Sealing a Jnat

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thpp9

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my first Jnat today. An aiiwatani koppa from JNS and I was a bit too impatient and I gave it a go before sealing it. I did a quick polish and it turned out fine, I will definitely need to get a better feel for it through some practice tho. I also sharpened the edge of two knives and they felt really good afterwards, very pleased with that.

So, now I want to seal it. I've grabbed an acrylic lacquer spray and I already have some tape laying around. Do I have to wait for it to be completely dry? 3-4 hours after use and appears to be dry. Should I wait one or two days just to be safe or just proceed with the sealing today?

It may be a silly question, but right now I am feeling an extreme urge to polish some knives 😂

TIA

Realized you were asking about the STONE being dry. Mine sat for 24 hours after being wet, and it was only wet very briefly. No idea what would happen if you sealed it and it still had moisture in the middle, but jnats are expensive. I wouldn’t risk it. It’s only a day or two.

Realized you were asking about the STONE being dry. Mine sat for 24 hours after being wet, and it was only wet very briefly. No idea what would happen if you sealed it and it still had moisture in the middle, but jnats are expensive. I wouldn’t risk it. It’s only a day or two.
Mine was completely dry today and I started the sealing process a couple hours ago. I have applied 3 coats so far and I will apply one more and let it sit overnight. Tomorrow is gonna be a polishing day for sure tho.

Tbh it’s probably unlikely to matter if the stone isn’t completely dry. But also what H7302 said - jnats are expensive, so probably better to play pot odds and let it dry out completely like you did.

Enjoy the polishing! I have a JNS Aiiwatani Koppa in my possession atm. Lovely feeling stone and very good for super sharp edges, though I’ve not managed to get it polishing brilliantly yet. So give a shout if you have any clever tips or tricks after giving yours a run out...

I have successfully sealed the stone and just used it. I believe it would benefit from some atoma slurry or maybe a natural nagura (haven't used one yet, so I don't know that much about them).

Here are the results:
IMG_20220522_174023.jpg

IMG_20220522_174753.jpg

IMG_20220522_174821.jpg

After that I smoothed the iron clad with a bit of slurry I had on my atoma from the first session with the stone. I don't upload that, cause that's cheating lol.

Overall, it seems like a nice stone. Pretty fine and doesn't scratch the bevel if you apply the right pressure. Gives decent contrast and makes the hard steel pretty much mirrorish. Seems like it's able to make some details pop on the soft steel, which took me by surprise. What's even more weird is that they appeared on my "bad hand" haha.

My polishing definitely still has ways to go, but I am improving little by little 😁

Just a small Aiiwatani koppa. I am just dipping my toes into the rabbit hole 🤣
IMG_20220520_173226.jpg
IMG_20220520_173443.jpg
IMG_20220522_185501.jpg
IMG_20220522_185452.jpg

Just a small Aiiwatani koppa. I am just dipping my toes into the rabbit hole 🤣

"dipping my toes"

i doubt anyone has ever done that in the history of jnat's. you have to have the discipline of a buddhist monk to just dip your toes. looking forward to seeing pics of stones 5-10 in the coming months.

also, nice looking stone.

Please note there is no cheating in polishing - only achieving the results you’re looking for in the way that you want to achieve them.

Very, very nice first run at it! I’ve always wanted to try a JNS stone, looks like a great one.

"dipping my toes"

i doubt anyone has ever done that in the history of jnat's. you have to have the discipline of a buddhist monk to just dip your toes. looking forward to seeing pics of stones 5-10 in the coming months.

also, nice looking stone.
Don't worry, I am no buddhist 🤣
I am already trying to justify my next purchase lol

Please note there is no cheating in polishing - only achieving the results you’re looking for in the way that you want to achieve them.

Very, very nice first run at it! I’ve always wanted to try a JNS stone, looks like a great one.
Thank you for your kind words.
This stone was a recommendation from Maksim when I told him I was a noob interested to get my first Jnat. I am really happy with it. I will definitely buy more from JNS in the future. Also his delivery time was crazy. It took only 1 day from Denmark to Greece!

I have successfully sealed the stone and just used it. I believe it would benefit from some atoma slurry or maybe a natural nagura (haven't used one yet, so I don't know that much about them).

Here are the results:
View attachment 180773

View attachment 180774

View attachment 180775

View attachment 180776

After that I smoothed the iron clad with a bit of slurry I had on my atoma from the first session with the stone. I don't upload that, cause that's cheating lol.

Overall, it seems like a nice stone. Pretty fine and doesn't scratch the bevel if you apply the right pressure. Gives decent contrast and makes the hard steel pretty much mirrorish. Seems like it's able to make some details pop on the soft steel, which took me by surprise. What's even more weird is that they appeared on my "bad hand" haha.

My polishing definitely still has ways to go, but I am improving little by little 😁

Not just 'good for a first jnat effort'... that's properly nice. Great job!

---

This is the one I have atm, it's very fine, muds up quite nicely, and one of the loveliest feeling stones I've ever used. I must give it more of a go with polishing; it has a slight tendency to streak the cladding as you can see in the pic below. Though I imagine that's my own failings tbh - it gives the impression it should be excellent for it.

IMG-8178.jpg

IMG-8180.JPG

IMG-8182.JPG

Not just 'good for a first jnat effort'... that's properly nice. Great job!

---

This is the one I have atm, it's very fine, muds up quite nicely, and one of the loveliest feeling stones I've ever used. I must give it more of a go with polishing; it has a slight tendency to streak the cladding as you can see in the pic below. Though I imagine that's my own failings tbh - it gives the impression it should be excellent for it.

View attachment 180867

View attachment 180866

View attachment 180868
Thank you for your kind words!

That's a nice stone. There are a few streaks on the cladding but it gives a really nice contrast. I guess the streaks might be able to be removed with some mud on a cotton pad or something.

But leaving it be, is still really beautiful. I am really digging the contrast tbh.

Latest posts

Back