Shaving with straight razor?? Newbie Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I've fallen for a couple of Butch's, but I just can't swing it. Wish I could, though!
I did find an awesome little refurb project at an antique store, hiding in a box on the ground. It's a Wade and Butcher "You lather well, I'll shave well". If anyone knows anything about the timeline on these, I'd love to find out some info.
Oh yeah, Butch, I'm gonna hassle you a bit for some advice again, if that's cool.

Yeah, I've fallen for a couple of Butch's, but I just can't swing it. Wish I could, though!
I did find an awesome little refurb project at an antique store, hiding in a box on the ground. It's a Wade and Butcher "You lather well, I'll shave well". If anyone knows anything about the timeline on these, I'd love to find out some info.
Oh yeah, Butch, I'm gonna hassle you a bit for some advice again, if that's cool.
pics of the razor will help to narrow down the period of origin.

Here's a pic of the little beauty. I've already gotten rid of the chips, and cleaned it up some. I plan on rescaling it and cleaning up the blade.

f5e8071c.jpg

Here's a pic of the little beauty. I've already gotten rid of the chips, and cleaned it up some. I plan on rescaling it and cleaning up the blade.

f5e8071c.jpg
based on the tail style the razor was made not earlier than 1845.

I'm with MM on that as well, later half of 1800's, a fine razor to learn on. Even though the tip is square, and not a spike, you should have no problems getting the hang of shaving with it. Spikes tend to bite people when they first start the learning curve, or when they forget they have been using very old rounded tips for too long :p

DSCN2699.jpg

i have 2 blades that didnt make the cut looks wise and i ll get some sort of handle around thenn and send them off

ok took invintory i have a cpm154 test blade in a handle and my 2nd house razor (a small guy ) i also have 2 blades that will fit in the full sized razor handle that you can grind till your hearts content as they are all flalled
niloc hows that sound to play with (i ll hone up the SS and the small guy but the 2 blades i ll leavge unhoned so you can see how that is)

well oif ther eis anything nleft i will use then to promote straight sahveing

i have often thought about amkeing 3 razors in different grinds thst i could ship out as test blades to see what grind a possable buyer might want in a custom

Wow, more then I expected !

BTW what's the deference between a wedge and hollow ground? I know visually the difference but are the used differently?

There was a story in the local paper about a home invasion thing, a photo of a tear gas canister stuck in a wall, next to a hanging strop!

the heaver the blade the less feeback and noise tho being stiff the wedge can be easer to hone if you are usign too much pressure (you will scuff the hel out of the sides of a full hollow if you press to hard )

think wedge = dump truck, full hollow singing edge = sports car both are great at there job but they both do it in different ways

Correct, Straight shaving is an art form, every little thing you do alters the outcome in some way, but they all get you there the same. Personal prefference at every step changes how you react to the experience. So by trying as many differences as you can only hightens the experience once you find the golden system that works for you.

Try it all and enjoy :)

I have to admit, I got a bit careless this morning, and had 4 little nicks in a row, just above my Adam's apple. However, with that being said, it ended up being a very clean shave.
Is it possible that my Pre-shave cream could cause more cuts?

I have to admit, I got a bit careless this morning, and had 4 little nicks in a row, just above my Adam's apple. However, with that being said, it ended up being a very clean shave.

I don't think so lefty. I've been straight shaving for over 2 years now. I have shaved with and without pre shave and never found it to cause any nicks. It could of been a different angle you went down on the neck area that might of caused it. Or sometimes to much pressure. But most likely not the pre shave.

I think it is technique, try short strokes to be able to better work around the curves in that area.
I personally do not do beard prep no pre-shave oils etc, and get great shaves and very very rarely nick my self.

I think it depends highly on your skin and beard if you need beard prep. In my case, I can't do without. Tough beard and sensitive skin is not a good combination. But with the right beard prep everythings is fine.

Try different combinations and see what works best for you.

I love show and tell.

This is restored razor dated to be around 1850 to 1910. It is a JOSEPH RODGERS (ROGERS) & SONs and been making razors and knives from 1682 to about 1991. Here is a little more info:

Appointed cutlers to His Majesty King George IV in 1821; chosen as one of 5 firms to make cutlery speciments for presentation to the Duke of York in 1826 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)

DSC_0200.jpg

HenkelsfromGCollins-1.jpg

Hinkels and Coticule from my grandfather.

PosablePond.jpg

My first meat chopper, unknown maker but a portion of a crown stamp is there.

DSC00982.jpg

Frederick Raynolds

DE4-8.jpg

Diamond Edge

Just to show some other styles of razors that are out there. I love the variations that used to be around in the 1800's as makers where trying to catch the eyes of the shaving public. Befor and after the style was pretty much set in a single style for the most part. After 1820 you see a change from a sharpened popcicle stick to the modern tang and shoulder. After 1900 you see the modern mass produced straight angles take over. But in the 1800s there are a huge veriety of styles, mostly out of england and a few from germany. German makers adopted the modern style early on and it seems to have stayed popular with manufacturers. Not to say they shave any better, but the modern style sure is easier to maintain for the avg user.

Just thought you all would like to see some goodies :)

Gotta make this quick, since I'm off to work (yes, already).
I shaved, last night with my King Cutter, and worked up a BEAUTIFUL lather with my Proraso, in a mug. It was literally, the closest shave I have ever had, with no irritation, whatsoever. A full hollow sure can be noisy, though! :)

I just spent some time with my Wade & Butcher Special on a Shobudani Asagi with an Asago Nagura and it was time very well spent! I was happy with the way my Bo-Ras-Ic responded to the setup, butt the Wade & Butcher really shines now!
And no blood, either!

I love show and tell.

This is restored razor dated to be around 1850 to 1910. It is a JOSEPH RODGERS (ROGERS) & SONs and been making razors and knives from 1682 to about 1991. Here is a little more info:

Appointed cutlers to His Majesty King George IV in 1821; chosen as one of 5 firms to make cutlery speciments for presentation to the Duke of York in 1826 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)

View attachment 3684

Nice, I have a couple of Joseph Rogers smiling wedges, one needs restoring and scales, I'm using the other, its a fantastic shaver. :biggrin:

Since we don't have a SOTD thread, I thought this might be the spot to post what I shaved with, this morning.
I used a 9/16 Joseph Allen XLL with barber's notch and bocote scales, an Arko shaving stick with my Omega boar brush for face lathering, and used my Proraso Pre/Post shave cream to start and finish. I LOVE THIS STUFF!

716f50aa.jpg

How sensitive are we talking? I recently discovered that a good face lather really lifts the stubble and softens it up. Maybe you should try a pre-shave for sensitive skin.

How sensitive are we talking? I recently discovered that a good face lather really lifts the stubble and softens it up. Maybe you should try a pre-shave for sensitive skin.
I haven't been able to tolerate shaving the area from my neck to my nose more than twice a week regardless of method. So, yes, I'd be interested in some suggestions. :D

Latest posts

Back