• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS (Or trade) Rocks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
Once again clearing out some some stuff to fund more stuff. This is a sales post really though there are a couple of potential trade options mentioned at the end. I'm sure a lot of people know the drill by now, but here's a quick run-down just in case:

Prices quoted are in USD, not including shipping so give a shout with where you are and I can find out a postage quote, prices are hopefully pretty reasonable to account for this, but shipping to the US in particular is really quite cheap atm. Wise preferred, can do PP for +$5 per stone (yes it really is that much more expensive!). As ever these are lapped and ready to roll, with my honest thoughts about each. None are glued into their boxes any more, all can be removed for use with a holder or in-hand honing, and if you're not fussed about having the box - let me know as it might save a coupla quid postage.

---

Washita. 8x2. $60
Really good, fast but fine-finishing Washita. Very unusual in that it has properly noticeable red colouration coming in at the ends (it's not a Rosy Red though).

IMG-8600.jpg

IMG-8597.jpg

Charnley Forest 1. 8.5x2. $80
A reasonably fine-grained and quite hard Charnley. I would recommend more for razors than knives. A smidge over 2" wide.

IMG-8566.jpg

IMG-8551.jpg

Charnley Forest 2. 13x2.25. $225
Might regret letting something this unusual go, so won't mind at all if it doesn't sell. This is the largest CF I've ever seen; extremely long, pretty wide, and quite thick. I'd call it fairly typical for a CF, so best suited to very fine knife edges, or particularly razors and tools (imo, though obviously - YMMV). It has a few spots in the middle of the stone that were softer / sandy inclusions, which I've dug out and lowered so they don't effect it in use. But they are there.

IMG-8609.jpg

IMG-8608.jpg

Thuringian. 5x1. $35
Small late period dark/mottled Thuri, these are unquestionably razor stones rather than for knives. Box is original, but it doesn't have its label any more. This one is actually a little under 5x1 - it's 123x24x15mm.

IMG-8592.jpg

IMG-8595.jpg

---

Part 2 to follow...

Last edited:
Dalmore Blue. 8x2. $35
DBs are very underrated knife stones imo, bit like an Aoto/Aizu mashup. Really good edges, and can be used very nicely in a polishing progression. This is a little coarser than average, maybe 3k-ish. Doesn't have the pretty patterns they sometimes do.

IMG-8628.jpg

IMG-8632.jpg

Tam O'Shanter x Dalmore Blue Dual Hone. 5x2. $80
This is NOS, unused apart from me trying it out quickly. The Dalmore side is quite typical, around 3-4k, and is nicely patterned. The Tam side is a touch coarser than normal, maybe 6-7k.

IMG-8620.jpg

IMG-8619.jpg

AB Salmen Wood Box Silkstone. 8x2. $35
Two of these for sale, they're basically identical apart from one box is darker/grubbier than the other. Really nice razor finishers, but not for anything but the most polished of knife edges.

IMG-8606.jpg

IMG-8614.jpg

Dragon's Tongue / Aberllefenni Slate. 8x2. $20
Another one that's quite a typical example of its type. Fine knife edges, or pre-finisher for a razor.

IMG-8603.jpg

IMG-8602.jpg

And a couple of things I might be interested in terms of potential trade options:

1.) Old carbon 'nogent' Sabaiter Chef's knife. 8-11". Could be NOS, or OOS. Good condition, or in need of restoration.

2.) Kiridashi. I'm always on for fancy kiris, just not left-handed ones.

Last edited:
Mostly the US and UK for these I believe. Not needed but GLWS! We all know these will be gone soon. 🤣

Could you educate me and tell where in the world these stones originate?
Much appreciated!

Certainly!

Washita - USA
Charnley - England
Thuringian - Germany
Dalmore Blue - Scotland
Tam O'Shanter - Scotland
AB Salmen Silkstone - Wales (almost, but not 100% certain)
Dragon's Tongue - Wales

Great selection as always Oli.

Just out of curiosity, by "fash-finishing Washita" what grit range do you mean? Just trying to understand this kind of stone better.
I haven't used that particular stone, but it looks like it has some translucency to it... I'll guess it's probably about as fast as a SG500 and would be able to refine the apex to above ~4K+

thanks! now I want it but its too late :angiefavorite:

:(

Ah well, as DP said - Washitas are not uncommon stones, particularly in the UK. SG500 level would be right at the very end end of the Washita spectrum, a good, fast stone might normally be more like 800-4k. I've had a handful that would finish down as fast as 500, or even below, but they'd also tend to top out a little lower.

I think the only stones that are remaining are the two Charnleys and the DBxTam Dual Hone.

The Charns I would consider more razor stones, though if you want to slurry them with an atoma then they'll work very well for knives too. They're a form of novaculite, and novaculite slurry is seriously fast.

The DBxTam otoh is a very good knife stone. Or will do mid-range razor work, but I don't think this Tam is fine enough for good finishing.

The whole forum hates me cuz I flipped a knife and apparently was a dick about it so I’m not so sure. But as far as I understand, these are natural stones? And they don’t go by grit? Like how do you know what part of the grind it is?

The whole forum hates me cuz I flipped a knife and apparently was a dick about it so I’m not so sure. But as far as I understand, these are natural stones? And they don’t go by grit? Like how do you know what part of the grind it is?
Oh haha... Yeah, usually that's frowned upon here. But then again if the knife sold in the end I suppose it's the buyers decision. But being rude about it also probably didn't help. I'm not sure what the situation was so I'll stay clear.

I also thought this was another thread about cotedupy not his sale thread. Whoops...

Yes, all the stones in this listing are natural stones from the earth. For me if someone references a natural around X grit I take that as a reference rather than a set rule.

In efforts to not muck up a sales thread this will be my last reply here, feel free to start another thread though.

I think the only stones that are remaining are the two Charnleys and the DBxTam Dual Hone.

The Charns I would consider more razor stones, though if you want to slurry them with an atoma then they'll work very well for knives too. They're a form of novaculite, and novaculite slurry is seriously fast.

The DBxTam otoh is a very good knife stone. Or will do mid-range razor work, but I don't think this Tam is fine enough for good finishing.
Is the DBxTam available?

Back