount system is much more secure.

From my experience it takes some trial and error to get the screws to the perfect depth so that the rack stays tight to the wall.

I wouldn’t say it’s necessary but it feels better to me when putting a knife back on the rack. I don’t like the “thwack” you get with some wooden racks. I have tried several and the Piotr is very solid but if I need to slide the knife some to make a minor adjustment I can.

OK - having just made a knife rack for our son, I may actually be able to contribute to this topic, (or not... ;) ).

The magnets need to be strong enough to hold knives through whatever material you use be it wood or leather covered wood. The magnetic force should not be strong enough to make it difficult to remove a knife, and as mentioned above, the magnets should be equally spaced. Anyone with the tools can make one, but getting it right is not guaranteed. So I'd stick with someone who has a good reputation for making this type of rack. Or at least a good return policy. :rolleyes:

It's a very good job you did there ! I wish I had the tools to make one myself (and the skills). Out of curiosity, what dit it cost you to build this ? Except precious time :)

The magnet is just right. Easy to remove knives while keeping them secure on the rack. Also no issues with the kurouchi rubbing off, not even on my Rosle rack.

If you’re in Europe, meesterslijpers.nl has the 50cm for just 120 euro.
Ok thank you I'm strongly considering the piotr now and thanks for the website it's considerably cheaper there ! :eek: I will probably buy a piotr and one of the ones I have seen too if I can't decide 😁

Attachments

• F16ECAA0-ED78-466C-B4CD-7F52F0BC5771_1_105_c.jpeg
    F16ECAA0-ED78-466C-B4CD-7F52F0BC5771_1_105_c.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 50
I have Piotr wall strip as well as countertop model. Both are great. Once screws are right depth the wall strip is pretty much locked in. I’ve found going spine first on works best putting knives on the strip. Remove by rotating towards spine then lifting off

This for putting knives on and taking the off

I have two magnetic strips: MOC Woodworks (order direct, M.O.C. Woodworks Wood Magnetic knife holder) and Woodsom (can order direct or from Amazon), both have good strong magnetics and come in a variety of nice woods. I would agree with other posters, most Amazon sold ones probably do not have as good of magnets but the Woodsom sold on Amazon does. The MOC Woodworks is better made with better grade of wood, also more expensive. Not sure if you can get these in Europe.

Mine are attached to tile wall with 3M VHB tape (0.5in RP45). Most manufacturers recommend against this but I think they are worried people will use 3M command strips versus 3M industrial adhesive tape. The tape I used is rated for 80+ pounds per square inch both pull and shear strength. It can be released with alcohol (forgot what percentage) if you need to remove it. Some caveats: hard smooth non porous surfaces give better bond strength. It is pressure activated so need to apply a lot of pressure when first attaching. Needs around three days to fully cure and temp should 70 to 100 F (21 to 38 C) while curing (no problem most of year where I live).

Last edited:
It's a very good job you did there ! I wish I had the tools to make one myself (and the skills). Out of curiosity, what dit it cost you to build this ? Except precious time :)

Well, I had the wood on hand, but as I said, the magnets were expensive. I needed 34 and they were $2.37 each - a little over $80 plus shipping.
They came from K&J Magnetic

20201218_144241.jpg

IKEA Kungsfor rack, wrapped in leather tape from Amazon, as I'm cheap. The IKEA rack has good strength, but the stainless steel on this one start to scratch the knives (hence the leather). I'd had a older shorter one from IKEA that was black painted than never scratched a knife.

I have Piotr wall strip as well as countertop model. Both are great. Once screws are right depth the wall strip is pretty much locked in. I’ve found going spine first on works best putting knives on the strip. Remove by rotating towards spine then lifting off
View attachment 106873
The coutertop model looks good , your kitchen could use some more gyutos tho

I made a rack out of Hemlock. Cut 1/8" off the face, routered and placed 100 of the ones from amazon(for a 4 foot stretch) and glued the face back on. I place my blades edge down(with the handle resting on top) but, the magnets will hold a 13oz Sabatier "free hanging" no problem.

The Amazon ones aren't the best for sure, but it would've cost me 3x as much $$$ for better magnets.

I bought two from Norden Designs on Etsy. Several different wood choices, makes them any length you want. Very nice quality and reasonably priced.
Ken

View attachment 106884

IKEA Kungsfor rack, wrapped in leather tape from Amazon, as I'm cheap. The IKEA rack has good strength, but the stainless steel on this one start to scratch the knives (hence the leather). I'd had a older shorter one from IKEA that was black painted than never scratched a knife.

Based on ideas from this forum I made something similar to esoo. Two Kungsfor racks with just a sheet of leather on the face. Still playing around with the best way to glue/shape the leather .I didn't feel confident in just 1 rack because some knives kept shifting on their own over time or whenever another knife was removed/put back (because of the way the magnets are positioned) and this just keeps them 100% in place.

1608328408398.png

Here is my magnet rack - walnut with razin. Like it a lot, reminds me of the blue rivers that cross my country.

Attachments

• DSC04961.JPG
    DSC04961.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC04971.JPG
    DSC04971.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Kgp
Back