Recommendations for thin and flat gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For thin and flat it's hard for my brain to go much beyond Yoshikane.

This is the answer. I have the Yoshi nashiji in SKD and white. Slight preference for the SKD cause I like stainless. I could not tell them apart in use or while sharpening.

Cleancut.se used to sell the Yoshi, don't know if they still do.

I agree with Yoshikane!

This super flat 240mm with a K-tip is in stock in Europe: Yoshikane Hamono | SKD Kiritsuke 240mm with Mono Olive Wood Handle | Modern Cooking

Very thin behind the edge, but thicker spine than a Shibata. I've had a Shibata 240mm K-tip but I vastly prefer the Yoshikane instead as it is a bit heavier and feels more substantial. SKD semi-stainless steel but it feels nice and pretty carbon-ish on the stones. Pretty tall around 55mm.

Cleancut in Sweden has the rounder (but still very flat) and not as tall gyuto profile in stock in Shirogami #2 as well: Gyuto

I still make 30 to 60 rolls a month for the family I’ve used several different knives, some of my favorites Tetsujin, Nakagawa x Myojin both awesome cutters, HADO sujihiki but I still prefer the Yoshikane 240 non “k” tip. My k-tip is at 58mm height wise and not nearly as flat as the standard 240. I love cutting with the carbon knives but the pantena from cutting rolls is not a pretty one, and the SKD cuts just as nice.

This is the answer. I have the Yoshi nashiji in SKD and white. Slight preference for the SKD cause I like stainless. I could not tell them apart in use or while sharpening.

Cleancut.se used to sell the Yoshi, don't know if they still do.

Just to clarify for the OP, SKD is semi-stainless but is usually stainless-clad with Yoshikane - I think that’s what @daveb is referring to when he says stainless. It’s a pretty great combo for a no-fuss knife that sharpens like a high carbon.

Definitely love mine; I sold my Shibata and Yu Kurosaki but kept the Yoshi.

Cutting feeling and feeling on stones
I get the latter point.

Not so much the former.

For sure, high levels of sharpness are difficult to achieve on softer, coarser grained stainless (as is often found in mass market Western knives) but this is definitely not the case with finer grained and harder stainless steels as often found in Japanese knives.

Guys I can order from US. Its not a problem. Thanks for your suggestions

I can endorse the Yoshikane suggestions; my SKD gyuto has the flat Sanjo profile but it's not very thin at the base of the spine (if that would be an issue for you). It sharpens easily; mind you, I don't find R2 (Shibata and Takamura in my case) as difficult to raise a burr on as some people apparently do - and these are certainly thin.

Back