Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I chatted with him early this year, it seems 52100 was still the only choice. I actually wanted a stainless Kip at the time but went with 52100. Would love a fishhook in stainless, that would be my one knife to rule them all.
I felt the same about the fish hook in stainless but I figured it would never happen. I went with the B Grind from Bidinger and absolutely no regrets, I don’t feel like I need that fish hook anymore. Still would be cool to have tho

Yeah, I don’t get why vendors skimp on packaging either.
BTW, I just received a package from Modern Cooking. Probably the best packaging job I’ve seen. Bombproof (thanks Peter!).

-Dwight
It’s so frustrating that a cardboard saya or some sort of edge guard would be nearly free and save hundreds of dollars of waste. Even if they make you whole, it is indeed such a tremendous waste

Yeah, I don’t get why vendors skimp on packaging either.
BTW, I just received a package from Modern Cooking. Probably the best packaging job I’ve seen. Bombproof (thanks Peter!).

-Dwight

I'm sure its a business decision.

My company spends close to $75K on packaging per year. I imagine, the $$$ savings in packaging outweighs the RMA costs or business loss due to issues surrounding packaging.

I'm sure its a business decision.

My company spends close to $75K on packaging per year. I imagine, the $$$ savings in packaging outweighs the RMA costs or business loss due to issues surrounding packaging.
I don't think it's the case here. These knife stores are very small businesses and small businesses are not always well run (large businesses either really). 75k is probably closer to their annual profits than their packaging costs. Folding over a piece of cardboard and taping it costs very little and takes very little time. The cost of this RMA is at least 100 bucks and other stores definitely do bother to package stuff correctly.

I don't think it's the case here. These knife stores are very small businesses and small businesses are not always well run (large businesses either really). 75k is probably closer to their annual profits than their packaging costs. Folding over a piece of cardboard and taping it costs very little and takes very little time. The cost of this RMA is at least 100 bucks and other stores definitely do bother to package stuff correctly.

To your point, if they arent spending NEAR as much in packaging, you could imagine that additional packaging makes a bigger % of profit.

Or you have to think of the cost of a plastic tip guard is maybe $.10 at most

Yes $.10 for the physical part. Is that plastic tip $.10 if you buy 1? or if you buy 200,000 of them.

Someone has to buy that plastic tip guard, stock it. make sure the tip they buy fits all of the knives that they offer.

Does installing this plastic tip cause safety concerns or first aid costs?

A small business honestly doesn't think about stuff like this. My point was a business that spends 75k in packaging alone is gonna be much more intentional about things they do. A knife store like this is pretty much a mom-and-pop and many of them have no clue what they're doing.
I just looked at aliexpress and the first listing is 50 cents for 100 tip guards with 2.50 shipping. Even at the expensive end, it's a few cents per piece. Shipping is dirt cheap, there's not a significant minimum order. It's just pure laziness

A small business honestly doesn't think about stuff like this. My point was a business that spends 75k in packaging alone is gonna be much more intentional about things they do. A knife store like this is pretty much a mom-and-pop and many of them have no clue what they're doing.
I just looked at aliexpress and the first listing is 50 cents for 100 tip guards with 2.50 shipping. Even at the expensive end, it's a few cents per piece. Shipping is dirt cheap, there's not a significant minimum order. It's just pure laziness

I totally see your point. Though i would argue, that a small business owner SHOULD be thinking about this.

I am just saying supply chain is more difficult than this. If a business creates a precedent that all knives will have plastic tips, then someone has to spend their time making sure that it is always available, and on hand. The physical cost of the thing, does not necessarily translate to making business sense.

Obviously as a knife enthusiast at this forum, I think it is inexcusable for a product to come damaged, but from a procurement point of view, and a COGS view i do understanding that sometimes it is more cost effective for a customer to end up unhappy, and not repeat business than to put in place a "fix" that will not cause an issue to happen again.

I would ask how many knives to they sell a year, and how many people complain about broken tips. There is always a cost/benefit

I totally see your point. Though i would argue, that a small business owner SHOULD be thinking about this.

I am just saying supply chain is more difficult than this. If a business creates a precedent that all knives will have plastic tips, then someone has to spend their time making sure that it is always available, and on hand. The physical cost of the thing, does not necessarily translate to making business sense.

Obviously as a knife enthusiast at this forum, I think it is inexcusable for a product to come damaged, but from a procurement point of view, and a COGS view i do understanding that sometimes it is more cost effective for a customer to end up unhappy, and not repeat business than to put in place a "fix" that will not cause an issue to happen again.

I would ask how many knives to they sell a year, and how many people complain about broken tips. There is always a cost/benefit
Yeah, that's my frustration. I would guess though the issue is they aren't thinking about it and probably blaming couriers, because most of the longer time vendors that people recommend do package things adequately (although indeed some breakage is inevitable). Plus, the damage to reputation for a niche hobby like this is huge.

I once received 2 knives in this state from a fairly well known store. I'd def not buy from them again. :\

1666916898274.png

NKD. This one has been on my bucket list for quite a long time. It's special in every way. Akitomo isn't working anymore. Kobuse (one way Samurai swords have/are been made) is similar to Honyaki (core and cladding steel are the same, just different hardness), results in a quite heavy work horse knife with a beautiful hamon and cool kurouchi finish.
Yoshihiko Akitomo Kobuse Gyuto 240mm Shirogami#2
296g (Kato WH 230g)

P1050769.jpg

P1050772.jpg

P1050775.jpg

P1050778.jpg

P1050779.jpg

Last edited:
NKD. This one has been on my bucket list for quite a long time. It's special in every way. Akitomo isn't working anymore. Kobuse (one way Samurai swords have/are been made) is similar to Honyaki (core and cladding steel are the same, just different hardness), results in a quite heavy work horse knife with a beautiful hamon and cool kurouchi finish.
296g (Kato WH 230g)

View attachment 205624
View attachment 205625
View attachment 205626
Looks stunning 🤩. Anyway we could see a spine and choil picture?

Reactions: SWF
296g (Kato WH 230g)

View attachment 205624
View attachment 205625
View attachment 205626
I got one of these this summer. I thought it was some kind of reverse warikomi with the hard steel outside and the soft steel inside?
It's massive maybe a little big in my taste but cuts very well.

Reactions: SWF
I got one of these this summer. I thought it was some kind of reverse warikomi with the hard steel outside and the soft steel inside?
It's massive maybe a little big in my taste but cuts very well.
Congratulation :)

Yes, the softer steel is wrapped with harder steel, but it's the same steel in this case. Instead of Tamahagne Akitomo used Hitachi Yasugi Steel White Paper Nr. 2. As far as I know Akitomo was the first blacksmith using this Katana forging process on kitchen and hunting knives.

I picked this up yesterday from Bridgetown Forge in Portland, OR. Stainless clad blue #1 at about 62hrc. This has the most unique grind I have seen. Very thick and convex at the heal to more of a full flat grind ridiculously thin tip. All hand done in house. I haven't used it yet as I am doing a pass around test on another knife but it is really cool. It's about 6mm out of the handle to about 1mm before the k-tip. The choil shot is atrocious but it's only like that for about .5 then it thins really quickly

Attachments

• PXL_20221029_212341951.jpg
    PXL_20221029_212341951.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221029_212436866.jpg
    PXL_20221029_212436866.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221029_212442932.jpg
    PXL_20221029_212442932.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221029_212454068.jpg
    PXL_20221029_212454068.jpg