Recommend Gyuto for a Vegetarian Push Cutter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konsuke

Reaction score
Hi!

I'd like to get some recommendation for my second (selling the first, bad match) Gyuto or K-tip Gyuto while waiting for a TF Nakiri 195 that I have on 3 months back order :( I want something that is good at veggies but that I can also use for big cuts, like a big squash... or sometimes skinning a salmon, but also to have fun and variety.

Location EU
Budget max 500 Euro, but prefer less

Knife Type Gyuto or K-tip Gyuto / "Kiritsuke"
Handle WA
Blade Length 240-270
Edge Length 255 if possible
Blade Profile Large flat spot (Vegetarian, push cut), slow taper, thin tip
Blade Height Around 60mm preferred
Steel Type Powdered SG2 preferred, or cladded with patina only on the edge

Use case Home, vegetables (big and small)
Features Not too fragile, low wedging but not highest priority
Comfort Japanese style forward balance, 200-230g
Style Push cut

Cutting Board Asahi Pro
Sharpen Yourself Yes, want to learn
Thin Yourself Propbably not
Stones 300/800/3000/6000

Already considered but dismissed:
  • Nigara SG2 Damascus Kiritsuke: nice profile, but I don't like the look of the gun metal damascus
  • Nigara SG2 Kurouchi Kiritsuke: same nice profile, but again I don't like the looks of them, it feels too "forced", although very good f&f
  • Takeda: Nice but out of stock and probably too fragile.
  • It general, I'm picky, it should look good but not like from a production line
Maybe it's not possible.

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe a Sukenari 270 (they run short, so would be more of a 260), but it won't reach your height preference. The height is quite challenging. Maybe also worth considering non-Japanese makers... there's plenty of tall-knife-afficionados here so someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

That’s quite a “jack of all trades, master of none” knife you’re looking for. I would say Toyama/watanabe stainless clad since you suggested ss clad is okay. Might be very close to your budget. Not dainty by any means, but thin enough to not wedge most of the time. Size should fit your preference either 240-270. Weight fits too. I use it for veg mostly. Never skinned a fish though hah.

That’s quite a “jack of all trades, master of none” knife you’re looking for. I would say Toyama/watanabe stainless clad since you suggested ss clad is okay. Might be very close to your budget. Not dainty by any means, but thin enough to not wedge most of the time. Size should fit your preference either 240-270. Weight fits too. I use it for veg mostly. Never skinned a fish though hah.
Can't believe I forgot those, Yoshikane, Watanabe/Toyama or Wakui are probably some of the best out there.

Thank you! Some good input.

Sukenari 270 ... Beautiful knife but quite expensive. As you said @Jovidah, with 50mm a bit low for me.
Watanabe ... I read and seen picture of poor quality on those, despite being expensive
Toyama ... Nice profiles, looks to promising at 55m. Maybe a bit to far away from my preferred 60mm. Also quite expensive, hmm
Ryusen ... From what I've seen, they have very low profile knives. That japan link you sent is also a bit too exotic for me :D neither has it a WA handle

Meanwhile I found the Matsubara Blue 2 Tsuchime Gyuto 240mm. Looks to have quite a good profile and is spec wise matching. Reading about inconsistent grinds though and not sure if that Tsuchime finish is bad news for my knuckles (still learning technique).

Hmmm... I'll throw in the Yu Kurosaki Senko-Ei 240 gyuto. Mine is actually 255mm and quite tall:

182960-4H2A6509.jpg

4H2A6506.jpg

It's an attractive knife if you like the aesthetic. Steel, geometry and fnf are very good, but it looks less hand-made than other knives here. It has a long flat spot, but is on the delicate side of things and is ground very thin in the lower part. Still has enough wideness to be stiff and give some food release.

Maybe it's not possible.
There is so many knives out there, and certainly more than a few that will hit your sweet spot.

Part of the problem is that sometimes we don't know what exactly we want until we have it in hand and suddenly it clicks. That doesn't help you much lol - but it's supposed to drive one point home: If you want the best possible knife for you, you might want to try out a lot of knives. That means buying and selling quite a few.

Last edited:
Thank you! Some good input.

Sukenari 270 ... Beautiful knife but quite expensive. As you said @Jovidah, with 50mm a bit low for me.
Watanabe ... I read and seen picture of poor quality on those, despite being expensive
Toyama ... Nice profiles, looks to promising at 55m. Maybe a bit to far away from my preferred 60mm. Also quite expensive, hmm
Ryusen ... From what I've seen, they have very low profile knives. That japan link you sent is also a bit too exotic for me :D neither has it a WA handle

Meanwhile I found the Matsubara Blue 2 Tsuchime Gyuto 240mm. Looks to have quite a good profile and is spec wise matching. Reading about inconsistent grinds though and not sure if that Tsuchime finish is bad news for my knuckles (still learning technique).

