Shady(but legit) Instagram seller

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately this is all too common for wise. Same thing happened to me. Took 2 business weeks for a payment of mine to go through. I would continue to check with him on a daily basis.

How does he have an account in NYC? Is he dual citizen. If he lives in Japan and not a resident of the US I don't think he can open a US account. Did you pay in USD or Yen?
I paid in USD and the account holder is: Wago Knife works Japan.

You can open an US account without being a resident or citizen. Same for a brokerage account
If that is the same as 20 years ago be prepared for questions from IRS if you do...

If that is the same as 20 years ago be prepared for questions from IRS if you do...
you just need to fill-out form W8-Ben letting the IRS know you are not a resident and you are golden. BTW, there is a difference between tax residency and residency from a immigration POV. The IRS doesn't care where you are from or your immigration status as long as you pay your fair share in taxes.

Anyway... back on topic...

Tried dealing with him for the Hana. Gave-up on me when I insisted on PayPal only, and only 5 percent additional on top of his price. Guy is really shady. Would not provide pic of knife with time stamp. Glad I got out. Good luck though. Hope everything turns out okay in the end.

Last edited:
I'd recommend using cc to pay via WISE. It costs some fee, yes, but it runs fast and you have at least a bit of insurance you won't have with an ordinary bank transfer.

I've bought some stuff from that Wago guy and everything arrived. But communication is difficult ...

He actually wrote me on IG and asked me to polish one of he’s knifes. He was pleasant to talk to and we had a great conversation. We never actually managed to do a deal - but for my part, he’s a nice guy 😂

People reading this thread in the future should know how it is to deal with him so they can decide if it’s worth all the hassle. For me it was really uncomfortable. He didn’t care about the buyer. On the day I was supposed to pay he said he made a mistake and thought I wanted a sujihiki. He then declared all gyutos were sold, even though I “reserved” a gyuto several days earlier. A few days later he shows a pic of a packing box with supposedly a gyuto inside, offering to sell it to me but wouldn’t bother showing the actual knife. For a first time buyer it was triggering a lot of red flags so I was glad the deal fell through. I tried to get out of the sale by insisting on 5% additional charge instead of the 10% he was adding for using PayPal. It’s a good thing he was too greedy and nixed the deal.

Last edited:
He tried to sell me Goko Kogetsu that he assured were shirogami, then he sent pics of a whole bunch of SK ones. That fell through, but later down I reached out for some other knives. He just came off like an a**h*** (was very short in his responses, and refused to answer questions).
Maybe it was a language barrier thing, but I doubt it. I’ve dealt with MANY Japanese craftsman and shops with language barriers. They always come off as polite.
Personally I don’t think he’s worth dealing with. It’s better to wait and make good deals with fellow forum members.

+1.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences with this guy. I feel a bit ashamed, in my 25+ years of dealing on the internet I have never done such a foolish thing.

+1.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences with this guy. I feel a bit ashamed, in my 25+ years of dealing on the internet I have never done such a foolish thing.
No reason to feel ashamed. And it seems like this will get worked out eventually. The guy doesn't seem like a scammer, just a terrible businessman.

Got the knife today but it was a 172mm santoku instead of a 195mm he claimed it was when he sold it to me. So all in all, not a very positive experience.

Back