Petty identification help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5370H55V

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just started getting into Japanese knives and recently bought a unknown petty (mislabeled as a chinese knife due to the kanji) off ebay.
I tried doing some research but using a kanji dictionary and the useful threads in the Knife Knowledge section here didn't give me any results.
Can anyone tell me more about this knife? Here's what I know so far:
- Blade length is ~152 mm
- Blade is thin and flexible, with a thickness of 1.8mm near the handle and tapering down to ~0.8mm near the tip
- The blade material seems to be a carbon steel of some kind, I soaked the tip in pickle juice for a minute and it produced a slight discoloration
- The finish is very rough, with grind marks and pockmarks still visible. Some lettering seems to have been ground off on the left side (any idea what it says?)
- The wooden handle is big and blocky, with a thick brown varnish sealing the handles and the spine of the blade

My guess so far is that someone found an old knife somewhere and restored it badly, or it was a cheap knife that the maker just did not put much effort into.
So what do you guys think? Is it worth trying out or did I buy a dud? Any info on the kanji or steel, or pointers on what to look for to determine its quality or origins would be welcome.

its much more a function of thickness than hardness... hardness will have more to do with how brittle the knife is (i.e. it may crack during the bending).

The harder the steel, (as carbon often are) the more it resists bending and therefor most likely a stainless knife, i guess osakajoe was trying to say?

looking at the last picture it look's very tapered both ways and any knife with those measurements would flex some in my opinion. Stainless or not?

Back