• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Shihan Telegraph Wire Clad W2 Core 270*62*4.25

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparten007

It’s all about the man behind the forge….
Banned
Reaction score
This blade is the very first one of the Telegraph Wire blade series.

It took some times, patience, convincing with no guaranty that it would be finished by the maestro himself, Shihan who honed and elevated his skills to a whole new level under the guidance of one of Japan's master knife-makers, Hiroshi Ashi for two years while living in Japan. If you know you know!!

This is the very first post by Shihan with a mock up handle.

This blade is a special one, but you already knew that.

This blade was forged with reclaimed telegraph wire cladding in a straight pattern. The core is AISI W2 steel, water quenched to 62 HRC. It has a moderate tapper and a good convex grind. (Right from Shihan’s page)

The handle construction is custom and it is compromised of one my favorite wood, Redwood Burl, Ebony and Copper.

Size:
270x62mm
Thickness:
It’s 4.25mm at the base of the handle and 2.6mm before the tip.

Weight:
314 gr.

Cash Value:
1250$ Shipped to your door CONUS (all fees included)
International please DM me

Condition:
Never been used and or Sharpened

Trade:
Comparable blade from below makers for close to the same value, we can work out details once we get there.
Yanick
Xerxes
Robert

Here the link for the blade to my page (this blade dose not place nice with camera and not easy to capture, much more sticking in person of course)

Let me know if anyone has any questions or needs more pictures in addition to the below.
459C7BCB-D862-43C5-83BA-C4ADDF7781EB.jpeg
E49341CC-5F88-4F36-BEDD-FA11EE6334EA.jpeg
85406CA2-242D-4DFF-A7F6-FED46F589D80.jpeg
1FD4E736-72E4-42C9-877E-D5DA76C5CDBE.jpeg
8B11BE90-58F1-4D60-8F9F-47C25BB66AEA.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that some clay left on the cladding?

GLWS! I love Shihan's knives!

Hi Jose, No, that’s how the coloring on the clad ended up to be as each blade is different. I don’t believe he would leave left over clay on his clad and let it out his shop 😅

What kind of steel would telegraph wire have been made from?

From Google, learned of this generally having been "8 gauge uninsulated steel wire" carried on glass or ceramic insulators, a single wire system with an earth ground return.

Plus, a quick intro to the origins of lightning protection for electronics... (shudder).

Hi Bert,
If I remembered correctly I posed that question to Shihan and it’s basically a high grade Iron after the wires are cleaned up and processed to be ready for forging. Again this is purely off my memory. I could be wrong.

All I know, as a seasoned maker he is, this material was a great candidate to use as a clad to construct for this blade. I have yet to see it with patina to see how it would react after use.

I am sure there is someone here than can offer a better answer. It’s a Shihan blade so I trust his judgment in alloy choices. I never doubt the man like Shihan behind the forge. 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Added weight in description here is a photo as well:
8B8CE7B3-F444-4F5E-8B4A-5BA5178E72FA.jpeg

I am motivated to sell this to regain the fund I used for HF last blade for sale. It was an impulse buy but I think I am going to love it.

Please send me your reasonable offers.

Similar blade with standard handle on Shihan web store was not far from my price with just a standard handle. I have all fees included.

Cheers 🍻

Bump with 1200$ If these were numbered, it would be 1 of XX.

Bump now $1150 let’s get this to a good home!!

BUMP with a generous drop in price.

$1050 Shipped CONUS

Let’s get this beast to do some work it’s intended for!!!

Bump 980$ That’s the lowest this gorgeous blade will go down to. Final price drop!!

Cheers! 🍻

I am leaving the last discounted price of $980 till 10/25 and if not sold by then, all discounts will be removed and back to the top @ $1250.

This blade deserves better.

Thanks for looking!

From the picture you provided in this listing, it appears there are microchips along the last several centimeters of the knife. Can you please clarify and confirm that condition is “never been used” as listed?
1635113315484.png

From the picture you provided in this listing, it appears there are microchips along the last several centimeters of the knife. Can you please clarify and confirm that condition is “never been used” as listed.
View attachment 148531

I don’t believe that picture can show details, I can see why you would be concerned.
Here is picture I just took.

let me know if you have any other questions.
866CA5BE-D51F-4FA0-9A55-F1D4E8B675CF.jpeg

Oh, And yes, the condition is never been used. The cladding is wire clad my first one of this kind.

I use an anti corrosion spray on my blades and oil afterwards for all blades on my magnetic rack.

Oh, And yes, the condition is never been used. The cladding is wire clad my first one of this kind.

I use an anti corrosion spray on my blades and oil afterwards for all blades on my magnetic rack.
So this blade has been mounted on the magnetic rack? Also, have you applied any spray and/or oil on it?

It looks to have more brown areas on it than on the original Shihan instagram photos.

Also, let me makes this clear, this is an incredible blade by one of the best makers in new condition. Like most of us or maybe some of us here the goal of downsizing is a myth but we still want to think in those terms, but there is always more coming regardless if these sell or not, if they do, I hope they find a new owner as passionate as I am about them and out them to a great use.

So this blade has been mounted on the magnetic rack? Also, have you applied any spray and/or oil on it?

It looks to have more brown areas on it than on the original Shihan instagram photos.

Yes every two weeks or the most monthly. I can’t trace how it changed clad color or if I got it that way I did not go back and compare. All my blades are in an open air on professionally made magnetic rack either with leather surface or salmon skin all hand made by:

https://instagram.com/piotrthebear?utm_medium=copy_link

It clearly looks different than in Shihan post, like a patina. Can you please tell us how this appeared?

I can’t tell you since I really did not even noticed till it was brought up here. I obviously posted the makers pictures and mine. Pretty much transparent. If the clad changed by time or me touching it as moving around them I can not be certain. But regardless that has zero bearing on the condition of this blade. It’s not a defective or anything damaging. This blade was never used paper test yes, but not on food.

This is the Corrosion Inhibitor I used that recommended by one of pretty well known maker using on his blades and guns:
30A096C2-DBED-44FE-8955-A56ECA6FABB1.jpeg

Shihan makes the best knives, this is truly amazing, Japanese makers charge $2500 for this same knife

Look up who Shihan trained with

just wanna put it out there that telegraph wire is a very very reactive cladding. I have heard that will get that kind of ruddy orange color just with exposure to air buuuuuut I haven't owned one for more than a month so please 🧂salt my opinion to taste

Yeah it mostly looks like what a dirty/sweaty thumb can leave of "darkening" after some handling in a pinch with very reactive cladding/mono. Or long term Semi-SS. I'd rather have you put some pepper on @nakiriknaifuwaifu opinion and salt mine instead. Or something.

Back