Pepper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I insist on a pepper mill that has a rotary handle so that you can grind as much as possible without having to let go with one hand to reposition. Something along these lines:

31+7RmAgcbL._AA160_.jpg

71hfmdex1nS._SL1500_.jpg

I'm not suggesting that either of these are decent products...just illustrating what I intended in my description. In fact, a friend has the brass unit and it's coarsest setting is much finer than pre-ground black pepper. I like mine barely cracked...maybe one corn into 3-5 pieces.

The only peppermill in the world is a peugeot and I'll not hear otherwise.
e616c27dd4649c6d2ae72e5bc996282e.jpg

Still have it. The feeder ring is broken but it works great still. You can grind a ton of pepper with the thing.

Puegot fan.
Unicorn fan.
Zeiluss (sp?) fan
Vic Firth fan.
Mortar and Pestle (for Z) fan.

Penzeys fan.
Spice and Savory fan.
Chef Grind pepper fan.

I like pepper....

Unless I am missing something, the selection of black peppercorns is way down from what I remember on his site. Hopefully this is just temporary as I loved the sampler packs with a wide variety.

I also like (for whatever bloody reason) trying to see what someone else is doing/selling if for nothing else to try something other than the 'elphant in the room' brand ...
I am a big fan of Penzey's but wanted to try a few peppers from different regions and their prices were competitive, and sometimes less.

Sorry 'spoiled' but, your acoustic challenges asides, the Magnum has been my go to for some time ... I will give you that the Peugot's are quite pretty ....

TjA

Bill, Makes sense. Curious what you find.

I was hoping the order would arrive today. I pickup up some Choice NY strips at Costco that I swear should of been labeled Prime ( plus some pork belly, rack of lamb,, and BB Ribs - that place is as dangerous as the BST forum:D) and wanted to do a pepper steak with the green peppercorns. Hopefully they will show up tomorrow. And yes Dennis, this time I will put them in the freezer for a few minutes once they come out of the water bath, that was an excellent tip!!

Bill, if the peppercorns don't make it, I have an unopened 6 oz bag of green peppercorns from PP (Brazilian, freeze-dried). You are more than welcome to come by and take whatever you need. I also have a half-dozen other types of peppercorns if you want to try a couple different variations for comparison. We did this a year or two ago with some strips, and it was tasty and informative.

Is pepper passion on the slow side? I ordered a couple 4oz bags 8 days ago and my order still only shows as confirmed. I emailed them earlier today and haven't heard back yet but they're 3 hours behind me.

I just called, spoke to someone who was very polite. He took my name, phone, and order #. He said someone would call me back within 24 hours with an order update. These had better be some kick a$$ peppercorns. :dazed:

I just called, spoke to someone who was very polite. He took my name, phone, and order #. He said someone would call me back within 24 hours with an order update. These had better be some kick a$$ peppercorns. :dazed:

Owner used to post here a few years ago. I am sure it'll be sorted out but I would def liked to have seen a better experience

Over 24 hours have passed, no call or email still and order still just says "Confirmed." I called again, lady on the phone sent another message to say I'm concerned about my order and that no one has gotten back to me. I guess customer service is farmed out to some call center who sends a message to the actual pepper people? You having any luck, Bill?

seriously doubt there is a call center -- it's a frickin' small business. as in probably just the owner and maybe one or two others.

seriously doubt there is a call center -- it's a frickin' small business. as in probably just the owner and maybe one or two others.

That's what I was thinking and maybe they've gotten inundated with a bunch of orders. A little bit of patience might be a good thing.

Every time I've called I got different person who typed a message and said they would send it over. Very similar script when taking to them. It's not someone walking by and picking up the phone. It sounds like a service to deal with phone calls.

Anyhow, sent owner a pm and got an email saying they're busy with holidays Order will ship next week and he offered to throw in another bag. Very cool. I'm patient, just need a little communication, is all.

Hmm, Pepper Passion looks like a good source. Keep us posted on how long it takes.

I moved to Cambodia a few months ago. Here they have Kampot pepper--Cambodia's first Protected Geographical Indication product. My wife and I visited a pepper farm in that area, and of course bought a ridiculous amount of pepper. Our plan is to make some smaller vacuum packs for gifts. It's a very nice pepper.

Back