Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foray into 210s continues. New itinomonn StainLess 210 now has some competition in the form of a Gengetsu 210 semi-stainless.

What's that you say? Why two semi-stainless 210 mid weights??

A rhetorical question.

zyfxc.jpg

f3tbvo.jpg

1zqtx0x.jpg

Hamon is pretty nice on the 270, lookin forward to hearing your thoughts once you put it thru it's paces

yes, i guess the longer blade came with the longer hamon hehe.

For the spine comparison it goes left to right: Kurosaki R2 Western, Hiromoto 270 Honyaki, 240 Kato Original, 185 Hiromoto Honyaki

For the spine comparison it goes left to right: Kurosaki R2 Western, Hiromoto 270 Honyaki, 240 Kato Original, 185 Hiromoto Honyaki

Kato looks skinny as ****...when you say original I take it you're not speaking of the original Katos of Maxim's? They were beasts...

That hamon is ace. Prettier than the 240's

That hamon is ace. Prettier than the 240's

can you post a pic of your 240 with the hamon? it's hard to catch in most pics like salty's above. I find converting it to black and white and doing the lighting at an angle help show it more.

Kato looks skinny as ****...when you say original I take it you're not speaking of the original Katos of Maxim's? They were beasts...

yeah Kato's original specs LOL. it's quite beefy exiting the handle and gradually tapers down and especially so near the last 1/4 of the length. That pic is not to scale as you can see the 180mm seems comparable in length to the others. Tip wise (from the spine view), the 180 hiromoto is thinnest with the kato following and the 270 hiromoto pretty much the same and kurosaki with the thickest tip. Having said that, the kurosaki doesn't have issues doing the horizontal or vertical on an onion due to the thin grind on the tip.

can you post a pic of your 240 with the hamon? it's hard to catch in most pics like salty's above. I find converting it to black and white and doing the lighting at an angle help show it more.

Here are my best attempts:

bwft3Fs.jpg

Js2kzmkh.jpg

I should really take a bit if time to put the new purchases here. I'll try to do that today at some point

Here are my best attempts:

nice pics man! I think it's definitely due to the longer blade since the hamons seems to go only half way or so. I need to do pics in day time lighting as the light is holy in my kitchen LOL!

and yes, show us some of your other purchase, i have 1 more incoming hopefully dhl will get to me today :D, it's from maxim :D

Foray into 210s continues. New itinomonn StainLess 210 now has some competition in the form of a Gengetsu 210 semi-stainless.

What's that you say? Why two semi-stainless 210 mid weights??

A rhetorical question.

zyfxc.jpg

f3tbvo.jpg

1zqtx0x.jpg

Dang... I've been trying to resist the hype but the pics make Gengetsu more and more attractive. Nice looking pickup!

Really nice photos! :doublethumbsup:

The Hiromoto 270 looks sweet. Sometimes a 270 profile looks "wrong" to me due to the length, but this is pretty. Is it aogami 1 or 2? What do you think about it so far?

Really nice photos! :doublethumbsup:

The Hiromoto 270 looks sweet. Sometimes a 270 profile looks "wrong" to me due to the length, but this is pretty. Is it aogami 1 or 2? What do you think about it so far?

:D i like the profile as well because i know exactly what you mean by some looks wrong lol either they are too stubby or they just look too massive exceeding beyond 270 even though it's supposed to be 270. The hiromotos comes in white 2, haven't used it yet, came in yesterday and I wanna take more pics before i patina it all up :D, oob sharpness is ok and if takes sharpening like my shorter hiromoto then it should be able to take a pretty keen edge.

Not All of these are brand new purchases but they all entered my life in 2017.

I'm in the middle of a house move so have not had a chance to take decent pictures of the knives to post here, or even to use them yet.

So I will leave the reviews and my thoughts for after the move.

Anyway, here they are:

My first Kato. I finally understood what all the fuss was about when I got this. It made me desire a larger Kato more than any other knife.
The profile, the grind, the feel of the thing as it hit the board. I finally understood what everyone on the forum was raving about.

