Pretty Santoku for the wife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes. You read it correctly. Pretty. This was seen and she was like yes I love that even if it is carbon, but it is too expensive(and out of stock). She has been watching my knife obsession grow and when she saw a "pretty" santoku she decided that was what she wanted. Gyutos are apparently too pointy for her. So a "pretty" santoku is what I'm looking for!

I would fill out the form but basically her happiness will arise from it looking pretty and being a good knife, most other details are flexible. Of course I would love if it wasnt too expensive. Not longer than 180mm. Jon had a "cute" knife (well I believe more accurately the sakai booth had a "cute" knife, I don't believe any of it was his own stock) at the food expo in late august in LA and that makes me think there must be more nice knives with pretty etchings.

I'm hoping in pleasing the misses I can get approval for a few more purchases of my own... Any help would be appreciated!

Misono has a santoku with flower engraving. Carbon steel. JCK has them for $110 in the 180mm size.

Theres no 180, he makes a 170 in vg10 the 180 is a small gyuto, you could buy the 165, a $30 poplar saya and do some art work, if you have kids that would be an amazing christmas gift. Other options are cheaper damascus blades from jck or kns(james makes sayas and has done floral designs.

Mcusta Zanmai Ripple Damascus santoku. Very pretty blade and handle, and nice octagonal handle.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/mcusta-zanmai-ripple-damascus/santoku-knife-p131805

This looks a little different to the hammered VG10 Mcusta I saw at Chef's Armoury. http://www.chefsarmoury.com/collections/mcusta-zanmai-hammer/products/mcusta-zanmai-hammer-180mm-santoku I was struck by its good looks and the twisted octagonal handle. A pretty knife to be sure. The price is in AUD$ and about the same as the rippled one but there's shipping to consider (AUD$35).

Thanks everyone! Some good looking knives. @DanHumphrey I showed the lady them all and she really likes the takamura. She actually asked if there was a package to get the matching petty lol.

Godslayer great idea about a home painted saya! Actually there is a package from chino that includes sayas if you buy two takamura. Dangerous...

Theres no 180, he makes a 170 in vg10 the 180 is a small gyuto, you could buy the 165, a $30 poplar saya and do some art work, if you have kids that would be an amazing christmas gift. Other options are cheaper damascus blades from jck or kns(james makes sayas and has done floral designs.

Actually... there is a 180mm santoku but AFAIK, it's only available in a package together with a 150mm petty for $280 shipped. Should make the OP's wife very happy. http://www.chuboknives.com/products/takamura-r2-two-piece-set-with-santoku#.WARmcySkzhE

I'm skeptical this one on the set is longer or any different than a standalone one.

I'm skeptical this one on the set is longer or any different than a standalone one.

Always pays to be sceptical. :eyebrow:
However, the Chubo website gives two different measurements for the Takamura santokus: the standalone is given as 170 mm (6.7") while the one paired with the petty is given as 180mm (7.1"). Could be a typo but both metric and imperial units are quoted as being different. Personally, if it's a deal breaker, I would email for confirmation before purchase.

dklyve, good call showing the your lady the options. Gets you in the clear. :cool2:

The Takamura R2 is a really hard knife to beat when buying one for the ladies. It just has everything a girl could want in a knife, pretty, light, thin, flawless f&f, small western handle, nicely polished blade, plus being one of the cutters around. So you'll probably love it too.

My wife loves hers (as do I), but she still has some getting used to the 210 size I got for her. Usually women seem to feel like 160-180 mm knives are the most comfortable to use.

Last edited:
Haha yea JaVa I made sure to show her and was honestly a little surprised by her pick but in no way complaining, especially after reading your endorsement. It all is sounding like a win so far.

Interesting about the different measurements with the package though. 180 would be nice but 170 wouldn't be a deal breaker. But then I saw this when looking at Richards's suggestion https://www.mtckitchen.com/takamura-hsps-santoku-knife-165mm/
Labeled as hsps but same red handle and r2 in description. I can't imagine them making a 165 170 & 180. I'll have to shoot some emails and investigate.

Richard that Hana looks nice, but I might have to avoid showing that to the lady, mostly due to the almost $200 price difference :bigeek:

Scepticism wins! Looks like you were right after all Richard. Chubo corrected their website listing. Both santokus are now listed as 170mm (6.7").

After emailing chubo they confirmed the typo and changed it. However there is takamura on MTC kitchen listed as 165 but looks like the same knife. I guess with the variance from knife to knife you can expect some listing differences?

Back