Pizza oven.....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcelNL

deleted the professional part....so blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on the lookout for an end game Pizza oven. after 30 odd years of making pizza I think I'm good enough at it to get a decent oven, I initially wanted wood fired but with 24-48 hours of proofing/resting firing a wood oven for half a day until it's at 500 'C or so is a bit much so I'll settle for gas.

came across this one, plan A was an ooni, yet after reading those have a thin bottom (fat bottomed girls are more fun after all) and reading that oven drops like 150C in temp easily I ditched that plan....and found this beauty, thoughts ayone?

Last edited:
I have a gas powered ooni but I haven’t tried some of these others so I won’t tell you it’s the way to go.

What I have done with mine to help mitigate the issues highlighted is purchase some after market parts - a thick steel to swap out the stone and a door that easily attaches and keeps the heat in. After doing that I had a new issue, the oven was too hot for the pizza. All of this stuff is easily available on Etsy and is made specifically for the model of interest.

Thanks guys, I really don't want to mess with a door in a 90 second bake while turning a pizza around 4-5 times. I like the one I linked because of the power, and th efact it comes with a thicker Biscotto stone.

(making Neapolitan style pizza)

Last edited:
How about a Effeuno P134HA 509? Then you don't have to go outside and it's good for bread as well...

How about a Effeuno P134HA 509? Then you don't have to go outside and it's good for bread as well...
yeah I was looking at that one too, somehow the attraction of raw gas power is playing into the mix...
We'll be getting a porch in a few weeks, which I plan to use a.o. for pizza making and Wok purposes
(have to say that the plasma filter on the recirculation hood copes quite well with stir frying)

I have the Effeuno P134H with a Saputo Biscotto and love it but for gas the Ardore you linked and the 2 pizza Emozione with a Saputo Biscotto are highly praised in the community. If you order from pizzapartyshop.com use the 10% coupon: PIZZAJARI (courtesy of IG @pizzainfinland) and the Ardore comes down to € 750.80 shipped to NL

well that caused some serious decision making trouble ;-) Main reason to go with gas is that gas is sexier than a cord, and the gas version will sit outside and the electric version would likely eat up worktop space..

Ardore it is :) (locally 679 euro with Biscotto)

Wow great price! The comfort of electric is convenience in the winter, faster heat-up times (at least 40 minutes) less heat loss due to low outside temps and unlimited supply of energy ;) Results are similar.

I always have two propane tanks, one for stir Frying and a larger one for roasting coffee...just need to finally put the fast connectors I have lying around on one the one with the correct pressure regulator...I bet it's a 5KPa which is on the large tank (rather than 3KPa).

Thanks guys, I really don't want to mess with a door in a 90 second bake while turning a pizza around 4-5 times. I like the one I linked because of the power, and th efact it comes with a thicker Biscotto stone.

(making Neapolitan style pizza)
Sounds good. Just to clarify, the door is really only used to cut the pre heating down significantly (like in half).

I have an Ooni Koda 16 and honestly love it.

I do have to turn it on 20 minutes before I put the first pizza and usually aim for a temperature of 430 C°(I have reached 500+ C° experimenting)

Its just as it came from the factory, but probably a door would help it get hot faster. I measure the temperature many times during a pizza sesion and always on the same spot in the stone, and I can say that is shows little variations between measures.

I honestly dont mind since I use that time to prep everything around the oven

Cheers

Andres

Don't get me wrong, the Ooni was my plan A, then I ventured into the pastures of pizzamaking.com once more and started to wonder if there is something better....I'm a strong believer of buy once cry once ;-)

It's most of all the type and thickness of the floor that made me turn away from an Ooni, simply based on the experiments I did with my Ferrari (3G)

Thanks for the info there, I honestly did not have many more options locally but I can say that I am a happy Pizzaiolo Wannabe

Now, if I can upgrade my ooni that would be even cooler.

Any chance you could guide me with a link or something in order to understand want needs to be improved?

Cheers

Don't get me wrong, the Ooni was my plan A, then I ventured into the pastures of pizzamaking.com once more and started to wonder if there is something better....I'm a strong believer of buy once cry once ;-)

It's most of all the type and thickness of the floor that made me turn away from an Ooni, simply based on the experiments I did with my Ferrari (3G)
Some of the other options look fantastic. I would love try something else one day

I just assembled the thing...that stone is a far cry different from what I used...this is proper stoneware whereas I have been using artificial insulation stoneware....looking frward to the first attempt, tomorrow!

