Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received a Tesshu Damascus Gyuto in Blue 1 steel. It is a beautiful an unusual knife that I asked Takeshi at Aframestokyo to order a long time ago. It is a single bevel gyuto which I have not seen before. I have been using it on both vegetables and proteins and it is absolutely marvelous in its performance. I love it. Here are a couple of pics

20151001_170202_zpsmhoqol4j.jpg

20151001_170156_zpsk5y8p0jo.jpg

20151001_170233_zps7bgkgyoh.jpg

20151001_174834_zpswpbfed4h.jpg

Just received a Tesshu Damascus Gyuto in Blue 1 steel. It is a beautiful an unusual knife that I asked Takeshi at Aframestokyo to order a long time ago. It is a single bevel gyuto which I have not seen before. I have been using it on both vegetables and proteins and it is absolutely marvelous in its performance. I love it. Here are a couple of pics

20151001_170202_zpsmhoqol4j.jpg

20151001_170156_zpsk5y8p0jo.jpg

20151001_170233_zps7bgkgyoh.jpg

20151001_174834_zpswpbfed4h.jpg

Whoa that's cool but how is that different from a Deba? And from my experiences with SB knives, I would expect major steering , no? Very curious

Couldn't resist Maksim's sale. I fell so completely in love with my 300mm Toyama Noborikoi Sujihiki that I just had to have a gyuto from him as well.

247mm long, 56mm tall at the heel.

d5deddef9f65debf25ed.png

e68a912f6a9f20fc7c13.png

Sadly, the choil is not rounded, but that's an easy fix.

I came duo close to snagging one of those Toyamas myself. I've heard great things about these

I'm doing some stuff on one of those sujis. Very nice knives.

I have two debas and they are thicker with taller blades and different profile for the edge, although I can see myself using it on smaller fish as I would a deba. The Tesshu has the profile of a gyuto but it is single bevel and made with the same techniques as the traditional Japanese knives. It was made by Kenichi Shiraki, the same blacksmith that does knives for both Murray Carter and Takeshi Aoki I am experimenting with it now and I am far from being as knowledgeable as many others in this forum. I do not notice major steering but cutting does feel different. I find myself inclining the blade a little for proteins as I do with the yanagiba, however, with vegetables, the flat side follows better my knuckles and the bevel releases the food very nicely. I am really happy and I am learning by using it, which is a joy. It seems it is also very easy to put a great edge in the stones.

Couldn't resist Maksim's sale. I fell so completely in love with my 300mm Toyama Noborikoi Sujihiki that I just had to have a gyuto from him as well.

247mm long, 56mm tall at the heel.

d5deddef9f65debf25ed.png

e68a912f6a9f20fc7c13.png

Sadly, the choil is not rounded, but that's an easy fix.

Did the exact same thing!

Not sure if the same Toyama, but I have Ken Toyama nigiri-basami. Apparently there is an apprentice relationship going back several generations (Toyama's father was Shinichi's great grand father's apprentice), so perhaps that explains the resemblance (IIRC both from Sanjo too)?

180mm Kasumi Wakui Gyuto. Got it for an exceptional bargain at ~$100 USD shipped

USbmnY6.jpg

3S8s3SB.jpg

BSh3jc0.jpg

pxMzBUh.jpg

BfwYdbr.jpg

My 180mm Wakui came in today. Stainless clad white #2. Not a laser but performs very well. Used it to make 3 dishes for dinner tonight, finely minced a couple of onions, garlic, diced carrots, celery and zucchini. Slight patina already as you can see but core steel is pretty typical of white #2 which is not very reactive at all. The handle is ho wood with buffalo ferrule and large as mikedtran mentioned. I took a picture of it next to my 210 Gesshin Ginga for comparison. The spine is rounded all the way and choil is lightly rounded. Overall pretty good fit and finish but not at the same level as my Gesshin Ginga. I can't quite tell if the gap in handle is filled or not and may need to fill to prevent stuff from going inside.

For ~$100 shipped I don't know what more I can ask for.

Back