Older Sakai Takayuki Ho Handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDA_NC

Reaction score
So I bought a Takayuki 210mm VG-10 Damascus gyuto from CKTG in 2012. This was based off the ChefTalk forums and BDL's recommendations (although he actually liked the Grand Chef).

When the knife arrived I wasn't too excited about it. The blade seemed flimsy and cheap compared to my Hiromoto AS & Masakage Yuki and I wasn't really a fan of the faux damascus. I talked a little with CKTG about returning it but it seemed like more of a hassle than it was worth so I ended up putting it away with the idea that I might gift it to another cook down the line.

I was cooking yesterday at home and I needed to split a chicken. The wife's Chicago Cutlery set which we normally would use is hopelessly beat-up so I ended up pulling out the Takayuki for the task.

The first thing that struck me was the knife's handle. I hadn't really noticed it before. It's incredibly comfortable and I've never used anything similar. It's like an oval & octagonal hybrid. The top and sides are like that of an octagonal but the bottom is smooth and rounded like an oval shaped handle. Ho wood is my favorite material for handles and it's got the light-weight and nice, unfinished grippy characteristics of it.

Here's some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/HWnqxti

I found it interesting and was wondering if anyone knew of the terminology for this style of handle and/or if anyone else is making knives with these or selling them alone.

Thanks!

That's one called 六角半丸 in Japanese (Hexagonal[六角]-half[半]-rounded[丸] (?). It seems some say simply hexiagonal handle and some others call it “round-hex”.

Sakai Takayuki sells handles alone so contact a resller to see if you can get one?

I found a seller in Japan who ships to overseas, but I’m not sure if this store supports English well (they use google translte).

I don’t see “Yo-gyuto” category on the size table on the store page, so you would need to ask which size fits your wa-gyuto.

https://www.mitusaburo.jp/包丁の付属品-雑貨/包丁用柄/

That's one called 六角半丸 in Japanese (Hexagonal[六角]-half[半]-rounded[丸] (?). It seems some say simply hexiagonal handle and some others call it “round-hex”.

Sakai Takayuki sells handles alone so contact a resller to see if you can get one?

I found a seller in Japan who ships to overseas, but I’m not sure if this store supports English well (they use google translte).

I don’t see “Yo-gyuto” category on the size table on the store page, so you would need to ask which size fits your wa-gyuto.

https://www.mitusaburo.jp/包丁の付属品-雑貨/包丁用柄/

Great info. Thank you!

You do not see these made as much anymore as demand has increasingly changed since 2012. Handle makers make in lots and switching out dowels and parts becomes a hassle when you’re already behind on regular handle orders.

I haven’t seen a “Han-Maru” (half-round) handle in awhile. But no hurt in trying to see if someone has one.

Another chance is Suisin. I found their wa-gyuto come with this type of handles.

Why not ease the two bottom edges yourself? Unless I'm missing something, it'd be short work with a good rasp; I have a few Japanese wood working rasps that leave a nice finish.

Back