On the bench, or what I am up to

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pair of nice Parers. One AEB-L, one Damascus.

IMG_20140303_185915_zps448f0924.jpg

I'm in. Here is a gyuto I used to own, but times were tight and I had to sell it :scared4:
20131111_130158.jpg
It was a great cutter though and the O-1 steel was great.

Thanks Del!

I'm definitely in! Hard to choose between a parer or a gyuto, but I think I would have to say most wished for is a gyuto.

I'm in. How often do you make short 210-225 gyuto's? Also, when are you coming to another ECG?

Im definitely in. Parer pictured, Line Knife should be on its way, would love a Gyuto to round it out.

ealy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

100_1464.jpg
100_1467.jpg

I know I have been a little quiet on here in the last week. The two photos above are the reason. Ten finished knives in the last 7 days, as well as many blanks cut out and heat treated not pictured here. So if I'm a little quiet on the board it means I'm busting my a$$. The first batch was sent on Tuesday and the second was sent today.

On a lighter note, I usually wear a beard from dec 1 to feb 28.
100_1463.jpg

I have decided to keep it for a few weeks more and the next pic is the reason why.
The stick pictured is 3 inches wide and 3 feet long, this is in my front yard.
100_1465.jpg

Thanks,
Del

I'm in!

Got two parers in December. Gave one of them, kept the other one for myself:

fmngb5.jpg

Geez that's a lot of snow Del! Just means to keep warm, more time with the forge! ;)

I just received the top line knife in the mail today. Used it a little for dinner, quite a fun knife. I will report back after using it for service over the next couple weeks.

Im in with a grin! Cant post pics for some reason but i have a 210 AEB-L Gyuto in spalted oak and amboynia and a new profile stainless dammy parer wearing buck eye and bog oak. Love them both. The line knives continually perk my interest although i have never worked on the line in my life.... Ahhhh knifeknutism! (ill post pics when i figure out whats goin on)

Don't have anything of yours yet...but I'm in need of a quality paring knife, and the ones you do are amazing.

I'm in! Wanting to try out a 240 gyuto in O1 from you. Nice gesture with this giveaway!

100_1469.jpg
100_1471.jpg

Really crappy pic of the batch I finished today, I was in a bit of a hurry. I barely made it to the post office today.
I did decide to take the second pic of the first Damascus one. I have to say it was hard to say goodbye to that one.
Thanks,
Del

zounds.... dat damascus!

that's just gorgeous. looks really organic, and alive.

That's some fancy work Del! Love that damascus. You should've kept it and made another one for the customer hah!

Is it yours Hans??

If I'm not mistaken, I think the bottom one in the top picture is mine............ can't wait!!!

That damascus is absolutely incredible. I don't think I would be able to use that. I'd be too afraid to mess it up.

attachment.php
[/IMG]

Del, The line knife arrived and is sooo much more impressive in person!! This knife exceeded all my expectations - gorgeous handle, nice weight, fit & finish.... I'm thrilled to have gotten in on the pre-buy and i hope you do many more.

For what it's worth- what you charge for it puts it squarely in the 'use it daily" category. I will give it a good home and use it (and appreciate it!) in my daily rotation...

Thanks again!!

Hadi

that crazy cool damascus line knife arrived yesterday - I waited a day before saying anything here as I knew I'd be using it today for breakfast and lunch, and wanted to see how it was working out. bad cell phone pic below, but this knife is really great - has a very solid feel in hand, a bit handle heavy, and just amazingly gorgeous. Definitely a winner - I think I'll be using this a lot.

thanks Del!

ealy_2_zps1a6515ab.jpg

That really did turn out to be an awesome piece, I may have to start using that pattern a bit more.
Forging out Damascus today for the last of the line knives, just finished. I'm welding up a billet of San Mai with 416 and O-1 since I have the forge going anyway. I'm hoping to make some knives out of it for the show if everything goes right.
Spent time yesterday grinding out the last of the line knives, except for the Damascus one. Spending a few minutes here and there planning out what I'm going to make to take to the show. It was nice to fire up the forge after eating dust for a couple of weeks. I finally let my beard go yesterday too, it just felt like the right time.
Thanks,
Del

That damascus line knife is a stunner Del! One lucky HBeernink :)

OK better pics- had a bit of time this afternoon and shot some knives. After doing some work this morning with the line knife, I'm pretty hooked on it. I really like the balance on this style (handle heavy) and the overall profile. Really excellent design.

damascussuji2_zpsbe91668a.jpg

damascussuji_zpscf5785ec.jpg

I mostly took today off, everyone needs those now and then. I did go out to the shop and take a look at the San Mai billet I did yesterday. Not quite the yield I had hoped for, but I did get enough for one line knife and a parer. I may try to squeeze in making another billet in a few days. The last batch of line knives is ready for hand sanding and handles, I did the finish grinding on them after I finished forging last night. Tomorrow is going to be putting handles on the line knives, and then working on some show knives. Tuesday I should be finishing the handles, and getting them ready to ship. I'll try to take some pics of the knives I'll be doing for the show before I leave.
Del

I know I've been kinda quiet here, but trust me I've been busy in the shop. Glued up a dozen knives today, a couple of line knives, a couple of pettys and some paring knives in AEBL, stainless Damascus and carbon Damascus. Finishing handles over the next few days, and starting on some more knives as well. It's going good, but as always, I wish the pace was a bit faster. I have steps that I go through with each knife to make sure that it is done properly and the best work that I can do. I've had many late nights this week and I'm in for more. I'll try and take some pics when I go back out to the shop after dinner.
Thanks,
Del

Back