• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Oohira Renge Suita

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgertooth

Reaction score
Ohh la la.

On the block is a huge and perfect and unique Oohira Renge Suita.

210 x 90 x 30 1600g

Hardness 78
Fineness 85
Cutting strength 90
Mud level 50
Purity 100

First two photos are filtered to look cool, rest are unaltered:

u4xz1pE.jpg

nuiBiyR.jpg

The colour is what is most striking. It's blue in that same way as some bird eggs are blue, with a rich korma coloured ochre field on the top and tail. The Renge patterning is small, tight and dense.

bI5RWBZ.jpg

I'm use it's an immensely pleasant tactile stone at the perfect hardness for sharpening.

RHwz4lH.jpg

That slurry also turns yellow very quickly.

It is immensely powerful for polishing. I did a quick test for the hell of it. I jumped from a King 300 to the Oohira. While there are some deeper scratches still evident, it was a perfectly acceptable cheat finish. This stone feels like cheating.

Before

vBnHwbT.jpg

After

j4rbSRf.jpg

With a more sensible progression it leaves a very moody, cloudy finish. As good as any uchi
Here it is straight off the stone while still wet after a minute of lazy sloppy polishing:

hQRhqUe.jpg

Dry

hhReon5.jpg

$800 before shipping

Only the fact that I already have 3 great Ohira suitas keeps me in a reasonable distance from thinking about buying this beauty...I can imagine that especially the yellowish parts will be super nice for polishing, whereas the renge part will ensure a killer edge...Someone should buy this soon, before I will start to have wild dreams...

And 90 mm is just an optimal width for a stone...If someone would like to have only one great, universal as well as beautiful natural, I believe this one might be an optimal choice...

Im always confused when i see oohira. ohira and oohira are two different mines yes? Because i sometimes see an oohira stone on TheJNS website but on the description maxim refers to them as ohira which confuses things might just be a typo. So different mines yes? Sorry if im derailing

Im always confused when i see oohira. ohira and oohira are two different mines yes? Because i sometimes see an oohira stone on TheJNS website but on the description maxim refers to them as ohira which confuses things might just be a typo. So different mines yes? Sorry if im derailing
Just different transliteration, I think.

Gorgeous stone Badgertooth!
Can you provide pictures of the side and backside?
Without cheat sharpening, how close to mirror finish this massive beauty can come?

Gorgeous stone Badgertooth!
Can you provide pictures of the side and backside?
Without cheat sharpening, how close to mirror finish this massive beauty can come?

Hi sharpwheels, i will take some photos and post today. This stone will haze more than it will mirror, like an ultrafine sandblast. It's generally a harder finer stone that makes that next jump to motor. Something like these:

https://youtu.be/j3oxM8MuXVg

https://youtu.be/k3KrIzPGxDI

And 90 mm is just an optimal width for a stone...If someone would like to have only one great, universal as well as beautiful natural, I believe this one might be an optimal choice...

Thanks Jan,

90mm feels like an empty 4 lane highway with a vintage muscle car when I put the big Kato on it, very indulgent. And your assessment as an all rounder is spot on, this has the abrasive power to jump huge gaps and take the place of several lower grits; finishes high enough for every kitchen application except sashimi; leaves a beautiful polish while it does all of the above.

Thanks Badgertooth,
Thank you for your reply and informations.
Those two stones suits more what I am after since, I have a great Narutaki tomae which brings me a funky hazy Kasumi finish. But the sexiness of this stone has me scraping the bottom of my drawers....
I’m sure it will find a great home.

Nice one!

Reading the ratings and seeing the washi paper i would say .. Holy cow how did i miss this beauty from sonnkaisaku ;)
very nice one! ill get a 90mm wide yellow sick suita next week from him.

90mm is the best size! well 120 is the bes but .. not so regular ;))
stones that make sandblast finish are pretty cool

Back