Recommendation for my first serious kitchen knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good choice. Tanaka ginsan is a great knife and very essays to sharpen. Can form a burr w shapton 1 k very quickly. Deburring is also easy.

I just saw the home butcher has some 210 Tanaka ginsan with custom handles

Yeah I get that too, but then again IMO two completely different knives. The Metalmaster Tanaka is old stock from several years back and probably won't be available again. As the rest of Tanaka ginsan knives are going to K&S exclusively so it'll be the only place to get them anyway.
More importantly the new version is a bit lighter, thinner, also thinner behind the edge. It has a nice S-grind and the grind goes higher. Lovely cutter right OOTB. Also Metalmaster handles are as rough and cheap as they come compared to K&S handles that are as good as it gets. Even the lite version is really nice.
Also since those days there's been a couple significant price hikes across the board that counts for part of the difference too.
IMO absolutely worth the price. I still consider it great value for money and considering the wish list, even more so.

There’s a Konosuke Ginsan MM on bst that I would highly recommend you take a look at. I have B2 MM and it’s one of my favorite knife.

Yes, that’s the one. I have no handled a Tanaka before so I cannot compare them. Maybe some one who has used both can explain it. But they have the same core steel. I can only say MM Ginsan move through food effortless and does not wedge food.

i dunno, i got tanaka 240 from metalmaster for under 100, i dont like that these sell for 200 now, thats kinda absurd.
Great knife. I bought the MM tanaka 270 version used from panda. He put a lot of work into it and made it into a great cutter with a nice custom handle.

I used my 240 Toyama Stainless clad B#2 tonight for the first time and I am very impressed - that knife is a great cutter. I think I should have purchased more Toyama knives than the tall 150mm petty and the 240mm Gyuto.

Back