• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Selling - Devin Thomas ITK 270mm Wa-Gyuto AEB-L - $540 + Shipping (OBO)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is with much regret that I have decided to part with my Devin Thomas knife which has been my favorite knife for a decade. Sharpens super easy and holds an edge well. And Devin "Hoss" Thomas is in the culinary hall of fame for his knife making and metal forging.

Full disclosure. The knife has had two chips years ago and was tipped a couple of mm once. I had the damage profiled out. The original specs were 272x52x3.0 mm. The specs are now 268x48x3mm. I did thin the blade and restored the perfectly convex guide and it works well for me. I am 6'6" tall with big hands and it still has a lot of clearance for me. The blade is newly polished and sharpened and is a razor. The handle is new and is Amboyna Burl with brass spacers and a buffalo horn ferrule and heel.

This is a knife to be used instead of sitting in a collection and is priced as such.

Purchased for $540 plus taxes in 2010 from CKTG. If that were adjusted for inflation it would be over $800 today but...In light of the fact that it has been used, and sharped a lot and has lost ~3mm of height, I am willing to part for around what I originally paid - $540 plus shipping. That being said, I will entertain reasonable offers.

Devin Thomas is known for his incredible steel and heat treatment. From his website: "My focus with knives is to offer quality workmanship, the best damascus I can produce, and to make it into a comfortable knife with a thin edge and precise heat treatment. I feel that thick edges are for factory knives. A thin edge cuts longer, better, and is easier to sharpen. I think the best combination of durability and cutting ability is with a shallow, thin convex grind. The convex grind gives strength to the thin edge and pushes material away as it's cutting. My favorite stainless steel, AEB-L, offers many performance characteristics of carbon steels through it's extremely fine grain and carbide size, it is sometimes called "stainless 52100." These properties include: great ease of sharpening, edge retention, and toughness, while offering excellent stain resistance. The study of metallurgy and heat treatment has been an important pursuit for me. I have discovered which steels to use and what heat treatments for different knives and customers, but there is always more to learn. I use a multiple austenititizing technique with my stainless and carbon steels for a very small grain size. Cryogenic processing helps give the blades their maximum potential."

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpeg
    IMG_0417.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0418.jpeg
    IMG_0418.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0422.jpeg
    IMG_0422.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0424.jpeg
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It is with much regret that I have decided to part with my Devin Thomas knife which has been my favorite knife for a decade. But, I want to jump back down the rabbit whole and need to sell this knife to do so. It is a great cutter. Sharpens super easy and holds an edge well.

The knife is newly polished and sharpened and is a razor.

The handle is new and is Amboyna Burl with brass spacers and a buffalo horn ferrule and heel.

Purchased for $540 plus taxes in 2010 from CKTG. I do not want to take advantage so I have decided to sell if for the same price adjusted for inflation which rounds down to $825. First come, first serve as I do not want to run an auction.

Devin Thomas is known for his incredible steel and heat treatment. From his website:

"My focus with knives is to offer quality workmanship, the best damascus I can produce, and to make it into a comfortable knife with a thin edge and precise heat treatment. I feel that thick edges are for factory knives. A thin edge cuts longer, better, and is easier to sharpen. I think the best combination of durability and cutting ability is with a shallow, thin convex grind. The convex grind gives strength to the thin edge and pushes material away as it's cutting. My favorite stainless steel, AEB-L, offers many performance characteristics of carbon steels through it's extremely fine grain and carbide size, it is sometimes called "stainless 52100." These properties include: great ease of sharpening, edge retention, and toughness, while offering excellent stain resistance. The study of metallurgy and heat treatment has been an important pursuit for me. I have discovered which steels to use and what heat treatments for different knives and customers, but there is always more to learn. I use a multiple austenititizing technique with my stainless and carbon steels for a very small grain size. Cryogenic processing helps give the blades their maximum potential."
Re-evaluating the price base on feedback. I may be over-valuing the knife due to it losing 3-4 mm of heel height.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Last edited:
what was the original profile of the blade and height vs now? i am no devil itk expert but it seems like it's lost a few mm's of the profile?
Great queastion.

It had a tiny chip a few years ago which was profiled out. The height is about 48mm now. I thinned the blade to bring back a perfect convex grind in preparation of selling it. I am 6'6" and have huge hands and there in no knuckle rasping.

It is a great knife. I am unaware of the original specs but figure it lost a couple of millimeters due to the chip and sharpening. It has not affected the performance or cutting based on my experience. I have sharped it about 10 times and use a strop in between to maintain the edge.

Great queastion.

