Recommendation for my first serious kitchen knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkonst

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the super informative and welcoming forum! I'm looking to pick up a nice knife for home use for myself and my wife. With us being home a lot (a whole lot) these days, I'm trying to upgrade our kitchen experience a bit - control what we can. With that, I'd love any help/guidance you can offer!

USA (NYC)

KNIFE TYPE
Leaning Gyuto, but open to Santoku.

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Somewhere in the 180-220mm range. Both of my current knives are 180mm and we're both comfortable going a bit longer, but I think 240mm might be too much.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Ideally yes given this knife will be shared and I'm not confident I can enforce a "don't leave wet" rule. But open to flexing on this.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$325 (less is preferable, of course)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Chopping, slicing, and mincing vegetables. Very rarely fish and not any meat, and vegetables are usually on the smaller side (onions, garlic, broccoli, etc. as opposed to squash).

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Right now my primary knife I think would be classified as a Sujihiki (I think it's very cheap - got it as a gift a few years back, and it says Ginsu Chikara Series on it), and I also have a Victorinox chef's knife that's extremely dull right now (can't get anything professionally sharpened at the moment). I like using both. Both are 180mm in length.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Hammer grip, though I intend to start using finger point after learning more here

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Rock chop, slice (going to work on improving general knife skills/add to these)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
A bit more heft and a sharper edge

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Something aesthetically interesting sounds great, but I don't have any particular look in mind

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Mid-weight, but otherwise I'm not chopping for hours, so I'm flexible

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Easy maintenance would be preferable, for sure - I have a Chef's Choice Trizor XV15 that is on its way here, since getting my knives professionally sharpened isn't really possible at the moment. I've since discovered that's probably a bit controversial on this forum, so please don't yell at me!

Ideally I'd love to be able to use the CC without damaging the knife (so probably not a single bevel, for example), disrespecting the knife maker, or generally making people here angry at me. But I can also just use that on my older knives and just get the new knife professionally sharpened when that's possible again (or try to learn how to use a whetstone). My parents have the world's dullest knives, so I can always send them the CC if it's not a good idea to use it on the knife I buy.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Sort of depends on the factors above. I'm not sure if sharpening will ever become a hobby of mine, so longer is probably better in general.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Cheap plastic board currently. Looking to get a Hasegawa or something along those lines. Open to ideas for small, dishwashable cutting boards (I also posted a thread in the What's Cooking forum about this).

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
See above - I have the Chef's Choice but also have professional sharpening options available in normal times.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Maybe - I'm open to learning how to sharpen my own knife without using the Chef's Choice, though frankly my apartment is pretty small and my wife will probably toss me out if I buy much more stuff!

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Potentially.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I'm open to buying from anywhere. It seems like some of sites recommended here are running promotions at the moment, though I'm not sure how common that is. Also, I'm open to purchasing from the buy/sell section on this forum, if there's anything available there that you all think makes sense for me. This isn't super time sensitive, but I'm also pretty bored sitting at home and would love something new to work with.

Thank you all!

Not sure this is the sort of answer you're looking for, but I would definitely include a medium-grit and possibly also a coarse-grit sharpening stone within that budget. A Shapton Pro 1000 stone costs $45, and has the advantage of the box being usable as a sharpening-stand; this might be of use given your space constraints. A coarse-grit stone will be useful if your Victorinox and Ginsu are in fact that horribly dull.

I'm not trying to push anyone towards sharpening as a hobby; it's just that if you're finding that sharpening services aren't available, then there's no reason to continue relying on them.

But, for a more diverse array of answers, maybe you should look up for sales from Korin and MTCKitchen since you are from NYC.

Last edited:
To build on what @Qapla' and others have said, the Victorinox is a decent performer when properly sharpened, and buying a new knife only gets you an edge temporarily. Knife edges are consumable and you should plan for maintaining them. If you're up for a new hobby, picking up a Shapton Pro 1k and learning to sharpen the knife you already have will set you up very well for many future years in the kitchen--and for all the future knives too :)

Thank you all for the replies so far! To @Qapla' and @ExistentialHero - you've convinced me, and I'll pick up that Shapton Pro 1K along with a new knife. Recommendations on a starting video/tutorial on technique? I guess I have a new subforum to visit.