With all due respect, if you're concerned about Watanabe quality you may want to read more about TF. Watanabe/Toyama are known for very good quality. I have two variations an no complaints about either.

With all due respect, if you're concerned about Watanabe quality you may want to read more about TF. Watanabe/Toyama are known for very good quality. I have two variations an no complaints about either.
Agreed. I love my TFs but they required some work before I finally polished and put real edges on them. My Toyama is still untouched and it gets used as is.

No offence taken @HumbleHomeCook , I might have misinterpreted some posts about Watanabe Nakiri when researching. I probably skimmed it too much because I was not taken by the esthetics.

Yu Kurosaki Senko-Ei 240 ... thanks @miggus, but something about the profile I don't like. It reminds me of high heels.

This is 60mm but with VAT perhaps too much
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/toyama-noborikoi-kasumi-stainless-clad-gyuto-270mm/A tall 270 is a lot of metal.
Thanks @Dan- . Yeah a bit pricey. Especially considering that - to me at least, I'm picky - it is a totally plain looking knife, including the handle, which I'd have to switch. I must be missing something, that justifies that price? It doesn't even mention, which blue steel is used. The specs are spot on - though for me it's probably a tad too big.

That's it for me for today, will be back tomorrow. Thank you!

Shiro Kamo makes really nice, tall R2/SG2 knives. Thin BTE middleweights that push cut well. The 270s can get close to 60 mm tall, at least 55 mm.

The Damascus pattern on some of them can cause friction at first that slows the knife down, but it wears off over time or you can use some fine sandpaper or mud from a stone to smooth the surface.

Maybe try messaging Knives and Stones to ask for specific specs and heel height.

https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...nagashi-r2-damascus-gyuto-270mm-by-shiro-kamo
https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...urokumo-r2-damascus-gyuto-270mm-by-shiro-kamo

….. mazaki!!!!!

But seriously. That flat spot is to die for. Or to hate.

Taper is there, height maybe not all the way up to 60, but profile matches the need I think.

Only big drawback I see is the fat ones might not like squash so much. You’d probably be looking at a 270 (although they run pretty true), and the last KU ones I saw were beefy. Most of his stuff iron clad as well. And not nice blue-patina iron.

+1 for Yoshikane, Toyama, and double for Shiro Kamo. I read the title and immediately thought Yoshi although they tend to be narrower and not as tall. Kamo is both though. Also yes for Masashi, and what about Takeda? Those are tall… Can you get a Birgersson in your price range?

Problem is a lot of the tall ones are also thin, like S Tanaka.

Mazaki might do reasonably well in profile / weight preferences, but like you said it lacks the height and is just about the polar opposite in his steel / reactivity preferences.

The Sukenaris can actually be had well within budget, but they are indeed far too low when it comes to blade height. That's really the preference that severely thins the pack.
I think whoever is suggestion Yoshikane must have missed the '60mm heel height' preference. :p

Kamo is actually a pretty decent suggestion. While not reaching 66mm they are taller than most. For example:
Shiro Kamo 240 SG2 at cleancut

Shiro Kamo R2, Matsubara Ginsan, and Takeda NAS are the ones that come to mind if you're looking for tall. You might also consider a chinese style cleaver!

If you must have a gyuto with those specs, I'd also recommend reaching out to @MSicardCutlery to make you a custom out of AEB-L or Magnacut.
Hahaha,. I love a good coincidence. I'm mostly finished an order I received a couple weeks back for a 230x60, extra flat k-tip in Magnacut. It's like a giant bunka.

Maybe it's not possible.
It's most definitely possible :)

Isamitsu seems willing to do custom direct orders. Stainless clad AS would be expensive but stainless clad white 1 is cheaper and within budget.

Watanabe claims to do custom work but I have seen no evidence of it in my inquiries with him. Aesthetics are also not his thing.

Shiro Kamo makes really nice, tall R2/SG2 knives. Thin BTE middleweights that push cut well. The 270s can get close to 60 mm tall, at least 55 mm.

The Damascus pattern on some of them can cause friction at first that slows the knife down, but it wears off over time or you can use some fine sandpaper or mud from a stone to smooth the surface.

Maybe try messaging Knives and Stones to ask for specific specs and heel height.

https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...nagashi-r2-damascus-gyuto-270mm-by-shiro-kamo
https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...urokumo-r2-damascus-gyuto-270mm-by-shiro-kamo
Yeah, my 270mm Shiro Kamo Syousin Suminagashi Gyuto is around 60mm.

Profile is moderately curved, though. Not sure if there is a K-tip or whether it is flatter.

Great knife nonetheless.

Back