Sharpening knives and listening to music

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
Sharpening a Kanehide TK semistainless 210 gyuto and an Akifusa western SRS15 210 gyuto on a Chosera 800 and 3000 in preparation for making salsa from the garden. Listening to music, streaming Jazz Classics playlist on Qobuz, Charles Mingus Good Bye Pork Pie Hat is playing right now.

Hadn't sharpened a knife in almost a year, some of them are getting kinda dull but surprised how sharp they have stayed.

How 'bout you?

Last edited:
I think most of us are obsessive enough to rarely need a full sharpen. Others have enough knives to use a different one each day for months.

Progressive trance keeps me paced and stops me from rushing. Some of Deadmau5’ old, brain meltingly boring stuff is my favourite at this time. Faxing Berlin is an excellent track.

At the moment I have to keep pretty quiet while I'm working on the stones, so it's usually a ballgame on low. If it's too late for any to be on, it's probably I Love You, Honeybear and there'll be something on ice as well.

Last edited:
Not music, but I was quite pleased last year when I discovered that the magnetic strip on a laptop computer that keeps it closed, can also do this:

1A8A6011-F0A6-4336-A1A1-373EB48D80CF.jpeg

American football, no less!

Indeed! I am a (long suffering) Panthers fan. It's very popular here in the UK, the London games sell out 90,000 seater stadiums pretty much as soon as tickets get released.

Also - whisper it quietly - it's actually a better and more interesting game than regular football.

Indeed! I am a (long suffering) Panthers fan. It's very popular here in the UK, the London games sell out 90,000 seater stadiums pretty much as soon as tickets get released.

Also - whisper it quietly - it's actually a better and more interesting game than regular football.
That’s interesting! I was unaware of the following despite the annual London games. The NFL pushes quite hard to expand their market (read: make more money).

I do love the minutiae the game involves. It’s incredibly slow and painful as a non-fan, but once I really sat down to watch there’s many a detail to obsess over. Only a few more weeks until regular season!

Some things are so blasphemous that even a whisper is too much.
I’m off to wash my eyes with bleach… o_O

That’s interesting! I was unaware of the following despite the annual London games. The NFL pushes quite hard to expand their market (read: make more money).

I do love the minutiae the game involves. It’s incredibly slow and painful as a non-fan, but once I really sat down to watch there’s many a detail to obsess over. Only a few more weeks until regular season!

Yeah I think it might have taken the NFL by surprise originally too, so they then expanded to 3 or 4 games a season here. There'd definitely be enough support for a London franchise, and the Jags do always now get a 'home crowd' in their games here.

Though I was slightly surprised when I went to the Panthers v Bucs game a couple of years back and at least 75% of the crowd were in blue. Clearly helped by the Efe Obada effect - I can't imagine there are many games in the NFL where 30,000 people turn up wearing the jersey of a defensive end!

How did you end up with the Panthers?

Err... sheer bad luck? 🤣

(I have a friend who's from SC, and went to visit her a couple of times when she was at Columbia uni. So kinda got it from there.)

Some things are so blasphemous that even a whisper is too much.
I’m off to wash my eyes with bleach…

Haha! I do like proper football too, but once you've put the leg work in to understanding all the rules - NFL is really fascinating.

Back