Okonomiyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefwp

no electrons were harmed creating this KKF content
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was out with friends to try a Ramen place we haven't been to, the okonomiyaki was revelatory. I've never had anything quite like it. Do you know how I feel, like you feel like you've been cooking the same sort of stuff, maybe with minor variations, and feel the same way about the food you get when you are out, might be extremely good, might be prepared a way you've never imagined, but still a variation on the familiar? Then one day, when you aren't really expecting it, wham, you bite into something and think, "finally, something new and interesting!" Now I did a search on okonomiyaki on KKF, and it appears it is probably old-hat for many of you, but not for me. I think with 2023 right around the corner, I am going to study and experiment with this. Y'all got any tips or killer recipes?

Oh man. Okonomiyaki is the best. I wish my family liked it as well... I will watch this space! Send pics to drool over too please.

This looks doable enough, but note that it is not made with the Japanese long yam (nagaimo) or mountain yam (yamaimo), which a friend of mine assures me I can find easily in the Asian markets in Pittsburgh, but I might start here.

Yesterday's dinner was okonomiyaki and it's one of the dishes that never gets old I think. There's two basic types, Osaka style which is just cabbage mixed with batter and typically pork belly or seafood, and Hiroshima style in which case batter, pork belly, cabbage, noodles and egg are layered. Hiroshima style is more difficult to do at home but fun and very savoury. Osaka style allows for many variations with all kinds of toppings. For the batter, it's best to use long yam and not too much flour so it becomes fluffy. But you can also achieve that with good quality bread flour and mayonnaise or so, just need to experiment with the amount. Just don't press the batter down or it will become doughy. The most famous sauce to put on top is from "Otafuku" and I think it should be available in many countries. It's quite strong and I like other more delicate sauces better, but it's a very good starting point for the typical okonomiyaki flavour.

Last edited:
Was out with friends to try a Ramen place we haven't been to, the okonomiyaki was revelatory. I've never had anything quite like it. Do you know how I feel, like you feel like you've been cooking the same sort of stuff, maybe with minor variations, and feel the same way about the food you get when you are out, might be extremely good, might be prepared a way you've never imagined, but still a variation on the familiar? Then one day, when you aren't really expecting it, wham, you bite into something and think, "finally, something new and interesting!" Now I did a search on okonomiyaki on KKF, and it appears it is probably old-hat for many of you, but not for me. I think with 2023 right around the corner, I am going to study and experiment with this. Y'all got any tips or killer recipes?
Why so stingy with the name?

FD7E6A9E-C52C-486B-BF3E-E308C565CBB2.gif

I live in PA. I might want to taste it. 🥺
Oh duh, that seems obvious now, sorry. The place is Fujiya Ramen in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh. If you go, I think I should meet up with you and make sure the okonamiyaki is up to par!

That looks really neat. Never heard of it, but that instruction video makes it look possible.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/okonomiyaki/
I am blasphemous per usual. I’m sure it would be better more authentically, but I use what’s available and the flavors seem to hit well so I can live with the substitutions.

I’ve done this recipe 2-3x, big hit with everyone even my mom who isn’t big on fish flavors.

I’ve never found the yam, so I follow the suggestion to double the leavening. No complaints here. Likewise the tempura scraps are impossible for me to find without ordering online, and I dislike deep frying with a passion. I subbed in panko in its place last time, seemed fine texture wise but definitely didn’t add crunch. I imagine plain puffed rice could work for the role of crunch/texture.

I wonder if plain Cheerios would work if you added them after the rest period so they weren’t soggy.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/okonomiyaki/
I am blasphemous per usual. I’m sure it would be better more authentically, but I use what’s available and the flavors seem to hit well so I can live with the substitutions.

I’ve done this recipe 2-3x, big hit with everyone even my mom who isn’t big on fish flavors.

I’ve never found the yam, so I follow the suggestion to double the leavening. No complaints here. Likewise the tempura scraps are impossible for me to find without ordering online, and I dislike deep frying with a passion. I subbed in panko in its place last time, seemed fine texture wise but definitely didn’t add crunch. I imagine plain puffed rice could work for the role of crunch/texture.
Puffed rice should work just fine I guess! You can also just leave it out, it can be a nice touch but nothing essential. Yam is also really nice if you have but no big deal if you don’t. I think most restaurants would use it, but many people make it without at home. It’s a dish that is really open for variation and experimentation as it’s very savory and not about clear tastes anyway, so I think it’s great that people come with with ideas like using puffed rice!

Back