Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to get for myself a comparison to Miyabi SG2 Birchwood. Soon we can see how Tsubaya Tanaka Blue #1 Gyuto 240mm performs. I'm waiting to see how my sharpening skills work with this steel.
DSC02927.jpg

I waited a long time for this one, and it seems it was well worth it. Catcheside 220 integral damascus western gyuto. This thing is a BEAST! If you like kato workhorse type knives, then this would be right up your alley. At 260 grams its heavy af but with a perfect balance point right at the pinch grip and no flex at all. This thing just powers through food effortlessly while having great food release on par or even better than any kato ive tried without wedging at all. Still havent really put it through the paces, but i cant wait to throw everything at it.

fSJsfN5TRUWfFCi9WobB9g_zpsyvlczotx.jpg

Aww man, that's my knife....No seriously thats my knife. Super stoked to see this one complete, I have one of the 240's of this collection coming at some point. Do let us know what you think, it is really a great looking knife, question is, will it cut?

...my first higher end knife. before this my best knife was a 60$ amazon special. :)

ive been saving my pocket change all year to buy my first real weapon. my family gave me an awesome 250$ gift card to carbon knife co. for my birthday! :) geez i love my family.

so, i chose... the Watanabe 180mm pro nakiri.

its impossibly thin behind the blade and falls right through ingredients. itll take a some getting use to. its a bit blade heavy, and its my first nakiri. a little bigger than i had envisioned, but im certain ill gel with it quickly.

im not blown away with the handle quality, but i dont think anyone would wrap a hand around this blade, use it, then say "great knife, whats with the handke?" however, id love to hear suggestion on where or who does custom handle work.

anyway, here is my best attempt at pictures with my s8 edge and really poor lighting...

kAn6d5D.jpg

ubdm8Vn.jpg

ggKHBjL.jpg

L6gKAu7.jpg

5kYgt5E.jpg

Great knife, your gonna love it.

Yu Kurosaki ... Mega Nakiri? ... Mini-Chuka? ... Lazer Cleaver? ... I'm not too sure how to classify this one ... except it has the most UGLY kurouchi finish I've ever seen.
Does anyone else have this knife? Does yours have ugly KU on the kanji side? The other side is fine and looks good.
It cuts really really well though, and the OOTB edge is fantastic.
_20181212_212935.jpeg
_20181212_213100.jpeg
_20181212_213246.jpeg
DSC_0956.jpeg

Yu Kurosaki ... Mega Nakiri? ... Mini-Chuka? ... Lazer Cleaver? ... I'm not too sure how to classify this one ... except it has the most UGLY kurouchi finish I've ever seen.
Does anyone else have this knife? Does yours have ugly KU on the kanji side? The other side is fine and looks good.
It cuts really really well though, and the OOTB edge is fantastic.View attachment 45767View attachment 45768View attachment 45769View attachment 45770

I've been eyeing this knife for a while as a heavier weight knife to complement my Kotetsu R2 Bunka. Been looking for any review on it and would appreciate any comments.

I've been eyeing this knife for a while as a heavier weight knife to complement my Kotetsu R2 Bunka. Been looking for any review on it and would appreciate any comments.
I haven't had enough time on the knife yet, but so far I'm pretty impressed with the way it cuts. My example weighs 234g, weight distribution is classic chuka, and the spine is 2mm ish from tip to heel. The combo of incredibly thin behind the edge and loads of weight right on top makes it loads of fun. Handles surprisingly similar to a small CCK veg cleaver (which is why I got it).

After a night playing around with it, it now falls under the category all its own, wide bevel laser mini chuka ... Does that even make any sense?

Now if I can over look that side that looks like someone dragged it thru a gravel pit .. . Maybe I need to ask Yu Kurosaki if it was an intentional "Chinese factory floor" finish [emoji19]

Not truly a kitchen knife, but food related: Forge de Laguiole, semi-stainless steel blade, snake wood (Piratinera guianensis) scales with polished brass.
IMG-20181213-192842.jpg

Last edited:
Just got this little beauty in the mail today. Ridiculously sharp ootb although all I have cut with it is a page out of an old phonebook. Cant wait destroy some onions and carrots! Fit and finish wasnt as bad as I expected from some of the reviews ive read here on the forum about these knives,but definitely lacking in some areas. Overall the knife has a good feel (to me) and is a little blade heavy which I happen to like.
Screenshot_20181213-163707_Gallery.jpg

I haven't had enough time on the knife yet, but so far I'm pretty impressed with the way it cuts. My example weighs 234g, weight distribution is classic chuka, and the spine is 2mm ish from tip to heel. The combo of incredibly thin behind the edge and loads of weight right on top makes it loads of fun. Handles surprisingly similar to a small CCK veg cleaver (which is why I got it).

After a night playing around with it, it now falls under the category all its own, wide bevel laser mini chuka ... Does that even make any sense?

Now if I can over look that side that looks like someone dragged it thru a gravel pit .. . Maybe I need to ask Yu Kurosaki if it was an intentional "Chinese factory floor" finish [emoji19]

Thanks for the info . I'm tossed up between this and a Watanabe Pro Nakiri. Looking for something with a workhorse grind .

Thanks for the info . I'm tossed up between this and a Watanabe Pro Nakiri. Looking for something with a workhorse grind .

The Wat Pro is far from a Workhorse. It is a very thin tall knife. It's not wedgy like a laser but is closer to laser category then WH (if there is such a thing in a Nakiri speak)

It cuts really really well though, and the OOTB edge is fantastic.View attachment 45767View attachment 45768View attachment 45769View attachment 45770

LMAO, winner of this year's Fuggly KU Lazer Cleaver award goes to....

Wat Pro will be my final nakiri, so I hope (I recently saw that Toyama 210 and got hooked). Of the ones I've tried, the closest to a workhorse grind would be a Mazaki or Hinoura, especially the Maz with the more convex of the two.

Back