Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking hard about it when I saw it on Tetogi, but can’t find any reviews anywhere. Have you actually tried the knife? If so, how does it compare to your other ginsan?
I’ve only used my fully mirror polished once. Not a laser cut but it gives me that some what workhorse feel. Doesn’t feel brittle like the Kikuchiyo x Izo. If want a better performing Ginsan then I suggest to get the Kikuchiyo x Kyuzo. The Rou doesn’t really get really as thin as the others maybe because of it’s finish.

I’ve only used my fully mirror polished once. Not a laser cut but it gives me that some what workhorse feel. Doesn’t feel brittle like the Kikuchiyo x Izo. If want a better performing Ginsan then I suggest to get the Kikuchiyo x Kyuzo. The Rou doesn’t really get really as thin as the others maybe because of its finish.
Is Kikuchiyo x Kyuzo your best performing ginsan? I recently got a Hado and three Takadas in ginsan. Started to really like ginsan. I’m now basically looking for the best ginsan to try regardless of price.

Is Kikuchiyo x Kyuzo your best performing ginsan? I recently got a Hado and three Takadas in ginsan. Started to really like ginsan. I’m now basically looking for the best ginsan to try regardless of price.
This is how I would rank my Ginsan’s. This will change in due time. I have 2 more Ginsan’s coming maybe tomorrow but for now this is the ranks for me.

1. Hitohira Kikuchiyo x Kyuzo/Kagekiyo Ginsan Wide bevel
2. Kikuchiyo x Ren
3. Kagekiyo Ginsan (myojin)
4. Hado Ginsan
5. Kikuchiyo x Izo/Kagekiyo Ginsan Dam
6. Sakai Kikumori Nakagawa Ginsan
7. Sakai Kikumori Choyo Ginsan(this would be higher if it was taller)

As for the kikuchiyo x rou I need more playing time with it. I have yet to use my Kikuchiyo x Rou Mirror polish (Not the Fully Mirror)

As for the Nigara Ginsan Kurozome…I enjoyed using it at work this past few days. The only problem im having is that the knife tend to get wedged its because probably of the etching and needs to be broken in but other than that it’s a good knife. It’s something different comparing it to my other Ginsan. Workhorse feels but cuts really good.

Last edited:
This is how I would rank my Ginsan’s. This will change in due time. I have 2 more Ginsan’s coming maybe tomorrow but for now this is the ranks for me.

1. Hitohira Kikuchiyo x Kyuzo/Kagekiyo Ginsan Wide bevel
2. Kikuchiyo x Ren
3. Kagekiyo Ginsan (myojin)
4. Kikuchiyo x Izo/Kagekiyo Ginsan Dam
5. Sakai Kikumori Nakagawa Ginsan
6. Sakai Kikumori Choyo Ginsan(this would be higher if it was taller)

As for the kikuchiyo x rou I need more playing time with it. I have yet to use my Kikuchiyo x Rou Mirror polish (Not the Fully Mirror)

As for the Nigara Ginsan Kurozome…I enjoyed using it at work this past few days. The only problem im having is that the knife tend to get wedged its because probably of the etching and needs to be broken in but other than that it’s a good knife. It’s something different comparing it to my other Ginsan. Workhorse feels but cuts really good.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Just ordered Kikuchiyo x Kyuzo. Interesting the kyuzo outperform much more expensive knifes. Not surprised though as I like my tanaka x kyuzo blue 1 very much. What new knifes did you get?

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Just ordered Kikuchiyo x Kyuzo. Interesting the kyuzo outperform much more expensive knifes. Not surprised though as I like my tanaka x kyuzo blue 1 very much. What new knifes did you get?
I didn’t want to say it but nevermind. I have a Tadokoro Ginsan and Takada No Hamono Ginsan coming. Oh I edited the list up top by the way because I forgot about my Hado Ginsan. For a cheaper price with almost the same performance with Kyuzo, you should look into Kagekiyo Ginsan Wide bevel.

Last edited:
I didn’t want to say it but nevermind. I have a Tadokoro Ginsan and Takada No Hamono Ginsan coming. Oh I edited the list up top by the way because I forgot about my Hado Ginsan. For a cheaper price with almost the same performance with Kyuzo, you should look into Kagekiyo Ginsan Wide bevel.
My money is on the Takada no Hamono (Nakagawa) to crash that ranking👌🏼👍🏼

Here’s my newest purchase. Nigara Hamono AS 240mm. I love that the cladding is starting to get a patina, and how the actual clad line isn’t. It gives almost a holographic appearance when you roll the knife in the light.

Attachments

• IMG_4188.jpeg
    IMG_4188.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4189.jpeg
    IMG_4189.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4190.jpeg
    IMG_4190.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4198.jpeg
    IMG_4198.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4199.jpeg
    IMG_4199.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4205.mov
    39.2 MB
260 HardentKnives gyuto. Thickest knife out of the handle that I own but tapers into a very thin tip. Only diced an onion with it but it feels like a heck of a lot of knife for the money!

View attachment 281693View attachment 281694
I really want to try his work soon. Great style and from what I’ve seen and heard… great performers too.

Thanks again. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Takada. As I mentioned, I recently bought three Takadas in ginsan - one suiboku, one kasumi and one HH all in ginsan…the HH and suiboku definitely cut better than the Hado I have…

Cool shape, whats the part at the top of the front supposed to be used for?

Trapping your enemy’s sword in battle, or breaking their bones if they’re armored?

eta: Sorry for the ribbing @latetotheparty - we’re just kidding around. Congrats on graduating and gratz on the new cleaver.

Last edited:
bought this cleaver after seeing your post lol. one question for you - is the finish hard to clean? does food get stuck in the little holes?
Not really, the holes are pretty smooth and not like a 90* with sharp points so food doesn’t really get in there, if it does it will be gone with a quick rinse

TF Western Denka, red handle, 244 / 54 / 253g. Got this knife from a very kind person here on KKF - thank you so much!

46623193zz.jpeg

46623194wu.jpeg
Is that the one bought in a bundle? If so, you beat me to it! I went in only for the Denka... Great find!

Last edited:
Back