Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
270 Ikeda honyaki in Blue 1 and 240 Doi honyaki in blue 2.

Both knives are 55mm tall and 2.2 - 2.4mm on the spine at the handle. Took a while to get the custom size delivered but very excited.

Those look fantastic J!!!

my new marko is ready!! just waiting for arrival. so freaking excited, this is potentially a unicorn knife. 240x50 asymmetric (miz) grind 52100 honyaki 63HRC. the handle is not a marko original, but a stock one from a mizuno honyaki that anton generously donated for this project, thanks again toni boy.

marko_zpsz0hltb57.jpg~original

marko2_zps68yyzgck.jpg~original

marko3_zpse4j6ke52.jpg~original

my new marko is ready!! just waiting for arrival. so freaking excited, this is potentially a unicorn knife. 240x50 asymmetric (miz) grind 52100 honyaki 63HRC. the handle is not a marko original, but a stock one from a mizuno honyaki that anton generously donated for this project, thanks again toni boy.

So it's basically an upgraded mizuno :p really nice looking knife. Is there any Hamon? Does it cut? Can we have a choil shot and a haiku about its performance. :knife:

it's in the mail, i will be doing all of that once i get it and put it to the test. will put my own edge on it (aizu) first.

godslayer - my unicorn has been honyaki KS for the longest time. this is my alternative solution to that, but with his adaptation of miz grind cause i love that grind so this could be even better.
i call it yankee masa-zuno hybrid or triple M: M(arko)-M(asamoto)-M(izuno)?
there was a hamon after heat treatment, but it appears the finish hides it. i told marko i could give two sh*ts about hamon so just do his thing and not worry about having a squigly line being visible.
spine is around 50HRC

hrc - i'm not a stickler for finishes, but i do like how the horizontal soft polish looks.

i still want another miz honyaki but in custom length.

it's in the mail, i will be doing all of that once i get it and put it to the test. will put my own edge on it (aizu) first.

godslayer - my unicorn has been honyaki KS for the longest time. this is my alternative solution to that, but with his adaptation of miz grind cause i love that grind so this could be even better.
i call it yankee masa-zuno hybrid or triple M: M(arko)-M(asamoto)-M(izuno)?
there was a hamon after heat treatment, but it appears the finish hides it. i told marko i could give two sh*ts about hamon so just do his thing and not worry about having a squigly line being visible.
spine is around 50HRC

hrc - i'm not a stickler for finishes, but i do like how the horizontal soft polish looks.

i still want another miz honyaki but in custom length.

Nice knife Panda, I think you will be pretty impressed with Markos work, his 52100 is very nice, edge holding will be far superior to Mizuno or Mas, make sure to let us know your thoughts.

No more "honyaki to me means made by a japanese master, no exceptions

everything else is differentially hardened interpretation" ??

first of all the maker doesnt claim it to be honyaki (humbleness goes a long way) because this one cares more about the actual work and not hype or ego or capturing more business via marketing terms, i just add that on there cause 'differentially hardened' takes longer to type. butt hurt much?

Xerxes Custom Meatkiller 200 mm in TWR/folded rough iron & Kato 240 Standard, handle by Robin Dalman

32996880km.jpg

Dude, what a score. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when you put it to use!

Yikes that xerxes looks like an elongated honesuke.. what kind of taper/grind are we talking here!?! Like!

Profile was drawn by myself and Jannis very well followed the lines and measurements (works really good so far). The knife is stiff and has no flex at all. Tip is thin and pointy but not too fragile...

I let some pictures speak for themselves :D

32996915ov.jpg

32996916rk.jpg

32996911zk.jpg

32996902re.jpg

32996898yj.jpg

32996909dz.jpg

Profile was drawn by myself and Jannis very well followed the lines and measurements (works really good so far). The knife is stiff and has no flex at all. Tip is thin and pointy but not too fragile...

32996915ov.jpg

32996916rk.jpg

32996911zk.jpg

32996902re.jpg

32996898yj.jpg

32996909dz.jpg

That really does look like an elongated honesuki but I think its neat. Grinds and all look nice, great score.:thumbsup:
-Trey

That really does look like an elongated honesuki but I think its neat. Grinds and all look nice, great score.:thumbsup:
-Trey

Yeah, that was kind of the idea - a fusion between Honesuki and european style boning knife. For chickens I always reach for my honesuki, but for bigger meats, this works just great! :)

https://up.picr.de/32996915ov.jpg[/

[img]https://up.picr.de/32996916rk.jpg

32996911zk.jpg

32996902re.jpg

32996898yj.jpg

32996909dz.jpg

Thanks Iggy.. now I really like!

114mm Yoshikazu Ikeda petty knife in Blue #1 (sold as 120mm but as usual with those Sakai guys, that's measured from the handle so this is 114mm at the blade). I was looking for an alternative to our beater paring knives, and this is a little long for a parer, but I like the quasi-sheepsfoot profile:

Ikeda-114mm-Petty.jpg

This completes a trio of Y. Ikeda knives in Blue #1/suminigashi "Damascus" cladding that I have in heavy rotation -- 114mm petty, 190mm petty, and 165mm nakiri:

Ikeda-trio.jpg

Quick side note, Parraffin, how do you find the cladding (reactivity) for petty use?

Quick side note, Parraffin, how do you find the cladding (reactivity) for petty use?

It's very mild. I only use that knife for soft protein -- slicing chicken breast cutlets, skinning fish, thin-slicing pork or beef for stir fry. There's a little bit of patina on it, but what you see there is basically what it looks like after a quick rinse, wipe, and drying after slicing up some protein. Not very reactive at all.

114mm Yoshikazu Ikeda petty knife in Blue #1 (sold as 120mm but as usual with those Sakai guys, that's measured from the handle so this is 114mm at the blade). I was looking for an alternative to our beater paring knives, and this is a little long for a parer, but I like the quasi-sheepsfoot profile:

This completes a trio of Y. Ikeda knives in Blue #1/suminigashi "Damascus" cladding that I have in heavy rotation -- 114mm petty, 190mm petty, and 165mm nakiri:

Fantastic set! Ikeda is a maker I've had my eye on for some time. Congrats on rounding out your set!

Back