Shipment from Canada to US

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucmd

Reaction score
Question for you knife nerds. I want to buy a knife in Canada and ship to US.
what is the safest method for shipment? Can you please summarize taxes/costs/ duty. Thanks so much

Canadian here, and I've never had problems when ordering gear from the U.S. and shipped via U.S.Postal Service. The U.S. postal service handles the shipment as far as the Canadian border, then Canada Post takes over. It's been a while, but I recall paying $5.00 brokerage fees to Canada Post, and that was it,,, no duties. As for taxes, it really doesn't matter,,,, you're going to pay the same rate regardless of whether you're buying the item in the U.S. or Canada.

Give the U.S. Postal Service a call, and tell them you want to buy an item from Canada, and they'll tell you what (if anything) is involved.

I'd contact U.S. Customs also to see what they have to say. If you're buying a knife for kitchen duty, ask your vendor to label it as such (Kitchen Cutlery,,,Chef's Knife,,, made in xxxx, value (whatever the bill says), private/personal home use (not for re-sale)

Last edited:
Tried to get a Robert Herder knife from
Old faithful in Canada they said ship to USA.

Would not accept my Hawaii address. I bought a RH knife from Germany a 1910 model. Best grind ever seen on a German knife even counting old carbons. Was looking for a 1922
Everywhere sold out, no luck BST. They have Herder's Japanese Gyuto style 230mm with no finger guard. Same type handle as my 1910.

Letting it get a full unforced patina just using it
Only sharpened it once light pressure progression on gesshin 4K. Gets a really sharp edge, easy with thin grind & just falls through ripe tomatoes.
IMG_20211222_170933512.jpg
IMG_20211222_171000147_MP.jpg

So nice to know that some nice knives coming out of Germany. Thought would get another one while still can. Benuser said going into less
labor intensive methods.

Canadian here, and I've never had problems when ordering gear from the U.S. and shipped via U.S.Postal Service. The U.S. postal service handles the shipment as far as the Canadian border, then Canada Post takes over. It's been a while, but I recall paying $5.00 brokerage fees to Canada Post, and that was it,,, no duties. As for taxes, it really doesn't matter,,,, you're going to pay the same rate regardless of whether you're buying the item in the U.S. or Canada.

Give the U.S. Postal Service a call, and tell them you want to buy an item from Canada, and they'll tell you what (if anything) is involved.

I'd contact U.S. Customs also to see what they have to say. If you're buying a knife for kitchen duty, ask your vendor to label it as such (Kitchen Cutlery,,,Chef's Knife,,, made in xxxx, value (whatever the bill says), private/personal home use (not for re-sale)

This is all pretty solid. Only thing is he’s not subject to GST/PST/HST coming into the US. Duties are outlined in my link.

This is all pretty solid. Only thing is he’s not subject to GST/PST/HST coming into the US. Duties are outlined in my link.

Yes,,, I was describing what we Canadians pay,,,, and in the U.S., I'd imagine it would be somewhat similar (Federal and State taxes (if any). I have no idea if the U.S.P.S. charges for brokerage fees. I suspect that with the volume of packages that cross the border, the vest majority are simply waved through, with no extra fees,,, especially with relatively inexpensive items. (whatever the exemption is in the U.S.A.)

Point of interest; we do over $750 Billion trade per year with the U.S.)

Tried to get a Robert Herder knife from
Old faithful in Canada they said ship to USA.

Would not accept my Hawaii address. I bought a RH knife from Germany a 1910 model. Best grind ever seen on a German knife even counting old carbons. Was looking for a 1922
Everywhere sold out, no luck BST. They have Herder's Japanese Gyuto style 230mm with no finger guard. Same type handle as my 1910.

Letting it get a full unforced patina just using it
Only sharpened it once light pressure progression on gesshin 4K. Gets a really sharp edge, easy with thin grind & just falls through ripe tomatoes. View attachment 157260View attachment 157261

So nice to know that some nice knives coming out of Germany. Thought would get another one while still can. Benuser said going into less
labor intensive methods.

Keith, if they only ship to the lower 48 states, do you have a relative on the mainland that you could have it shipped to, and they in turn, forward it to you?

I just contacted them by email USPS box rate(your own box) is cheapest way to ship to Hawaii. Flat Rate Priority mail boxes little more but same as mainland.

Even my 1910 from Germany shipping very reasonable. Didn't even know they were producing carbon chef knives with out finger guards until found Old Faithful Shop in Canada.

Keith, if they only ship to the lower 48 states, do you have a relative on the mainland that you could have it shipped to, and they in turn, forward it to you?

Worked it out free shipping to Mainland just charging me 12.00 to Hawaii.

Happy Holidays to you too. Maybe the James Webb Telescope will leave the launch pad this season for some real fireworks.

Back