sharpening steels

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the years (often because they came with thrift shop purchases) I have accumulated a bunch of "steels" that I could, I suppose, use to abuse my good knives. Since I don't like to do that, I stuck them in a drawer, where the pile keeps on growing. So now I am wondering about what if anything, I can do with them..

For example, presumably the steel in these things was relatively hard, so now I'm curious if any bladesmiths who use reclaimed steel have ever turned old sharpening steels into knives. If so what does it involve and are old carbon sharpening steels a good source for good clean carbon steel to reuse...

TIA

I have seen few guys doing knives out of them , considering you would need an inch and a bit thick bar to forge a gyuto they will make paring or petty at most

You could sharpen the tips on a bench grinder and turn them into lawn darts:idea2:

Be well,
Mikey

You could sharpen the tips on a bench grinder and turn them into lawn darts:idea2:

Be well,
Mikey
I feel like this could be the second part of that silly chefsteps video DIY steak knives...

The easy answer for a drawer full of steels is to box them up and send them to Knyfeknerd for his PIF projects. He sends out some Forgies and some German knives so a steel would be a good addition. I've sent him a few and they've either been re-homed or Knerd now has got his own drawer full of steels.:cool2:

Knyfenerd if you want them PM me with the address and I'll be happy to send them on... (I wouldn't use them on a forgie though the chef knives I have are 60 to 61 HRC and I wouldn't let a steel touch them after I tune them up by thinning and lowering the angle :)

Back