It had a tiny chip a few years ago which was profiled out. The height is about 48mm now. I thinned the blade to bring back a perfect convex grind in preparation of selling it. I am 6'6" and have huge hands and there in no knuckle rasping.

It is a great knife. I am unaware of the original specs but figure it lost a couple of millimeters due to the chip and sharpening. It has not affected the performance or cutting based on my experience. I have sharped it about 10 times and use a strop in between to maintain the edge.
So it lost 4mm

So it lost 4mm
Thank you.

If the original was 52mm then that is correct. I have not been able to access the original specs. Do you have them to provide? Would love to represent the knife as accurately as possible vs the original profile specs.

I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Thank you.

If the original was 51mm then that is correct. I have not been able to access the original specs. Do you have them to provide? Would love to represent the knife as accurately as possible vs the original profile specs.

I appreciate your help.
Quoted in another sellers listing

"Devin Thomas 270mm ITK Aebl gyuto. 272x52x3.0mm."

Thank you.

If the original was 51mm then that is correct. I have not been able to access the original specs. Do you have them. Would love to represent the knife as accurately as possible vs the original profile specs.

I appreciate your help.
I have #9 of the original run of ten knives Devin made. It measures 259 x 51 mm. The dimensions and profile were essentially identical to the Tadatsuna wa-gyuto that was used as a model.

Thank you. It has then lost about 3 mm. I appreciate the guidance. Thanks again.
Is the edge length 259mm or 272mm? These were made in batches and the specs possibly changed throughout the runs.

Great queastion.

Ya, I think a lot of this has to be disclosed, I am nowhere near the expert in these but even to me, the profile was way off.. I think new handle is fine, but 10 years of use, probably 50+ sharpening and losing of 4mm is VERY significant not to be disclosed

Ya, I think a lot of this has to be disclosed, I am nowhere near the expert in these but even to me, the profile was way off.. I think new handle is fine, but 10 years of use, probably 50+ sharpening and losing of 4mm is VERY significant not to be disclosed
Thank you. I agree. It is the first time I have sold a used knife so I am learning. I appreciate the guidance.

I changed the original post to reflect the current specs and condition. Thank you for the guidance.

I do agree it is pretty hard to price this knife for the secondary market. This is not to crap on your post. I do believe in free market and buyer can ask whatever he/she wants to ask and then it will be up to the potential buyers to decide whether to proceed. You seem to be a nice person. I would just add a data point for you to consider - Hoss charges about $650 for a brand new 210mm AEB-L gyuto today.

I do agree it is pretty hard to price this knife for the secondary market. This is not to crap on your post. I do believe in free market and buyer can ask whatever he/she wants to ask and then it will be up to the potential buyers to decide whether to proceed. You seem to be a nice person. I would just add a data point for you to consider - Hoss charges about $650 for a brand new 210mm AEB-L gyuto today.
Two questions. What do you think a reasonable price would be. Not trying to make a profit, just trying to be fair and there was a lot of inflation since I bought it. But it has been used and lost a little off the height at well. What would you price it at. I am looking for input.

My second question, is where can one actually buy Hoss knives at this point. I have looked and have not found any to buy new. I would likely replace mine with a new one if I could.

Two questions. What do you think a reasonable price would be. Not trying to make a profit, just trying to be fair and there was a lot of inflation since I bought it. But it has been used and lost a little off the height at well. What would you price it at. I am looking for input.

My second question, is where can one actually buy Hoss knives at this point. I have looked and have not found any to buy new. I would likely replace mine with a new one if I could.
if you want my opinion, $350 for a WELL used knife that lost alot of profile.

I don't think I'm qualified to answer the first question.

To answer your second question, Hoss is actively making knives today and you can buy directly from him.

if you want my opinion, $350 for a WELL used knife that lost alot of profile.
Thank you for your guidance. That seems a little low but I am learning so maybe that is much closer to what it should be if not spot on. I have asked some others for guidance as well so I will re-price the blade once I get a couple of more data points.

Thanks again. I am not trying to mislead anyone but was not originally aware that it had lost so much off the edge. I agree that that does make a difference. I have revised the post to mention the original specs and where it is now based on your input.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/devin-thomas-230-gyuto-1-2519-stainless.58697/
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...-arts-dt-yoshikane-tf-denka-ashi-ginga.67303/
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/devin-thomas-magnacut-gyuto.60581/#post-926809

Here’s 3 examples of DT knives that cost twice as much as yours maybe when purchased. They’re in alot better condition and the prices not too far off from what you’re asking.
The right DT with amazing Damascus, steel and great condition goes for what you’re asking and more.

If you want to know what a reasonable asking price might be I’d say $500IMO. Might sell for $400 give or take.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back