please help me with identifying this knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantality

Reaction score
JcOuSVy.jpg

evVWrgY.jpg

S0cdQUC.jpg

qLWp31W.jpg

Someone removed the bolster with a pair of bolt-cutters and then sharpened it on cinder-block...

looks like a henkels professional s
how long is the blade and what is the handle material?

Looks a little more Henckels than Wustie to me. More abrupt drop-off of bolster, very slight rise at top of bolster. Could just as easily be one of the innumerable knock offs. In either case it would require more time/money than it's worth to make it a knife again.

Friends don't let friends grind drunk.

Lol! Is this knife in that bad of a condition? It's one of my co workers knife. He let me use it yesterday and I thought it felt nice in the hand. Specifically, what is wrong with knife so much that this room is filled with so much laughter?

I don't have any information on the knife. The owner didn't know the name nor the length. I tried to measure it with a ruler but could not find one at work. i would guess it is a 270. One thing I noticed is that the knife was very heavy.

I am looking for a sujihiki-like gyuto like this knife. Long blade length with short height. Which gyutos would match this description? Do you guys prefer such knives? .

People are laughing because the regrind looks a bit savage and the secondary bevel (the cutting edge) looks a bit wayward. See this thread for a slightly classier job (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/19145-First-project-Sabatier-Refurb). Some people do seem to like such knives very much. If you google "gyutohiki" you'll see a whole range of them. This one, for instance, is very nice, if a little more expensive than the reground Henckels (http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/shop.html).

Lol! Is this knife in that bad of a condition? It's one of my co workers knife. He let me use it yesterday and I thought it felt nice in the hand. Specifically, what is wrong with knife so much that this room is filled with so much laughter?

I am looking for a sujihiki-like gyuto like this knife. Long blade length with short height. Which gyutos would match this description? Do you guys prefer such knives? .

Excuse the laughter--looks like a well worn/used work knife...as to what people like, everyone has their own tastes...I like a blade that's a bit taller at the heel that has a long flat spot and not so much belly...like the knife beside the cleaver in this shot (the knife beside that is a French Sabatier):

PC100050_zps20873612.jpg

Check out this Masamoto KS at Korin...I'm not sure if they are in stock but it is a nice J-knife with a rather slender and pointy tip though maybe a bit more French where the belly is while yours appears to definitely have a German gut:)

edit to say that it is out of stock, but if it looks interesting maybe we can come up with some other options

It's a winco Forged chef knife. I bought a 270mm a while ago, and I reprofiled it too. :p Wanted to try a different style of blade shape, and for 16$, an angle grinder, and sometime on a stone, and out came a new knife. Will post pictures soon..

Just looks like a knife that served as a everyday work tool by someone that rides his blades hard and puts them up wet. Lots of knives out there in the hands of professional users that are lot less sentimental about them than we are. His sharpening skills could certain use improvement but it is obvious he sharpened it many, many times over fairly short life time. That is usually not the case with the average home user.

It looks like a great refurb project.

Remove the rest of the tang or just thin it so it tapers until it becomes level with the blade surface. Then a good polish, bevel correction and sharpening and you are good to go. I would probably cut the tip part to make it look like a Kiritsuke Gyuto but I am a sucker for K tips...:biggrin:

Back