Preformence difference between sujihiki/yangiba grinds compared to gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tethien

Reaction score
I’m looking for one of these but I can’t tell if the grinds on these matter as much as a gyuto since you aren’t really cutting hard things like fruits and veggies but more soft things like meat. I might have a complete misunderstanding but all that seems to matter is edge sharpness, friction and thickness from the blade.

Assuming the maker is the same. Then the difference between Sujihiki and gyuto is just the profile.
Then the difference between Sujihiki and Yanagiba is just the grind.

So pick the profile and the grinds that suits your cutting style/tasks.
There’s lots more things to consider in terms of performance, different maker/steel/heat treatment etc.

Yanagi is for slicing raw fish. Extremely assymetric grind causes a lot of steering if you aren't used to it.

Suji is for slicing meat. Also OK at slicing Fish.

Gyuto OK for slicing meat but has more drag in the cut than a suji.

I’m talking more about the preformence difference between low and high end suji/yangi. It’s almost a little obvious how a gyuto would act with the grind on a choil shot, thick/thin, convex,concave,flat but I have no idea how much impact that has on a suji when slicing fish or meats for example. Sorry if I worded the quest wrongly, I really couldn’t think of a better way to do that

I am a huge yanagi fan - I have only 3 suji's but about a dozen yanagis.

Perhaps because of the way I cut (?), I don't find much steering (if any) with yanagis and I prefer their performance - very thin yet not much sticking due to the grind.

I use my yanagis not just on fish - beef brisket, pork loins.... you name it. In fact I haven't reached for my sujis for months...

The only thing to note about yanagis though - they are more prone to warping due to the ni mai structure. So better wash them with warm water... but IME even if you do this they still warp with time... but I find it pretty easy to just bend them back :cool:

Back