Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, now that's a thought!

Value needs to be accurate because package will be insured for the true cost. I'll be damned if they end up in the bottom of the ocean with nothing to show for it.

You could try to have it sent as "repairs" - you can still declare the true value but it won't trigger an automatic customs charge.

It's not technically legal - but the very worst that could happen is that they decide to charge you.

Oh yeah, I've had FedEx packages en route, then just stop for days, with no information available. Then a letter arrives in the mail, asking me to pay duties, and only after that is paid does the package continue to me.

Here in France, and I assume in the US now, they mostly have this on a website now: you get an email or a text asking you to pay up or your **** goes back where it came from. I've had this from DHL and FedEx. I've also seen at least two scam messages doing this. So as always, be careful. :D

You left out the option "Abandon Package" lol yea, I'll abandon the package that I paid a grip for.

Wait for EMS to resume

This is a terrible delivery service and should be purged from the planet, status updates are idle for weeks on end.
Perhaps it was due to the pandemic but I've lost several packages, funny thing is for some, a few appeared months later.

declaring lower value or repair ain't gonna work much longer in the EU, prepare for beefed up checking as the EU has implemented a new system where almost everything imported gets VAT added, likely an attempt to keep Jack Ma in check. Foreign shops get the 'opportunity' to register for VAT in any EU country and have customers pay VAt on check-out and the shop will pay the tax man in whatever country they picked (I don't think the VAT range is wider than a couple of % across the EU), EU countries will sort the VAT payments out with one another :oops:

A question! Maybe of topic. This deba is still unsold:
https://selectkitchenknives.com/products/shigefusa-deba-130-mmIs it the price, model or something else?
It’s a 130mm ajikiri/kodeba. Good for small things like mackerel.

Would be too small for any thing bigger than that.

kasumi ajikiri are not very common but it isn’t cheap either. You can find kasumi 150-180mm deba in this price range too from shigefusa

Of course - i tried to explain this above. Basically, something made in the UK can be exported to the EU for no duties in most cases since Brexit, but Japanese knives are not made in the UK, so they can't be. This has crippled all kinds of trade between the UK and the EU, because things that are partly made in the UK may or may not apply. Marks & Spencer in Paris is empty because they didn't figure this stuff out in advance and now realize that they are completely incapable of supplying mediocre english sausage and bacon and stuff to english ex-pats. I have a group of english friends here and you'd think we were suffering world war 2 food rationing.
Time for them to wake up to the plethora of food that the nirvana that is Paris has to offer.

There's one part of the market you're in control of though :)
Yeah, im not spending super big bucks on them, but my point is that not enough to bring them down. Now if the market as a whole was rejecting it, then prices would be more reasonable. I really like them and would like to have more. Im not crying about it, just my 2 cents.

They lasted 10 minutes, and then a 210 was up. I do love the Shig Kanji - it makes me want to get one every single time

how is it even possible to hit this 5 mins window without pure luck to be browsing the page... I got an IG up but that was like 20 mins later and everything was sold (as always). sad!

how is it even possible to hit this 5 mins window without pure luck to be browsing the page... I got an IG up but that was like 20 mins later and everything was sold (as always). sad!
Some people have nothing better to do than sit in front of their 💻 pummeling F5 or refresh.

How much did they go for today?

Sheesh this is pretty ridiculous... lol whats the point of a Alert thread... All it does is to make me turn green with jealousy....

Latest posts

Back