• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Shi.Han “Old Stock” Mono 52100 (Silk Pouch/Original “Kanji”) (Price Drop)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_2808.jpg

525$ 500$ USD shipped/insured Canada/ConUS

210mm edge, 49.5mm wide at heel, +/- 225g, balanced about 15mm forward the heel.

A collector’s item… but also, IMO just the most perfect 210mm workhorse you’ll ever work with.

Couple links to see and know more:

Full Review: Shi.Han 52100 Gyuto

Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

If you want to take the scenic detour, just hit the Advanced Search with “Shi.Han” keyword targeting my posts.

Pedigree:

2 years with me, bought new, vintage made about 6 years ago (from shop’s intel they got it in the winter of 2017). Usually I will sell 90% of knives I get within 3 months, and “keepers” within a year. So there you go: I will regret this sale and I will miss MY Shi.Han especially.

Geometry.jpg

Respectfully thinned and maintained, reprofiled to awesomeness, some important convexity always capitalized first and foremost.

Profile.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

Swapped from the back then standard Ho Sheehan once sourced from Japan, to his own Mora monopiece he does now for many of his knives. That’s a bit of an oversized one I requested from him to rebalance the knife to my taste; fitted by myself and the machi gap is intended.

The heel was slightly rounded at the beginning of my thinning it a long while ago, which still just about imperceptibly shows. Part of the reprofiling process… and I figure next maintenance would erase it completely at last. Blade goes quite thinner forward especially at the tip.

IMG_2814.jpg

Feel free to ask anything you need to know about, but the first link above is my original review of the knife, and will tell you much of everything you need to know about the reprofiling and work that happened since. That’s also where you’ll see that kimono pouch. Pics here show it after my last maintenance about a month ago – except profile/spine, taken around the time of the second link, which was not so long before that.

IMG_2811.jpg
IMG_2812.jpg

Meanwhile, the finish is not perfect. Lots of scratches showing. If you want a nicely looking polish on this mono 52100, you need to work up a tighter progression a few steps further than I do, and I’ve long not bothered anymore with that especially where it tends to stick with food.

IMG_2817.jpg
IMG_2818.jpg

Performance is awesome. In fact hard to believe when looking at the bulk of it – tip work especially is surprising: precise, authoritative, very agile.

IMG_2807.jpg

Be well folks!

Last edited:
God I didn't forget about the pics, and the pedigree... buuuuut I just realized I posted this with the target amount in CAD I wanted to get... TOTALLY forgot to do the conversion.

And there I was, wondering why not even ONE query since I posted it... :rolleyes:😒

I'm really sorry guys!

Latest posts

Back