Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some heavy hitters in the form of my first raquin and a 1/2 wrought iron tetsujin. Besides these coming in and buying a ton of pocket knives this weekend, check B/S/T in the coming days for some grails from me that I have to let go.

20221025_153015.jpg

20221025_153026.jpg

20221025_153040.jpg

Another victim of poor packaging. Honestly, that pi*ses me off!
It was shipped in no box besides the hado box, just a bubble mailer. There was bubble wrap surrounding the package as well, but none around the blade. Honestly, if you are shipping from Australia, it would probably be a good idea to do one or the other, or both. The knife is ground omega thin, so of course something like this is pretty easy to happen.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt though as long as they make it right somehow. Don't want to poopoo on them yet, will wait to see how they can help out.

My knife arrived yesterday. I opened a box and the inside was stuffed with newsprint. In the middle was a knife box which when opened has my knife in it, the blade covered by bubble rap and I think it was also in a folded cardboard sheath.

Honestly, the Japanese newsprint was the best part. Also the Japanese bandana that he shipped with it. I have no place to store the blade. Should have paid for the sheath.

381AE25D-A84B-4B8E-BB40-8D19F3FBBDC8.jpeg

One of the pre-eminent knife makers today has to be Benjamin Kamon. I have owned several of Ben’s knives and have always been amazed at what wonderful pure performers they are. The near ultimate in utility. When the chance came to acquire a S grind fish hook blade from Ben, I jumped at the chance even though it cost me a premiere Rader brut de forge, from my collection. My object was to hold a head to head slap down with a couple of other makers knives which offer legendary food release. The slap down would be the subject of a new post from me into the famous “Naughty Schoolboy” thread. Potato’s beware!

I still haven’t managed to acquire the third knife for the slap down (a Bidinger B grind … hint hint to all), so the big event remains postponed. I have actually used the new Kamon quite a bit and actually decided to add poorly shot videos to my repertoire. So here it is … a “New Knives” post on my new…ish Kamon.

Details first.

The Gyuto is forged from 1.2519 steel, monosteel construction. The handle is Ben’s “coke bottle” shaped from bog oak with carbon fibre end caps. The knife features a S/Hook grind … designed to offer amazing food release. Remaining specs are:

Blade length … 249mm
Edge length … 253mm
Depth at heel … 56mm
Thickness measured at spine … 4.96mm at heel, 2.47mm mid blade, 0.70mm 1” from tip
Weight … 220gms

A few more pics …

D266F597-AFFA-4988-9C10-52F31AA7B98A.jpeg
7F1DC3F6-2683-4D09-AB41-58179F0F0C4C.jpeg
A4FCB621-F6C0-467E-B4AD-472F867C03F7.jpeg
EBEDD4CD-F7B2-4F44-BC54-E2C47B6765F3.jpeg
D3410909-4D10-4278-B4C8-D4ED07AFC82A.jpeg
A6F6BF82-B039-4F9F-87E0-1125F2F89C6F.jpeg
B0292FFF-5559-4D7B-AC1A-AFDBEE522B01.jpeg
3EFB3D88-D159-4330-94BF-AF6DC52893C8.jpeg

Of course I can’t give away the object of this exercise … the great potato Slapdown against two other legendary release performers. That’s held for an upcoming post to the Naughty Schoolboy thread once I’ve acquired the elusive B grind. To compensate I offer a KKF first for me … a poorly shot video of the Kamon dealing with a chubby Asian sweet carrot. If anything is going to “wedge” the Kamon, here it is.

Not a trace of wedging … a definite “sushi grade” carrot chopper. You’re amazing Ben!

img_2240-jpg.205262
IMG_2240.JPG

Heiji Semi-Stainless 240mm Gyuto. The Iwasaki carbon brother was tipped badly in transit since the sender did not include any edge protection and I'm currently waiting to hear back from them. I guess it's an unlucky week for new knives :(?

First impressions: heat treat seems great (need to use it some more) and the chestnut handle is surprisingly high quality. There is plenty of wabi-sabi throughout (e.g. choil needs rounding, spine has a burr, shinogi - if that's the right term - is a bit jacked up on the other side with a "mountain" at the end of a nice curve) but overall great value for the money thus far.

Last edited:
Damn, that’s such an easily avoidable issue. What a terrible waste 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

To be honest, if your knife costs over $500 it should come in it’s own kiri box.

These vendors double the price and just don’t give proper value and respect 😞

Was really looking forward to getting this hado blue 1 dama from chefs edge, but arrived with a pretty bad bent and chipped tip :( hopefully they have good CS and can help out somehow.

