Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't resist a tall Kurouchi, especially in B1, extra especially when Bernal put the big Yoake on sale. They get a hard time for fit and finish. It's certainly not the Hado, and I haven't put it to the stones yet. But initial impressions are positive, no rough edges I need to smooth out. I am not planning to turn it into a polish mule, but the weight, profile, and distal taper are spot on for me. It's odd that this comes from Sakai.

IMG_6987.jpg

Brief ad hoc comparison:

I recently got a Fook Kee Cleaver from @TokushuKnife, and also a Manaka Cleaver from Chef's Edge.
The Fook Kee arrived with a damaged heel, (which they readily compensated me for), so it immediately went to the sandpaper and stones for thinning and sharpening without any preliminary testing. The profile now looks a bit odd, but works just fine. It is closer to 230mm than the listed 250mm.

The Manaka arrived in good shape, but with what I'd consider a thick-behind-the-edge grind, (cracked open apples) and a lackluster edge, (wouldn't cleanly slice paper towels). So it also went to the stones, albeit without thinning (yet).

At my current location I only have sandpaper, an SG 500, and a huge Belgian Blue available, so everyone gets treated equally.

The handles seem comparable, (the Manaka may have a pakka wood ferrule vs. horn on the Fook Kee), but both are fine and well aligned. Manaka in walnut, and rosewood for the Fook Kee.

The Manaka's steel definitely feels harder on the stones, but neither are difficult to work with.

The Fook Kee has some distal taper, the Manaka does not. Both are fairly thin stock - maybe 2.5mm at the handle.

The Manaka has a slightly eased choil, but sharp spine (good for scraping?), the Fook Kee was unrelieved everywhere. These are easy and worthwhile adjustments I don't mind making - I prefer rounded/polished edges everywhere.

The Manaka is definitely heavier. (No scale, or calipers here - sorry).

Manaka on the left, Fook Kee on the right:

20231114_110007.jpg

20231114_105952.jpg

Manaka tip:

20231114_105745.jpg

Fook Kee tip:

20231114_110113.jpg

Manaka spine:

20231114_105759.jpg

Fook Kee spine:

20231114_110136.jpg

Manaka choil:

20231114_105728.jpg

Fook Kee choil:

20231114_110024.jpg

Package from Tonny at Tetogi arrived today with 2 new toys 🤗:
Hitohira Togashi Blue 1 Stainless 270 Suji
o6d5bwj.jpg

Z6X66QS.jpg

9IuKCJa.jpg

very much looking forward to slicing some large roasts with this come thanksgiving.

Hitohira Kikuchiyo Rou Silver #3 240 mirror polished:
yrEIBk4.jpg
zFbbpYy.jpg

3nVbL7Y.jpg

Wow this thing is more gorgeous in hand than online. Need to take some pictures in the sunlight next. Feels very nice in hand and want to put it to work soon.

yrEIBk4.jpg
zFbbpYy.jpg

Wow this thing is more gorgeous in hand than online. Need to take some pictures in the sunlight next. Feels very nice in hand and want to put it to work soon.

Beautiful isn’t it?! I had hard time taking photos of my Mirror and fully mirror polish.

Absolutely love it. Have you used either yet? how does the finish hold up? my only other ginsan is a Nakagawa 150 petty
I’ve used my fully mirror polish once. It was kind of scary using it at first because I didn’t want to scratch up the finish. 😂 I need more playing time with it at work. I like it so far which it doesn’t give me that brittle feels.

Package from Tonny at Tetogi arrived today with 2 new toys 🤗:
Hitohira Togashi Blue 1 Stainless 270 Suji
o6d5bwj.jpg

Z6X66QS.jpg

9IuKCJa.jpg

very much looking forward to slicing some large roasts with this come thanksgiving.

yrEIBk4.jpg
zFbbpYy.jpg

3nVbL7Y.jpg

Nice knives! Have you had a chance to try the Rou out? Curious about its performance. Definitely a beautiful knife!

I just bought a knife from a good friend who is just starting out as a maker. This one might be one of his first 3 or 4. His name is Sam Diab and he is also a chef.

26c3 honyaki steel, differentially hardened. Stabilized maple, gold dinobone trustone, blue &white g10, and cherrywood handle.

Attachments

• IMG_3298.jpeg
    IMG_3298.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3299.jpeg
    IMG_3299.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3296.jpeg
    IMG_3296.jpeg
    761.9 KB · Views: 0
New Knife Day 4 out of 6. Makoto Tadokoro Marushin 240mm Gyuto Ginsan Mirror Polish with Ebony and Horn handle. Almost 1 month of wait for this to arrive. Such a beautiful fit and finish on this knife and im pretty sure that the performance won’t disappoint me at all. 🙂📸🔪 View attachment 282429View attachment 282430View attachment 282431View attachment 282432View attachment 282433View attachment 282434
Other than mirror finish and the ebony handle upgrade, did you make any other special requests (e.g. extra length or height)? Would also be curious to know how much the knife weighs with an ebony handle…

Other than mirror finish and the ebony handle upgrade, did you make any other special requests (e.g. extra length or height)? Would also be curious to know how much the knife weighs with an ebony handle…
This was purchased at Bernal cutlery. It has some good weight on it and maybe it’s coming from the ebony handle.

2 more members of the family arrived today with 3 more still to arrive. 1 from a fellow member on BST and another hot from Japan. The current yen to USD conversion has been a terrible enabler for me lol. Definitely going to have to let some of the less used/older knives go on BST. My drawer is almost full and the 2 blocks from Jones only have a few slots left to fill.
Sakai Kikumori Nakagawa Blue 1 240 dammy and a Miura Itadaki Tanaka Aogami Super 240
cZXwOMx.jpg
rtcORU3.jpg
0Xmd5ao.jpg
SFbdsnU.jpg

Last edited:
Back