Setup advice for new out of the box Heiji's?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPD

Reaction score
After a few months waiting, just got word my new Heiji's are almost ready. I ordered them directly from Nakaya Heiji (despite the one great source here) so I could have the experience of buying straight from the maker. It was a fun process and I'm excited to finally get them. Both are semi-stainless - a 240 wa gyuto and one other custom little toy.
I plan to switch out the handles to some custom ones I am making out of African Blackwood and some amazing burl I've been sitting on, assuming I get enough time to finish them. But otherwise, just looking forward to using them.

The forum here helped influence my choice to get them a few months ago. Back to the well for some more knowledge - was wondering if anybody with Heiji experience has any setup suggestions to get the best out of them out of the box. Add a micro bevel? any other initial sharpening tips for OOTB? etc?

Any input much appreciated!

No no no, first cut some paper and cardboard with them. Just like you would in a kitchen with a kitchen knife
These are the only appropriate tests here, if you wanna test new knives.

take them into work on your biggest prep day of the week and go hard on them

i guess I set myself up for these answers by saying "Any input" would be appreciated. Ask and receive, I guess. lol. Am surprised nobody included using them as throwing knives at a spinning target .....or suggested filming a modern remake of a ginsu infomercial....or using them to whittle (fill in the blank).

If anybody has any constructive input re sharpening OOTB Heiji's to get the best out of them, that specific input would be much appreciated.

Use them...

+1. You are the person best placed to judge your preferences. Others have put microbevels on their Heijis, you may not need/wish too.

Paper and cardboard? Surely shaving your armhair or head remains the gold standard?

I'd use them but I'd be careful at first. My last Heiji came with a very thin edge that chipped excessively under moderate use. If you are careful and you still get a little chipping, put maybe a 30 deg micro on the right side (for a right hander usually) with a 3k+ stone and try it again. If you are pretty rough with your knives, I might suggest putting the micro on with a few strokes on a 1k ish stone and or increasing the angle on the micro.

I don't want to sound like a smart a**, but it just seems a it bit odd the you chose to circumvent a guy like Jon, a member/vender, who is a generous wealth of information, and who is known for insuring quality fit and finish. Now you want advice. I would have gone through him in the first place, just or the service and wisdom he shares here.

I don't want to sound like a smart a**, but it just seems a it bit odd the you chose to circumvent a guy like Jon, a member/vender, who is a generous wealth of information, and who is known for insuring quality fit and finish. Now you want advice. I would have gone through him in the first place, just or the service and wisdom he shares here.

i've bought plenty of stuff from Jon, but I bought my last Heiji direct. The price differential can be significant, but of course you don't get the Heiji that Jon spec'ed out. This was posted in the general Kitchen Knife forum, not in JKI, so I don't know what your problem is.

I can appreciate you looking out for a valued member of this community. Jon is clearly incredibly knowledgeable and a great and generous resource here. My choice to buy directly and my posting was not intended to be an insult to him (as you seem to have taken it, and I hope he does not).

I'm all for buying local and supporting our small businesses. In fact, I've referred a number of people to Jon in the past and will continue to in the future. Similarly, I've sent people to some of the other merchants on the boards here, and also will continue to.

It may seem "odd" to you but there are a lot of reasons somebody may choose to buy directly. Speaking only of mine, it was, as mentioned in the original post (which maybe you didn't read?), because I wanted the experience of ordering some custom knives and I wanted the experience of buying them straight from the craftsman who was making them . If I wasn't ordering something custom, I may well have bought from Jon and happily paid for the added service, quality control and attention to detail he adds to the equation. Even with custom, which I am sure he'd have graciously arranged, I probably would have ordered it through Jon if I didn't care about having the experience of working directly with the maker. But I wanted that experience. For me, that was valuable. Valuable for the experience alone, and also, valuable for the opportunity to communicate with and pay respect directly to the skill and craft that goes into something handmade by a master.

As for my seeking advice -which seems to have especially twisted your shorts - my question was aimed at other Heiji owners who might have had some insights from their own experiences. That sharing of information and shared interests is the foundation of these forums, I thought. I was hoping to learn from others' experiences and knowledge, just as I hope, I will also be able to constructively give back (something I've tried to do in other threads where I could add something to a discussion).

So....to the couple who responded with information on their Heiji experience (TK and EdipisReks) -- Thank You. Much appreciated.

Likewise -thanks - to the couple who sent PM's.

To Jon - apologies if by any off chance you were somehow offended or insulted by the original post... and I expect I'll be in touch about some Gesshin stones in the next month or two. Cheers.

lastly, to those who responded with funny replies. Will let you know how the knives do in breaking down cardboard for recycling. Seriously, a third thank you. Appreciate y'all keeping it light. :spin chair:

You'll probably just need to put a small bevel on the knife, and it'll be fine. Just remember that these are thin at the edge.

First thing, PM me and I'll send you my address.
Second, ship these Hejjee kniffs to me.
Thirdly forget this ever happened.

I've got a sweet Bud-K santoku with shoelace holes built in that you can utilize for all your chawpin' kneeds.
I'm doing you a favor, because you are sick in the head and need to not spend money like this on such an unimportant kitchen tool as a knife.

You're Welcome in advance!

Is this the 19c special your always trying to give away?? ;)

I've got a sweet Bud-K santoku with shoelace holes built in that you can utilize for all your chawpin' kneeds.
I'm doing you a favor, because you are sick in the head and need to not spend money like this on such an unimportant kitchen tool as a knife.

A bit of overreaction here, maybe? I find the OPs question more than legit and frankly like the constructive tone and attitude of his further explanation. No experience with Heijis unfortunately so can't help much!

I'm covered on Santoku's....any chance you could use it to maybe whittle me a gyuto out of something else? Maybe an old toothbrooth or maybe, punch one out of one of those old aluminum trash cans? always thought those had potential. If you can pull that off, we should talk.

First, what does CPD stand for? Second, just hide the Heiji in a very safe place and never use it! :knife:

Pete I think we have been thinking the same thing about what "CPD" stands for :cop:

First, what does CPD stand for? Second, just hide the Heiji in a very safe place and never use it! :knife:

Cook. Plate. Dine. ?
Colorless Potent Drink ?....

Good thing about acronyms is there are lots of possibilities. Sure others can come up with many more.

As for the real answer - far less entertaining than possibilities, afraid. did some graphic and industrial design work on the side at one point and that was the abbreviation of the company name the work was done under. D was for Designs... c and P had a couple meanings....

Back