Purple hart help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Danny

Sorry about that pineapple pizza thing
Reaction score
Hi y’all

I need a bit of help. Recently acquired some purple hart for handles, but a fellow woodworker friend of mine, told me that the wood discolour over a short period of time, after you start working with it.

Any way I can preserve the colour? Any way that keeps a nice mat natural look suitable for handles?

Thanks for reading.

Daniel

Attachments

• IMG_9132.jpeg
    IMG_9132.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
Hi y’all

I need a bit of help. Recently acquired some purple hart for handles, but a fellow woodworker friend of mine, told me that the wood discolour over a short period of time, after you start working with it.

Any way I can preserve the colour? Any way that keeps a nice mat natural look suitable for handles?

Thanks for reading.

Daniel
Purple heart is brown when you cut it, and will purple with UV and oxygen exposure. I’ve been told the purple can fade as well.
603C5A86-877A-4F1B-B53F-EAB551016B29.jpeg
99DA1292-33C3-45D9-A4A8-CF30F0648BCE.jpeg

I’ve had these 2 blocks for just over a year, one sealed and one raw. They seem to be surviving just fine in terms of holding colour, although the time frame is relatively short. Other pieces I have cut show the same behaviour.

I also have these purple heart magnetic pucks, not made by me. They’re sealed in a much more natural fashion, and also retain strong color after about 3 years.
33A4122A-63AE-40CC-99F1-40919EFE1C1B.jpeg

Thanks. Those magnets looks neat. You think they are stabilised?

Also, it great to see that the colour isn’t gone on the base.

I will say, at least it should indeed last for a couple of years before going brown, the shift isn't usually super quick. I highly recommend a finish like tru-oil for handles as well.

Alrighty. I’ll do some reading and then try the tru-oil as you said.
I’m just experimenting at this stage - it’s not for a paying customer

I just checked a piece of PH that I finished roughly 20 years ago with a piece that I finished last year. Both came from the same batch. The older one still has a nice purple tone.
What actual finishing liquid I used on the old piece I cannot recall. Probably a Formby's(?) product.

But that still looks pretty good. Of course another look than originally, but it still looks great. Thanks. That eased my mind 👍

There is a top coating made by Carbon Method, (no connection other than I have used it), that has uv protection built in. It is also hydrophobic which seems desirable for a knife handle. You might contact them to see if they would recommend it for knife handles. Here is the product.

Cherry darkens fairly quickly. I used this product on a cherry table top I made, and it has not darkened at all even though it would have normally done so.

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

I think the real challenge here, is to make a handle with a coating that helps the colour stay and doesn’t feel too slippery and can withstand great amounts of water.

I turned this over 15 years ago, but I don't remember what finish I put on it originally. Nothing else on it in 15 years. The bottom is yellow hard, which is a pretty cool wood can be made very smooth.
IMG_0673.jpg

CA glue is probably number one for preserving what's underneath it, color included. I think the texture it provides is fine but some dislike it.

Glossy finish? I’m gonna stick with whatever leaves the closest to natural finish.

Back