ODC (Old Dirty Carbon)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you go about cleaning these?
I used a progression of sandpapers and elbow grease. I started with 80 grit and went to 200, 400, 600, and 800 grit wet/dry automotive sandpapers. I wrap the paper around a small block that's about the same width as the blade, and sand it on my sharpening bridge. And try to go from the heel to the tip and back again in continuous motions. These two photos are after I used the 80 grit, but I kept using the 80 grit even after these pics were taken. The pitted rust spot is still visible near the tip:

aUICtIv.jpg

DYL7fBX.jpg

I used a good bit of 80 grit before I started going up in grits. Was necessary to sand it down far enough to get most of the pitting out. The spot near the tip still has some slight pitting, but the black rust is meow gone.

nice work!
Thanks! :)

Those look pretty good. I like the big chef's knife and the parer.
The chef knife was definitely my fave.

They turned out great. I bet it was hard to give back, lol. Did you at least take one out for a good time on the board?
Thanks! And yes, they definitely were. I used the chef knife and paring knife to make dinner the night I started working on em after I put a quick edge on em. Just so I could use em for a bit. The pictures above were taken right before I used em. :D

Nice Olde Forge 10" chef. This was NOS and had no edge to speak of. A tang job for conversion, rounded spine and reworked choil and a 70/30 edge and it's good to go. Killer profile on these too.

IMG_20130515_210921_zpse52fd86c.jpg

IMG_20130515_210913_zps5f99f1b0.jpg

Yeah and a choil shot too -
IMG_20130515_210942_zps6c586e0a.jpg

Mike, we need to talk, lol. You have lots of ODC, and I need more....

What do you do with a dinky (3") Ecko Forge paring knife . . . :scratchhead:

Why convert it to Wa of course . . . :idea2:

I thought I'd make a nice turning knife out of it. I reshaped the tip, rounded the spine and reground & rounded the choil. I was thinking of making a scale handle, but then it would be pretty much useless except for maybe opening mail.

After a trip to the band saw
IMG_20130516_081202_zpsb88b0ec0.jpg

Gotta love a box of wood scraps - in this case east indian rosewood and curly maple
IMG_20130516_171323_zps61c52e0b.jpg

And some pin stubs
IMG_20130516_171345_zps1514fcc1.jpg

I used a progression of sandpapers and elbow grease. I started with 80 grit and went to 200, 400, 600, and 800 grit wet/dry automotive sandpapers. I wrap the paper around a small block that's about the same width as the blade, and sand it on my sharpening bridge. And try to go from the heel to the tip and back again in continuous motions. These two photos are after I used the 80 grit, but I kept using the 80 grit even after these pics were taken. The pitted rust spot is still visible near the tip:

aUICtIv.jpg

DYL7fBX.jpg

I used a good bit of 80 grit before I started going up in grits. Was necessary to sand it down far enough to get most of the pitting out. The spot near the tip still has some slight pitting, but the black rust is meow gone.

Thanks! :)

The chef knife was definitely my fave.

Thanks! And yes, they definitely were. I used the chef knife and paring knife to make dinner the night I started working on em after I put a quick edge on em. Just so I could use em for a bit. The pictures above were taken right before I used em. :D

Very nice work! Wouldn't worry too much about that spot near to the tip. I use a brass brush to clean up the deepest pits. They may reappear, though. As long as it's no active rust I don't care to much and force a patina.

What do you do with a dinky (3") Ecko Forge paring knife . . . :scratchhead:

Why convert it to Wa of course . . . :idea2:

I thought I'd make a nice turning knife out of it. I reshaped the tip, rounded the spine and reground & rounded the choil. I was thinking of making a scale handle, but then it would be pretty much useless except for maybe opening mail.

