Recommend Gyuto for a Vegetarian Push Cutter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said it before but I'lll repeat it until the end of time: why on earth would you fillet a salmon. You're cutting off the best part. It's like trimming the crispy bits off roast potatoes, or cutting the brown crust off your steak. Heresy!
Agreed. Typically I’m frustrated because I can’t find salmon with skin on.

The funny part is that the knife hardly matters for farmed salmon, though you’d never use a nakiri. Their bones won’t chip anything. The hardest part about fileting a 15ish pound salmon is the weird feel of floppy fatty fish.

And you don’t have to scale ‘‘em if you learn sukibiki and then you can rationalize another not quite necessary knife purchase (gyuto would be fine for this).
I don't know what susukibik is, but I never scale fish, I skin them. Why would you scale a fish if you are going to skin it? It would be a waste of time.

Last edited:
I don't know what susukibik is
Sukibiki is when you cut the scales off the fish but leave the skin behind. It leaves behind a nice white skin which fits well with sushi presentation, and it's also much less aggressive than scaling with a scaler. Personally, I always leave skin on because it helps keep the flesh together and there is a lot of fat and flavor just under the skin that is lost during skinning. That's unless I'm dealing with tuna, which has really thick and hard skin. In that case I actually like to cut the skin into small squares and deep fry to make chicharones, makes a really great drinking snack. I seriously recommend everyone try it

Back on topic.

I used the Toyama a bit more and it's a lot of fun I must say. Haven't had a D handle before; this feels fantastic. Is it just due to size?

Can this handle be oiled? It feels resistant to moisture. I'd prefer a dark handle; any recommendations for a replacement that is equally light?

Back on topic.

I used the Toyama a bit more and it's a lot of fun I must say. Haven't had a D handle before; this feels fantastic. Is it just due to size?

Can this handle be oiled? It feels resistant to moisture. I'd prefer a dark handle; any recommendations for a replacement that is equally light?

You can for sure oil it. Darker handles that are equally light would be burnt wood of some sort. I swapped mine for a burnt chestnut.

Back