Quantcast

Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

mack

Reaction score
Yeah...Shigefusa knives are getting harder and harder to locate these days, especially after Tokifusa Iizuka san retired 2, 3 years ago, now is just his two sons doing all the work, and they don’t do much Kitaeji.

Here are shigs that I collected over the years. View attachment 84690
Oh my... great collection!

Mack.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
Yeah...Shigefusa knives are getting harder and harder to locate these days, especially after Tokifusa Iizuka san retired 2, 3 years ago, now is just his two sons doing all the work, and they don’t do much Kitaeji.

Zweber's Taiwanese Canadian cousin (TopGear reference :LOL:)

Runner_up

Reaction score
Hi!

I finally was able to purchase my dream knife, a 240mm Shigefusa Yo-Kitaeji Gyuto and all I can say is that I am very very happy at the moment.

The knife wasn't usable out of the box, the edge was sharpend down to zero.

I had to use my bogdan to put a microbevel on it.

It took me 2 minutes (5/2/1 strokes on each side with Naniwa Professional 5K, 4/1 with Naniwa Sharpening Stone 12K) and it looked that way:

So now it is ready for the first cuts!

Best,
Mack

Definitely my grail knife.. If you ever want to sell... 😉

milkbaby

Well-Known Doofus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I finally was able to purchase my dream knife, a 240mm Shigefusa Yo-Kitaeji Gyuto and all I can say is that I am very very happy at the moment.

The knife wasn't usable out of the box, the edge was sharpend down to zero.

I had to use my bogdan to put a microbevel on it.

It took me 2 minutes (5/2/1 strokes on each side with Naniwa Professional 5K, 4/1 with Naniwa Sharpening Stone 12K) and it looked that way:

So now it is ready for the first cuts!

Best,
Mack
Congrats! A Shigefusa yo kitaeji gyuto is probably the only Japanese knife that I would consider breaking my knife buying hiatus over nowadays since I'm not into collecting anymore. Beautiful knife and nice job putting an edge back on that. :goodjob:

Gregmega

Reaction score
Had a look at CB website, third knife from the left looks good, a 240 Western. Would I like to give it a try? Probably! Would I purchase this knife for 700+$? No. But tastes and preferences (for technical aspects, or even brand or maker preferences) are so different and highly subjective. I’d participate in a PA though!
Yeah, tbh I’ve never even seen the site. As a matter of fact I’d never even heard of them until that moment, so I had no idea of the price. I do know that I really liked what I saw tho. It was a western gyuto 240ish, dark wood, it just felt great and looked like a fun all-arounder. Mind you- people (myself included) purchased Jiro sight unseen for more.

Receiver52

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m in for at least 15k in just the last year. So I feel you. Said I was gonna gonna pump the brakes But these weird things called honyaki started popping up.

I hear you. Bought 2 in the last 3 weeks. A Togashi Blue 1 and a Shiraki W2 which I don’t have yet. Gotta figure out where that brake pedal is.

cotedupy

Reaction score
A couple of new ones from some friends in London who seem to have a good reputation here: Blenheim Forge Nakiri and Stainless-clad Petty, to go with our Funayuki.

I've actually bought (or swapped stuff for) a few Pettys from them over the years, as gifts for friends, but this is the first one I've got for me.

Attachments

Helmore

Reaction score
I like the looks of that Nakri. With Damascus cladding they often tend towards more elegant looks, but this looks very raw in a sense. I'm very new to the knife world, so this is the first time I've seen something like it.

How do they perform and what's the fit and finish like? I've seen the brand in shops online, but I haven't read much about them and I'm curious what people think of them.

ynot1985

Reaction score

Good to see you are still here.
Schanop mentioned about you a long time ago. Beautiful collection

cotedupy

Reaction score
I probably don't have the most objective opinion here, as I know them and they're just down the road from where I'm from, nor would I have much experience in terms of comparisons. So would also be interested to see others' opinions...

But fwiw- they're happily the best performing knives I own. & the f&f is stunning, that picture probably doesn't do them justice. Straight out the box the Nakiri is insanely sharp, the petty I may give a couple of strokes on a fine stone.

j22582536

Reaction score
Good to see you are still here.
Schanop mentioned about you a long time ago. Beautiful collection
Yeah...have been a bit busy for the past few years so I didn’t really have time to expand and play with my collection and interact on the forum. Things got better these days and I finally have some spare time for my hobbies again :cool:

Honerabi

Reaction score
Was heavy into the western style knives. Over the past few years have bought Shun Classic, Kaji, and the Zwilling Bob Cramers. Just acquired my first "specialty" Japanese knife. Partial to full tang, bone handles. Now looking for a Deba for cutting fish. You guys corrupted me.

Takeshi Saji Blue Steel #2 Damascus Gyuto, 240mm

Attachments