After a trip to the band saw
IMG_20130516_081202_zpsb88b0ec0.jpg

Gotta love a box of wood scraps - in this case east indian rosewood and curly maple
IMG_20130516_171323_zps61c52e0b.jpg

And some pin stubs
IMG_20130516_171345_zps1514fcc1.jpg

Nice one!

got a card board box of about 20 junk knives, in-amongst assorted cutco & vanadium stainless crap were these

DSC_0007.JPG

the top 2 are ForgeCraft 6 & 8 inches
The bottom Carving Set say Landers Frary & Clark AETNA Works.
I know the Forgecraft ones are keepers, but is the LF&C set worth the effort to clean up & re-profile to fix the broken tip?

got a card board box of about 20 junk knives, in-amongst assorted cutco & vanadium stainless crap were these

DSC_0007.JPG

the top 2 are ForgeCraft 6 & 8 inches
The bottom Carving Set say Landers Frary & Clark AETNA Works.
I know the Forgecraft ones are keepers, but is the LF&C set worth the effort to clean up & re-profile to fix the broken tip?

yes, definitely worth it.

lots of Landers Frary & Clark collectors out there and the stuff that came out of the Aetna Works were top notch and that is an old set you got there. Probably around 1880's or 1890's

LF and C is top notch. I sold a "petty" of theirs that was an amazing knife. Nice score!

lots of Landers Frary & Clark collectors out there and the stuff that came out of the Aetna Works were top notch and that is an old set you got there. Probably around 1880's or 1890's

Nice to know, I was on the verge of tossing em back into the box with the rest of the dumpster candidates.
The blade has way more flex than I care for & I'm not into Antler handles either.

I just received an unmarked 10" chef with a killer profile - just gorgeous. Only caveat is it's convex on the LEFT side and concave on the RIGHT side . . . Go figure - it's perfect for Lefties . . . so lefties stay tuned :moonwalk:

Hey Lefty, I meant to tell you that the slicer I ordered from you arrived safely and I enjoyed it so much I started looking for more forgecraft to play with. Got this bullnose and a cleaver is on the way.

Thanks a lot,
Michael

ODC1_zps184db193.jpg

Got this little guy from Lefty, when ordering some shaving stuff. I see the appeal in these oldtimers. Thanks again Lefty, I like your style!

Evolution of a nice little Old Hickory by Ontario -

IMG_20130517_075155_zps3175ae20.jpg

IMG_20130517_075557_zpsb351ade4.jpg

IMG_20130517_081722_zpsc4615fb0.jpg

IMG_20130522_073845_zps013be895.jpg

Looks cool, but one question... Why did you need to rehandle? It's seemed to be in pretty decent shape to begin with?

Oh I could have left it as is . . . but where's the sport in that? :groucho:

Looks cool, but one question... Why did you need to rehandle? It's seemed to be in pretty decent shape to begin with?

I have a NOS Case XX 8 in chef knife in carbon steel, the handle is in mint shape but its like holding a 2x4 with a blade attached. When I get a chance I will rehandle it.

I have a NOS Case XX 8 in chef knife in carbon steel, the handle is in mint shape but its like holding a 2x4 with a blade attached. When I get a chance I will rehandle it.

I'm a purist. I like my ODC as original as possible. Not that I dont like a repurposing once in a while, and Mikes stuff is great, I just like it original.

My first instinct to your post was to reply NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!! And then cry a little. But then I realized its not my knife, lol. I totally agree with a rehandle if it's needed. Then go nuts, but with NOS, I just feel its a little uncalled for. Sorry to jump down your throat, us knife guys get a little touchy over stuff like this, lol. You should here the crap I get over removing the KU finish from some of mine. We just care, albeit a little to much.

Any pics?

The truth is I find knives like that old hickory uncomfortable to use. They are the epitome of mass production with no artisan soul to them. The steel is good however so I'm just helping them be all they can be.

I will post photos soon. No worries mate I didn't take offense. I am glad I didn't talk about re-handling a ginzu or cutco knife.:justkidding:

Found a Samuel Lee #7 recently. I don't see much use on it for the age. Might have been used as decoration ?

IMG_0030_zpse5247617.jpg

yeah, I wanna see some more pics of the handle.
very gnarly

Back