View attachment 205207

View attachment 205206

Damn, that’s such an easily avoidable issue. What a terrible waste 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

To be honest, if your knife costs over $500 it should come in it’s own kiri box.

These vendors double the price and just don’t give proper value and respect 😞
Yeah I know there is a huge margin on these guys. A kiri box is really cheap. But nope, tip went byebye. Now I'll have to grind it down which sucks when the edge length is already only 200mm. Not sure I'm skilled enough to bend it back, I don't want to snap anything since it's so thin...might just have to grind on stones.

Good news though another new knife day! I missed my first muteki I had years ago so I'm glad I got this new one in. Picked it up from home butcher as they have a crazy good coupon going on right now (25 or 30% off). This is from Taylor shields, love the profile and the handle.

Trying to turn a negative into a positive. Most retailers I have bought from have been stellar. Phil at home butcher always gives good coupon codes, he shipped 20 minutes after I bought it with free FedEx 2 day, and was packaged well.

20221026_154146.jpg

20221026_154159.jpg

Trying to turn a negative into a positive. Most retailers I have bought from have been stellar. Phil at home butcher always gives good coupon codes, he shipped 20 minutes after I bought it with free FedEx 2 day, and was packaged well.

+1 on props for Phil. My experience follows yours. Phil’s a great guy to talk to and deal with. Prices have been reasonable, packed perfectly and shipped quickly. One of the few dealers for Murray Carter and the Muteki smiths.

+1 on props for Phil. My experience follows yours. Phil’s a great guy to talk to and deal with. Prices have been reasonable, packed perfectly and shipped quickly. One of the few dealers for Murray Carter and the Muteki smiths.
I feel like muteki are slept on over here. The grind is so nice and the heat treat so good. Feels harder than most of my white 1's from Japanese smiths. Honestly at full price...I'm not rushing out to buy one probably, but give me 20% off and I'm all over it.

Sad they would sent it like that, most of my experience with other vendors has been good, JKI, Migoto, CKC, Miura all send their stuff in very well protected boxes. Migoto actually put some soft paper in front of the tip to protect it.

I feel like muteki are slept on over here.

I agree completely. Like him or not I feel that Murray Carter has had a strong influence on many makers. The Muteki smiths generally exhibit that influence. Of course I’m a flat out lover of the work of Alex Horn. Note that two of Horns knives are currently for sale at District Cutlery. In total I have about fifteen knives in my collection from Murray and the Muteki smiths. I doubt that I’ll ever put one on the market … they are that special.

Back when Alex Horn was leaving Muteki to branch out on his own, I missed three knives … some of the last he made as a Muteki smith. Guess where I found them … at District Cutlery. Phil made me a fair deal for them and I have shared many bottles of wine with them over many evenings.

Here is a pic …

04AE3D8C-C741-4CD3-A080-81259F79ADFE.jpeg

I agree completely. Like him or not I feel that Murray Carter has had a strong influence on many makers. The Muteki smiths generally exhibit that influence. Of course I’m a flat out lover of the work of Alex Horn. Note that two of Horns knives are currently for sale at District Cutlery. In total I have about fifteen knives in my collection from Murray and the Muteki smiths. I doubt that I’ll ever put one on the market … they are that special.

Back when Alex Horn was leaving Muteki to branch out on his own, I missed three knives … some of the last he made as a Muteki smith. Guess where I found them … at District Cutlery. Phil made me a fair deal for them and I have shared many bottles of wine with them over many evenings.

Here is a pic …

View attachment 205281

You and @Hockey3081 actually inspired me to get on Alex’s list a couple weeks ago. 6 months out since he’s moving shop, but very much looking forward to it.

You and @Hockey3081 actually inspired me to get on Alex’s list a couple weeks ago. 6 months out since he’s moving shop, but very much looking forward to it.

There are two sources that you might consider to snag on of Alex’s knives. The first is the two knives currently posted at District Cutlery. They are both very nice. The second source for one of his knives is the upcoming Damasteel 2022 DCI. I expect he will be selling several at the DCI. I picked up two of his knives at the 2021 DCI. I love both of them.

You also might want to check his website. I love his Cruforge V knives.
There are two sources that you might consider to snag on of Alex’s knives. The first is the two knives currently posted at District Cutlery. They are both very nice. The second source for one of his knives is the upcoming Damasteel 2022 DCI. I expect he will be selling several at the DCI. I picked up two of his knives at the 2021 DCI. I love both of them.

Latest posts

Back