Question on sujis for leftys

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangelwurzel

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have another lefty-based question on asymmetry (a had a similar question on lasers a little while ago).

I'm thinking of adding a suji/slicer to my kit. I'd mainly want it for slicing meats and roasts. I was initially looking at the JCK Carbonext suji which works out great value for me (being in the UK). I was almost ready to pull the trigger when I saw on the JCK website that lefty versions are specifically not available for Carbonext sujis (and honesukis). This rang alarm bells as the primary bevel is only 60/40 and I'd be fine to adjust this myself so I thought there must be an issue with the grind.

I emailed Koki and he confirmed: "The blade grind angle of CarboNext Sujihiki knife is also more suitable for right hand users. (with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade."

I also read a review on another forum (Chowhound I think) where a lefty user said that the Carbonext suji was one knife he was unable to use because its grind is so asymmetrical (righty biased).

My question is: do other left-handers also find the Carbonext suji unusable?

I noticed on JCK that left handed versions (i.e. asymmetrical grind and edge with lefty bias) of the Misono Swedish carbon are available at a 15% premium. They look like a good option too. At the top end of my budget would be the Kochi kurouchi suji from JKI. This one looks amazing, really thin behind the edge and would probably be my preference if the grind is right. From the photos (looking at the 270mm one), the grind looks fairly symmetrical (almost lefty bias). Anybody have any experience of them?

Im also a lefty, and im also on the prowl for a suji. Both the kochi and zakuri yanagiba/sujis look nice. Im interested in user experiences as well....

As you mentioned a completely flat grind on the one side is rather annoying in use for a lefty. I try to find knives that have some convexing on both sides. Asymmetry isn't such an issue for me, as us lefties are used to adapting our techniques. I will often ask the seller to send me a choil pic.

Masahiro has left versions of their Virgin Carbon series with the entire geometry being inverted. Right face flat, left face with kanji convexed. Premium about 25%. JCK doesn't list them but may deliver. Ask Mr Koki Iwahara.

Has anybody used the Kochi suji in V2? What's the grind like? I gather the gyuto grind is lefty friendly.

I think I'm torn between the Misono Swedish and the kochi.

Back