Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple recent new additions.
Shi.han wrought iron clad W2 180mm petty

BD95A1ED-1266-4653-9398-041AAC696DFA.jpeg

Yanick Puig 310mm suji

A5930D68-FE9C-44CE-8EDA-3E2F49EBB52A.jpeg

Raquin 225 x 45 mm wrought iron Meat Killer

0376F8CA-7DC3-4EBB-8B54-14381B0E58DA.jpeg

I’m a happy camper 😀

I recently purchased my first Carbon Steel Knife.

A Sakai Takayuki Homura Kogetsu By Itsuo Doi Gyuto 210mm. I wanted something a bit more western shaped and heavier in the feel, this fits the bill. Very happy with the fit and finish from out of the box and it will be amazing after I have it sharpened (I am still learning and do not own whetstones yet).

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Definitely nice knives! Also really good choice on that Ginsan petty, have one that forever stays in my block near the cutting board. It's infinitely useful and stainless so perfect for citrus and or other really acidic stuff :)
I love this one! Actually from a sheerly utility point of view I benefit from this buy even more than the gyuto at the moment.

Oh, yes! It has arrived. I cannot begin to tell how exited I am to get this knife. It was ordered about four months ago, got held and was returned by Japanese customs and has now finally made its way to Sweden via the hands of DHL.

Fit and finish is about what I expected. The handle is actually quite smooth, without any significant gaps or sharp edges. The blade is definitely a bit rough around the edges and just screams handmade. Then there’s that something special. It just feels different to hold than anything else I’ve used. It could be a combination of weight and balance point that does it, I don’t know. It feels special, in a very good kind of way. One thing is certain though, it does look like it could do with a pretty thorough thinning (sorry about the lousy choil shot).
A1A81647-6961-4AAC-86C5-91C6DDCD6CC1.jpeg

9C9467F4-981D-42F7-B14E-657E4D59D5FE.jpeg

D40E027C-EC17-4465-8D98-C9B043E8555F.jpeg

Sunnecko 5 inch petty, what's with the edge though? Out of the box the knife shaves arm hair no problem. I've tried the Murray Carter Three Finger test, feels absolutely blunt, fingers moved down blade with pressure not scary, even with high pressure. How can it shave but feel so dull?
Does anyone know what the edge angle looks like as I'm thinking of getting the DMT fixed angle as my whetstone ability is in need of improving.

Arm hair shaving can vary depending on each individual's arm hair; some people have hair that's harder or easier to shave than other's.

Also, there's a difference in shaving between "scraping" hair off the skin versus "tree-topping". Crazy sharp means you could possibly "tree-top" hair, basically cut it free hanging. Look for videos where somebody holds a hair hanging over the edge of a knife and cuts it with the weight of the hair alone.

The very apex of your knife is possibly not that narrow but narrow enough (and possibly irregular enough that it grabs) to "scrape-shave" your arm hair. But it is not narrow enough to feel sharp with the "three finger test".

Check out the Science of Sharp blog website for some pics and interesting reading. Maybe these are applicable:
https://scienceofsharp.com/2015/03/24/sharp-and-keen-part-2/https://scienceofsharp.com/2016/04/14/simple-straight-razor-honing/
At 60 HRc you can probably sharpen around the edge between 10-15° per side and be fine. I sharpen freehand on stones and have no idea what my exact angles are tho.

I recently purchased my first Carbon Steel Knife.

A Sakai Takayuki Homura Kogetsu By Itsuo Doi Gyuto 210mm. I wanted something a bit more western shaped and heavier in the feel, this fits the bill. Very happy with the fit and finish from out of the box and it will be amazing after I have it sharpened (I am still learning and do not own whetstones yet).
Can you say more about this knife - I looked at it this week, but the 240 mm. At this price range, it had better be good and it faces so many incredible alternatives - do let us know your experience, performance, and feel

Just arrived from KnifeWear 240mm Kasumi Gyuto. My picture taking skills need a lot of improvement but you get the idea. It's a Shigefusa and weigh about 210+ grams. It also came with a pretty nice Black Walnut Saya.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9466 3.JPG
    IMG_9466 3.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4672.JPG
    IMG_4672.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Behold, the unicorn! The rarest of the rare - congrats on a great knife! I have the accessible Shig KU Santuko, and I can only imagine the quality of the Kasumi - very reactive

Behold, the unicorn! The rarest of the rare - congrats on a great knife! I have the accessible Shig KU Santuko, and I can only imagine the quality of the Kasumi - very reactive

I bought a KU Santuko from JNS last year and this knife is just a better grind since I don't appreciate the Santuko shape as much as a gyuto. I will use both but I will eventualy pass the Santuko on to one of my children or grandchildren soon, (eventually the'll get everything). They talked about the Kato Workhorse and the Konosuke Fujiyama being so reactive but perhaps that I'm living in California I just don't see it.

Last edited:
I bought a KU Santuko from JNS last year and this knife is just a better grind since I don't appreciate the Santuko shape as much as a gyuto. I will us both but I will pass the Santuko on to one of my children or grandchildren soon, (eventually the'll get everything). They talked about the Kato Workhorse and the Konosuke Fujiyama being so reactive but perhaps that I'm living in California I just don't see it.

I have the Shig Santuko and Nakiri in KU. I have to say, I have a 190 mm Santuko KU SS by Heiji - that knife is something else. Heiji Gyuto is a whole new level altogether. Toyoma and Heiji are my two surrogates for Shig and Kato - as I can’t get Shig and Kato - these are the next Best I think

I have the Shig Santuko and Nakiri in KU. I have to say, I have a 190 mm Santuko KU SS by Heiji - that knife is something else. Heiji Gyuto is a whole new level altogether. Toyoma and Heiji are my two surrogates for Shig and Kato - as I can’t get Shig and Kato - these are the next Best I think
I have the Watanabe Pro KU 180mm Nakiri that I think is an absolute fantastic veggie chopper, heck I bought a second one for my vegan granddaughter and she loves it.

I have the Watanabe Pro KU 180mm Nakiri that I think is an absolute fantastic veggie chopper, heck I bought a second one for my vegan granddaughter and she loves it.
Great minds do think alike - I just got a 210mm Watanabe Pro Nakiri too and it is an amazing beast. Look at the picture of the beauty and beast in one - 307 gms
7E4DA98F-A9CB-4843-A04A-145EBFF9BD6C.jpeg
146E08F2-52A6-40CE-B35C-C14CF892CD44.jpeg
2765CDA8-92C3-4A51-8DEC-95AE06F8144E.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1135.JPG
    IMG_1135.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9751 4.jpg
    IMG_9751 4.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 26
Back