1lXNKGy.jpg

Xu7XXca.jpg

Big daddy Kato. The only way to describe what I felt when this finally arrived would be to say that "it shook me to the core". I don't have any other way to capture the emotion that I felt.

I'll have to caveat that these knives are yet to be used in anger, so take everything I'm saying with a pinch of salt. It's just initial impressions rather than practical advice.

o1Sx5oF.jpg

LMRY4P3.jpg

Beautiful Kato. I'm not a fan of damascus cladding. I'm sure I have mentioned it on the forum before - it just doesn't speak to me.

But there have been a handful of knives that I have really liked. This was one of them.

I won't lie about this one - it will more than likely be my drawer queen. I don't mind, I bought it to look at and marvel at it.

Then again, who knows, never say never.

(I must also apologise for my artistic attempts at taking good photos, all camera gear is packed up in boxes so the photos are all iPhone camera pics)

oCY8Nm8.jpg

jR6VTAQ.jpg

IIaYbPW.jpg

p0iQRcqg.jpg

IAIWsHr.jpg

Takeo Murata Blue#1 Funayuki. This is actually brand new, it arrived this morning.
It's something I have waned to buy for quite a while but somehow never got around to.
I wasn't expecting the world's prettiest knife and sure enough it isn't the world's prettiest knife.
But it is multiple times better than I was expecting and had seen from the photos.
Really the main point for me was that it was Blue#1, Murata san is a respectable blacksmith and it was very affordable.
Initial impressions have surpassed my expectations - the F&F is actually really decent for a KU/rustic knife. The handle is much better than it appears in the photos. It's light and I dare say, I think it actually has an 'S' grind.
I think it's worth doing a proper review of this as soon as I get a chance.

MipFqHbg.jpg

wCjG5zb.jpg

Choil, spine, Closeup of spine at the tip from above - in that order
kkWnxn6.jpg

owzcrB1g.jpg

dP8cesT.jpg

I posted a couple of shots of the Hiromoto to try and highlight the hamon. Here are a couple in color.

XYf9AQg.jpg

Z9is8mU.jpg

Thickness at handle comparison of the Hiromoto and big daddy Kato

p3hZp5M.jpg

Finally some family photos

0OySVgDg.jpg

nGFLb70.jpg

RFzSqRKg.jpg

Btw, the stone that appears in the photos is a Takashima Tomae which I sourced from Shinichi.

o la la beautiful photos and excellent stone! :Dlove that dammy kato! I couldn't get one (the 240) in time last time maxim had it cause i was checking out on the shig :D as that as my 2nd choice. The Hiromoto is a good part of the good with it being a western handle and goes well with the workhorseness of the katos (the non dammy) and the murata :D

I totally agree with the feeling of a largish kato in one's hands, feels like a sword haha!

here is one I found on my phone that shows off the hamon clearly.

IMG_20170215_111310_618 by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr

Your hamon is definitely prettier than my hamon [emoji6]

Dig the smaller Kato. Shame I never went for a standard 21cm model.

Dig the smaller Kato. Shame I never went for a standard 21cm model.

The smaller Kato is definitely brilliant, but I have to say when I hold the 240, it feels like I'm holding the Trident of Poseidon...

wait till someone sells you a workhorse 270 :D

Whoa haha, great minds think alike, just posted a WTB for this very thing not too long ago. Love my 240 WH but 270 is really my preferred length much of the time. And hey, nice haul Khashy, some lovely looking blades you got there. I tend to agree with you about damascus as well, but Kato's has always looked great.

zrkz_zpsw4cf5tnl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Found this hidden under Specials on JCK. Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Aogami Super Wa Series

This one has an ebony handle.

zrkz_zpsw4cf5tnl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Found this hidden under Specials on JCK. Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Aogami Super Wa Series

This one has an ebony handle.

more and more incoming eh salty! :D since it's made by sukenari it should share the same positive reviews as their dammy cladded series! :D can't wait to see your youtube video!!

Zeus' lightning bolt?

Would love to snap one up if one does show up in my lifetime

with great power comes great mass! those 270 WH were supposed to be close to 300 grams or something lol

Back