ODC (Old Dirty Carbon)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work! I like the combinations.

You know these knives Lefty - they are great workhorses and take a keen sheen, a steep edge - and they hold it!!.

I had a chance to try out three different handle styles and while they are all great feeling the last one fits me better. + I'm looking at the thumb aspect - know what I mean? All in all these were like the most fun of any of the knives I've done lately after the 8" Ekco forge, 12" Ontario, the two Dexters and the Lamson/Goodnows. All the rest are Japanese. I love putting good looking and functional handles on knives that are "Deservon "O" de Conversion".

The CF handled knife was made by Landi. Nice thin grind and a joy to use with very good balance. Typical 1095 steel in that it forms a nice patina, easy to sharpen, and has decent edge holding.

A good friend sent me this. It was in fairly rough shape, but I sanded it down, polished it up, put an edge on from XXC DMT, and finished at 1k, with a newsprint strop. It's going to make one hell of a BBQ knife, frozen food knife and of course, little splitter. What a beauty!

62B9DCA4-69CB-4B5D-B488-50513B44DB69-27237-00001E8CA4324B1E.jpg

It was a gift! What, do I have no morals??? :D

Send it to me! It needs a wa

That handle has years left in it :)

I actually keep a 6 inch version in my car as kind of a beater/rescue knife/ seatbelt cutter... Its a great multi use knife.

I've been designing a couple rescue knives...a wa rescue knife, you say.........

I just found this little guy, today. It's a 150 petty, and from what I can figure, was made between 1901 and 1934, with a feeling it's in the 10s. Joseph Rodgers G R stamp, with "His Majesty", etc. This thing is thin and the profile is perfect! I noticed I'm not feeling how it cuts though. It really wants to steer, which I'll have to fix up, but it does enjoy goin through things. :D

17EE67E3-810E-4065-B186-607224C60B1B-269-0000001E0EC60887.jpg

FB4244A4-0343-476C-8F60-CAC13D89D68F-269-0000001E1D36214D.jpg

The steel is surprisingly hard to move. I'm curious if anyone might know what steel it is, and anything else that's cool about it. Ahem...Son, or steeley...ahem....

That's nice. I've only seen something from them once, an I remember it being hard to move, steel that is. Great find. Maybe you should send it to me to fix up, lol. J/k, but really nice find though

pure virgin carbon baby! That my friend was made by the best of the best of its time. Once you get it all squared away, you won't want to ever give it up. That steel should be pretty hard for its time also. I'm sure it has a ring to it when you flick it.
lucky bastard!

It is rock hard, deadly sharp, sounds funny on the board AND is incredibly non-reactive for carbon. I'm honestly in awe.

The crazy thing is, I know I'm only about 60% to its potential sharpness. Crazy, crazy steel.

pure virgin carbon baby! That my friend was made by the best of the best of its time. Once you get it all squared away, you won't want to ever give it up. That steel should be pretty hard for its time also. I'm sure it has a ring to it when you flick it.
lucky bastard!
Swedish ore I guess?

These two are off to their new homes. I hope the new owners love them!

I had to go DMT 220 to get 98% of the ding out of the Pre Forgecraft chef knife. It turned out pretty well. I hope this piece of knife history gets some good use, and I'm pretty sure it will!

C4CF14A3-094B-4EE9-9EAA-548B67D82B97-15225-00001563EC283AB8.jpg

I just have to say Lefty that I used that old dirty bastard (top one) quite often. There is something that just feels good about it.

k.

I use the bottom one as my goto. Just has a "feel" about it I love. Can't put it down

After seeing that pic of the American Grinding before I revived it, thought I'd show what it looks like now. It is currently my workhorse and sees any kind of cutting you can think of, and keeps begging for more

FQwlDdQ.jpg

Tom, you remember what this one look liked like a few hours ago, lol. I did fill the crack in the handle with some epoxy too, we'll see if it holds. If not, I'm sure my dad has some really old hickory laying around I can replicate the handle with. It's razor sharp now, and I got about 90% of the grinder marks out of the blade. It's amazing what a bored person with sandpaper and a imperial IPA can do in an evening, lol

nLvCt11.jpg

OK, Jmadams thanks for reviving this not so old thread...figured I'd try to contribute some ODC myself.

newdirtycarbon2_zpsc977bf72.jpg

newdirtycarbon_zpsa4063d93.jpg

The small knife is my 10" Sab. Scored these beauties from Son.

Think I felt it move a little, lol. Wow, that dexter is a beauty

Used the Dexter tonight, it was amazing--never could imagine a 14" blade feeling so good, especially for only using it once. I am totally in love with the Henckels and I will break it in tomorrow. Both blades are in awesome condition and I couldn't be happier!

Cheers!

Back