Question for Arashiyama 6k/ Takenoko 8k users

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey59

Reaction score
What do you use to flatten this stone? I had one of these long ago, and had issues with my flattening plate sticking badly.
I recently bought an Atoma plate which I have not yet used, but am wondering if it's any better on the sticking issue
with this stone. Any strong recommendations for flattening the Takenoko without sticking?

Atoma are better at not sticking but ime all diamond plates will stick. You can mitigate sticking though. One, put the diamond plate in your stone holder and scrub with the stone, not the other way around. This helps, a lot. Two, if you are still having issues then flatten under running water. If those don't work, idk what else to suggest.

Atoma are better at not sticking but ime all diamond plates will stick. You can mitigate sticking though. One, put the diamond plate in your stone holder and scrub with the stone, not the other way around. This helps, a lot. Two, if you are still having issues then flatten under running water. If those don't work, idk what else to suggest.

+1 I’ve been doing this for years. It’s the only way I use atoma actually.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll try flattening under running water.

I just always rubbed it with a lower grit stone under a running tap. No issues so far.

No real issues with arashiyama normally but I use that new button nanohone lapping plate for most of my lapping these days and the difference is most noticeable on stones that normally have issues with clogging. Any plate with sufficient voids to prevent stiction should work though.

Back