I also have an ooni koda 16 and love it. I am a big fan of the gas option because I can preheat then launch a pizza. I immediately turn the gas way way down, almost off. This way I get a crispy bottom and properly cooked top. Before I learned this trick, my pizzas tasted more like pita bread. I almost returned the ooni. This makes a huge difference. If you have a bigger oven, you can move the pie around.

I cannot wait to use the damn thing!

three balls of pizza dough and my last leftover pizza sauce taken from the fridge....will fire the beast up tomorrow...

I guess I should clean the biscotto a bit before throwing a Pizza on it, my hands were red from all the dust

This looks very interesting.

It would be a royal pain in the A$$ to get it to Chile.... I think maybe in my next trip to the US

Thanks!
shipping anywhere from the US is a PAIN in the A$$ indeed...shipping from the US is like twice as expensive as shipping to the US..weird but true

Also have the ooni koda and haven’t had any temp problems. If anything I burned the crust on the bottom at the start because my dough was too thick (before I learned how to stretch correctly). The only issue I could foresee would be if you were trying to make a large batch without waiting for the stone to come back up to temp. Max I’ve done is 10 pizzas and I was stretching and dressing them in between so 5 mins between each one…

Also have the ooni koda and haven’t had any temp problems. If anything I burned the crust on the bottom at the start because my dough was too thick (before I learned how to stretch correctly). The only issue I could foresee would be if you were trying to make a large batch without waiting for the stone to come back up to temp. Max I’ve done is 10 pizzas and I was stretching and dressing them in between so 5 mins between each one…
Just don't get me wrong, this is not against the Ooni...I'm using a modded 3G Ferrari electric pizza oven that barely reaches 350'C ....still, making a nice napolian style pizza is doable, it;s just that it takes quite an effort and repeatability/consistency is low.

I have a gas powered ooni but I haven’t tried some of these others so I won’t tell you it’s the way to go.

What I have done with mine to help mitigate the issues highlighted is purchase some after market parts - a thick steel to swap out the stone and a door that easily attaches and keeps the heat in. After doing that I had a new issue, the oven was too hot for the pizza. All of this stuff is easily available on Etsy and is made specifically for the model of interest.

@Bico Doce when you tell us that its too hot for pizza, is it still usable?

Would you be kind enough to elaborate?

thanks

@Bico Doce when you tell us that its too hot for pizza, is it still usable?

Would you be kind enough to elaborate?

thanks
For sure, if heated on high temp for too long it will carbonize the bottom of your pizza crust. Without the door and steel I was cranking my Ooni on max to get it up to temp, no longer necessary with these upgrades. Just be prepared to find the right time and temp for pre heat thru trial and error

IMO the issue with a thick steel slab underneath a pizza is that it heats u too high and burns the pizza bottom.

On the other side, using an insulating stone (like the 5cm thick one I cut to size for the 3G ferrari oven) underneath makes the pizza bottom stay undercooked....

Biscotto is supposed to be the right stuff to ensure a well cooked not burned pizza..I'll report back...

BTW, cutting the 5cm thick stone to size was PITA ....took us 4-5 hours and plenty of diamons loaded discs using a large angle grinder to cut two 30cm diameter stones

Very interested in this thread, as I'm looking for a new pizza oven myself. At my old house, I had a built in Chicago Brick Oven. It was wonderful for Neopolitan style, and fire roasted meats and veggies, but no question the 5 plus hours to get up to temp and heat in the bricks etc. meant it was kind of a weekend party trick...no where near used as much as I intended.

I don't want to derail the thread from the OPs's questions, but anyone have experience with so called hybrid ovens. Is it primarily one fuel or the other, or goes the gas help to get heat sink in the refractory faster, then you add wood for the flavor?

IMO the issue with a thick steel slab underneath a pizza is that it heats u too high and burns the pizza bottom.

On the other side, using an insulating stone (like the 5cm thick one I cut to size for the 3G ferrari oven) underneath makes the pizza bottom stay undercooked....

Biscotto is supposed to be the right stuff to ensure a well cooked not burned pizza..I'll report back...
So apparently you can buy a Biscotto stone for the Ooni Koda 16... I couldnt resist given what I've now read about the stone material thanks to this thread lol

Back