Thanks as well for all the knife recommendations - I have some research to do on the knives you've sent my way. If anyone else spots anything you think I should take a look at, please let me know. Definitely interested in MTC and Korin given they are local (though I guess I'm shopping online regardless), but open to any ideas. This one caught my eye after shopping around, as I love the handle color/design, in case this helps give a sense of my aesthetic preference. Open to more elaborate blade designs, too. Pretty similar visually to the knife from @jacko9 (though less interesting on the blade) https://www.korin.com/HTO-WAGY-210

Thank you all for the replies so far! To @Qapla' and @ExistentialHero - you've convinced me, and I'll pick up that Shapton Pro 1K along with a new knife. Recommendations on a starting video/tutorial on technique? I guess I have a new subforum to visit.

Thanks as well for all the knife recommendations - I have some research to do on the knives you've sent my way. If anyone else spots anything you think I should take a look at, please let me know. Definitely interested in MTC and Korin given they are local (though I guess I'm shopping online regardless), but open to any ideas. This one caught my eye after shopping around, as I love the handle color/design, in case this helps give a sense of my aesthetic preference. Open to more elaborate blade designs, too. Pretty similar visually to the knife from @jacko9 (though less interesting on the blade) https://www.korin.com/HTO-WAGY-210
That looks like a great first knife, with saya, and 20% off.

Not a bad recommendation and I believe knivesandstones.com operates at some level (not retail) out of Brooklyn.

im partial to MTC as a retailer in New York because I find them extremely generous with sharpening knowledge.

Thanks! I'm between that knife from K&S and the Togiharu Wa-Gyuto, currently. Would one hold an edge longer and/or be a better knife to learn to sharpen with the Shapton Pro 1K?

Tanaka Ginsan
Togiharu Wa-Gyuto

Open to any recommendations at MTC, as well... perhaps this one? Sakai Takayuki

Just wanted to do one bump on this... if anyone thinks there's a clear winner in this group, please let me know!

Tanaka Ginsan
: "Ginsan core with stainless clad"
Togiharu Wa-Gyuto: 440 High Chromium Stain Resistant Steel
Sakai Takayuki: VG10

If there's a trustworthy and easy to understand steel guide/comparison out there as well, I'd love to see that. And if there's a link/thread with details above certain steel types chipping on a diamond sharpener (@dafox if you might be able to share?), I'm curious to know more about. Going to get the Shapton 1K either way, this is just for my knowledge!

My votes also for tanaka and I use a ceramic honing rod on steels 62+. I would definitely not use the chefs choice on anything on your list.

Japanese natural stones has their Munetoshi 210mm gyuto on sale today. It does have a white steel (carbon) core but is very tough and has a great edge. And because it’s on sale it is a killer deal right now. With the extra money in your budget you could even pick up a decent stone to learn how to sharpen on.
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-gyuto-210mm/

Japanese natural stones has their Munetoshi 210mm gyuto on sale today. It does have a white steel (carbon) core but is very tough and has a great edge. And because it’s on sale it is a killer deal right now. With the extra money in your budget you could even pick up a decent stone to learn how to sharpen on.
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-gyuto-210mm/

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Ideally yes given this knife will be shared and I'm not confident I can enforce a "don't leave wet" rule. But open to flexing on this.

I saw that and made sure to point out it’s carbon. He said there was flex on being stainless so I thought I’d share the good deal as it might be what he would be willing to flex for.

Iron clad carbon.

I appreciate the heads-up on this one, that's a really attractive knife. But after some more discussion with the "coworker" here, it turns out that stainless "flex" on my part is a pretty hard no!

I appreciate the heads-up on this one, that's a really attractive knife. But after some more discussion with the "coworker" here, it turns out that stainless "flex" on my part is a pretty hard no!

The tanaka is a pretty darn stiff knife. if that's what your meaning by "flex"

Thank you all! The Tanaka Ginsan wins - looking forward to getting my hands on it.

The tanaka is a pretty darn stiff knife. if that's what your meaning by "flex"

Ha, I actually meant "flex" as in I was originally flexible as to whether I needed stainless or not (and later realized this "starter knife" does need to be stainless!).

Either way. Tanaka Ginsan "flex's" harder then the other two when your talking about the other type of flex.

Latest posts

Back