Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
insane knifes =) congratz !

suji significantly longer than gyuto

its knifes from different parties,
what you think about finish ?
the same quality ?

Not new, but new to me:
I finally scored a Martel Gyuto: one had been on my list for awhile, but there was an offer I couldn't refuse on the BST. After spending a couple days with it, I have no idea how / why I waited so long. Such an amazing knife and, oh yeah, 01 takes a pretty nice patina...

Lucid%209-21-12%20bike%20tour-1.JPG

More pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/117600618285187025883/MartelGyutoPatina?authkey=Gv1sRgCI-_nbu2msTMZA

Justin, I just have to say that I love what you've done with that knife!!!! :hoot:

insane knifes =) congratz !

suji significantly longer than gyuto

its knifes from different parties,
what you think about finish ?
the same quality ?

they are the same length, its just the angle of the photo ( if anything the gyuto is 1 or 2 mm longer) i don't know if they are made by different "parties" they seem the same to me, same quality, nicely rounded spine, rough choil, only difference is the handle and the Kanji on the suji is only on one side.

I think gentlecook meant that the knives are different blade styles but how is the cutting performance, is it matching on both...

:)

The sujihiki is much more delicate, it's very thin behind the edge. There is no flex in the blade but it feels closer to a laser. But it cuts really nice, I'd be very careful of bones, and would avoid hard Vegies.... But it's a suji so for slicing and trimming of proteins it's a winner!

Here's a Yamawaku 210 Gyuto in blue #2 steel. It's a very nice knife the handle is "burnt chestnut" whatever that means, but it has good grip. The blade is nice - a little chunkier feeling than my Tanaka blue #2 @ 240mm. Takes a wicked nice edge and keeps it.

GEDC0561.jpg

Where did you pick up that Yamawaku?

By the handle! BaDOOMP! :tease:

Burnt chestnut - seems to be one of the options coming from Japan and is supposed to have a bit more weight to it than ho, which can add balance, and keeps a good grip when wet. Burnt chestnut means burnt chestnut wood, I presume. I'd like to try one.

Here is my latest and greatest.
cw0dn.jpg

iMHqv.jpg

GREAT INDEED!!
That's the first one sold and in public hands too isn't it? Great score and I don't think I've ever seen square look more hip. How's the new convex grind work out in cutting performance? Do you have a Martel gyuto to compare to?

Yes this is the first one he has made and sold to someone. Unfortunately, I don't have a Martell guyto to compare it to...yet :groucho:

The knife is a great cutter. I've been doing my best to put it through its paces. It glides through dense or soft produce with minimum food sticking to the blade. I've also had no issue with food turning black or it being too reactive. I'm starting to develop some patina on it and I imagine the performance will get better over time.

I think it looks fantastic. Dave's nakiri might well be the only western-handled nakiri I'm gonna want :)

Yes, it is nice. Len I think you only have 4 or 5 nakiris now. Surely that is not enough?

Well if you're going to remind me to be responsible then I suppose I've got enough nakiri at the moment :)

Where did you pick up that Yamawaku Mike?

I got from 330mate on fleebay. The whole shipping thing was a bit of a clusterf#ck, but it got resolved. The spine is chunky @ 3/16 but it doesn't wedge. I'm doing a re-handle of a Tojiro ITK Gyuto and will probably do one to this. It deserves a better handle than this one.

Well if you're going to remind me to be responsible then I suppose I've got enough nakiri at the moment :)

I'd say nothing's stopping you from getting a good half a dozen, Len. You can use one for each separate vegetable in a meal, and probably be sorted for most of your home cookin', unless you go vegetarian.

It is a nice western, though.

Lefty,

That used to be my knife. Nice photos. It was an awesome handle.... I hope you enjoy it.

-Chuck

Finally got a handle put on my MT practice knife thanks to a good friend who is quite the woodworker--I think it is pretty good for his second knife handle. Wood is from Mark--part of the big redwood door and Indonesian striped ebony ferrule.

PA110592.jpg

PA110591.jpg

Jim, beautiful knife AND handle!

K, it's actually a Roselli that had its grind changed up by Fish. Pretty unique, I'd say!

finally i bought a santoku knife.. i choose Fujiwara FKM series Santoku knife 180mm.. I hope it is worth the money...

Nice Fujiwara! That's my favourite santoku profile around. Nice fit and finish, too. You should be happy with it :)

Back