Ryoichi Ikeda???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
Anyone here have a blade from him? I am talking to a wholesaler in Japan and contemplating the purchase. I can't really find any reviews on his work and his honyakis are wicked expensive, significantly more then Togashi,Ikeda Yoshikazu and Shiraki, so if I do get one it would be a san mai blade. Figured I'd ask her, sharpener would most likely be Ino-san as I really like his work.

I know Aframes and James at knives and stones appear to have knives made by him, I know Tatsuo has long since passed.

No experience with Akatsuki from K&S, but the grind from Tosa is a work of art on the Akebono. Aggressively priced given the pedigree and F&F, I haven't seen one on BST either so it should be an easy catch and release even if things don't work out

Last edited:
Let me know if you see any of his work. No one in the western world seems to sell his stuff, unless it's under a brand name and I'm not clueing in. Which is weird as tatsuo and Yoshikazu are basically ultra covoted god tier makers

Last edited by a moderator:
Naw it's fine. Let me know if you see any of his work. No one in the western world seems to sell his stuff, unless it's under a brand name and I'm not clueing in. Which is weird as tatsuo and Yoshikazu are basically ultra covoted god tier makers

I’ll see some later today to be honest, but I don’t order anything from him right now ... also keep in mind that many craftsmen in sakai only work with one company or a small set of companies, so their items might not be as widely available. Additionally, those who work for many companies, don’t like their name to be attached to what they do for other people as it creates conflict between the companies who hire them to make things, and thus can effect their ability to sell their items.

I’ll see some later today to be honest, but I don’t order anything from him right now ... also keep in mind that many craftsmen in sakai only work with one company or a small set of companies, so their items might not be as widely available. Additionally, those who work for many companies, don’t like their name to be attached to what they do for other people as it creates conflict between the companies who hire them to make things, and thus can effect their ability to sell their items.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that, I know several of the konosuke makers are still not known, I suspect he does a lot of work without attaching his name to the product as you have speculated. More then likely his name won't end on the final product. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a very long yanagi.

Ok... had my memory refreshed today... met him first many years ago as his workshop is next door to the Ittetsu sharpening workshop. He’s got a long ponytail (that is a bit more grey now) and was always very friendly. Older than me but younger than a lot of the guys talked about on here often.

Latest posts

Back