• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Shigefusa 270mm gyuto (Yo-kasumi or wa-Kitaeji); Carter 225mm blue Damascus funayuki (blue Damascus); couple jnats/naguras from JNS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Selling one of my two shigs in a package deal, with a Carter and some jnats, but I might consider splitting up. Whichever shig goes means I’ll keep the other one.

Shigefusa 270mm gyuto (Yo-kasumi)

Shigefusa western gyutos generally don’t need much of an introduction, but this was a special order (kkf members from awhile back will remember the connection/source) to have the kanji on the left side of the knife, I think the grind is the same (see choil below)

I also got a Japanese sugi saya and handle by @thegingerninja.abq and tailored sheath by @lpmotifs (the sugi is from Stefan Keller). There is also a custom kiri box which fits the knife, saya and sheath. The blue shig box is also included.

I’ve included some pics Cody sent me as my photography skills suck, but have also included my mediocre pictures, including alongside my 270mm Kitaeji wa-gyuto

92576361-76C8-4DF6-AABC-33FEC29597D6.jpeg

166216D8-8700-44FA-AE94-8D2F0DDAE2CD.jpeg

D1FF795A-B110-4917-AB9C-205BEBFA2DD1.jpeg

7107E14E-F2A7-49AB-BB42-ED0EA35438C0.jpeg

47CFCAAF-DE0A-4C93-80D2-14D695D720AD.jpeg

49BB7EF6-E010-4B83-8BF3-E7A939543AD0.jpeg

D3340E73-2982-4BFB-9299-6418EDE93D1A.jpeg

it is the knife from this kkf post and Instagram post:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/show-your-newest-knife-buy.7655/post-699327

Shigefusa 270mm gyuto (wa-Kitaeji)

Got this in December 2018 from JNS, I am the original owner, but it lived with @valgard for just under a year before coming back home to me. If I may paraphrase him (feel free to correct me) it was one of the better performing shig gyutos he’s used.

the pictures below are of the knife currently, I’m getting bad lighting so am trying to get another to show the kitaeji. There is a crack in the horn ferrule (I’ll try to get another picture), but I will replace with a new handle if this is the shig which sells. There is also a sheath similar to the yo-kasumi, but no saya or kiri box (blue box included).

09693F2E-C100-48EB-8431-EB5401F51655.jpeg

BD8D7695-F55B-41B2-8339-D39FDA0181C5.jpeg

87F5A414-8E1B-4355-9160-F17BAB62EB99.jpeg

Looks like I can’t add any more pictures so will make another post for the kitaeji choil shot and the others. The kitaeji gyuto is from this Instagram post:

Carter 225mm blue Damascus funayuki (blue Damascus)

A number of years ago, Carter stopped using other steels and was focusing mostly on white steel. In about 2016, he did was was supposed to be a “limited run” of approximately 50 knives with blue steel core and shop-welded Damascus cladding (sort of like a KU tsuchime Damascus cladding). I understand that they became rather popular and production continued, but the earleir ones only had the “Carter” stamp (similar to most of the other knives he was doing at the time).

this knife was online for $750.00, but also had a custom friction saya and handle made by @graydondecollibus in 2018 … koa, bog oak mammoth tooth, nickel-silver for the handle, and fiddleback eucalyptus for the saya. The ancient bog oak from @burlsource and the was obtained from Stefan Keller. … also @********* sharpened and polished the knife to remove some of the grind marks (due to the thin and forged geometry there are still some original grind marks visible), but there is now some patina due to reactivity of the steel.

I’ll upload current pictures later, but it is also in this Instagram post:

Ohira Renge Suita Lv 3,5 (a965) and Ozuku Asagi lv 5+ (a959) and some random naguras

I will also upload current pictures of these, but here are the jns links for now. Also stones and naguras have been sealed with cashew lacquer, only the suita has been used and still is very close to the original height.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/ohira-range-suita-lv-3-5-a965/

Ozuku Asagi lv 5+ (a959)

Price / shipping

I’d like to sell as a set (with one shig only) but will consider splitting things up, PM to discuss. Shipping is kind of diffnert due to covid, so I’d prefer to use a better class of service such as DHL, but that is more expensive. PayPal fees and shipping/insurance are accounted for in the asking prices.

With the shigefusa Kitaeji, Carter, jnats/naguras the price is $2400USD

With the shigefusa kasumi, Carter, jnats/naguras the price is $4200USD

Please send me a PM to discuss and we’ll go from there. Thanks for looking.

regards,
Tanner

Choil shot of the shigefusa Kitaeji wa-gyuto (since I could only add 10 pictures in the previous post).
C112C8E2-0327-46C6-BB04-3642EDFF60C3.jpeg
I’ll add pictures of the carter and jnats later, it’s difficult to use this new mobile UI for kkf

Phew.... beautiful stuff man. Wish I could make a run at that Yo-Shig.

Good luck with this!

Totally awesome deal! I don't buy knives anymore but this is so dang tempting! Would be over the top for me if the yo handled was a kitaeji... GLWS

Latest posts

Back