Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if it counts as "newest knife buy" when you buy a course to make it your self... Anyhow..

I'm very pleased with the end result! Was a two day course here in Switzerland close to Basel. The teacher is a guy is called Daniel Gentile (FERRUM D Gentile - Schmiedekurse, Messer, Schwerter / Forging Classes, Knives, Swords). It was a fantastic experience to create a blade like this from scratch! (did everything except the final grind) And i can highly recommend anyone who has a local blade smith to try something like this :)

Materials are : San-Mai Pattern Weld: 64 layers of O2 & 15N20 in a rain-drop pattern with a W2 Core at 62HRC. Wood is burnt ash, brass ring and walnut end piece.

Now i just gotta see how it will handle some copping of produce tonight :)

Look

Looks amazing,think you did an awesome job.

Good idea to have a course like that for knives or blacksmith enthusiast. I would be interested.

Think it would be something I would.be interested to try just once as well.

I don't know if it counts as "newest knife buy" when you buy a course to make it your self... Anyhow..

I'm very pleased with the end result! Was a two day course here in Switzerland close to Basel. The teacher is a guy is called Daniel Gentile (FERRUM D Gentile - Schmiedekurse, Messer, Schwerter / Forging Classes, Knives, Swords). It was a fantastic experience to create a blade like this from scratch! (did everything except the final grind) And i can highly recommend anyone who has a local blade smith to try something like this :)

Materials are : San-Mai Pattern Weld: 64 layers of O2 & 15N20 in a rain-drop pattern with a W2 Core at 62HRC. Wood is burnt ash, brass ring and walnut end piece.

Now i just gotta see how it will handle some copping of produce tonight :)

View attachment 89909View attachment 89907View attachment 89908View attachment 89906View attachment 89911View attachment 89910

hi Mads, I live in Basel, so very interested in this. Would love to develop my skills further. I only know of one knife workshop in Basel - in Gundeldinger Feld - near Bahnhof Eingang Gundeldingen Tram stop. It’s about 2 streets over. The guy there makes knives and offers classes for knife making and sharpening workshops - where people sign-up online. I think he may be a Swiss-Swedish person as his name sounds Swedish - I misplaced his card

but this sounds like a fantastic experience and I will google and find out more

thanks for letting us know

hi Mads, I live in Basel, so very interested in this. Would love to develop my skills further. I only know of one knife workshop in Basel - in Gundeldinger Feld - near Bahnhof Eingang Gundeldingen Tram stop. It’s about 2 streets over. The guy there makes knives and offers classes for knife making and sharpening workshops - where people sign-up online. I think he may be a Swiss-Swedish person as his name sounds Swedish - I misplaced his card

but this sounds like a fantastic experience and I will google and find out more

thanks for letting us know
Glad to help - it was truly worth every penny! Saturday there were two guys on their last day of a 3 day course, and Sunday it was just me and "the master" :) Super helpful and friendly guy, who knows his stuff. I recommend having a good idea on design/steel beforehand so you can be clear on that. In my case I wanted a hammered finish, so he made a new die for the air hammer and then we just tried it (worked out perfectly!, and it was the first time he had done this too) Really loved the freedom of design etc, and him helping to achieve it. If you end up going, please pass along my best regards!

Glad to help - it was truly worth every penny! Saturday there were two guys on their last day of a 3 day course, and Sunday it was just me and "the master" :) Super helpful and friendly guy, who knows his stuff. I recommend having a good idea on design/steel beforehand so you can be clear on that. In my case I wanted a hammered finish, so he made a new die for the air hammer and then we just tried it (worked out perfectly!, and it was the first time he had done this too) Really loved the freedom of design etc, and him helping to achieve it. If you end up going, please pass along my best regards!

Very impressed with your handiwork Mads, that is awesome and I'm sure the creative process adds to the pleasure of using it. I've been weighing up a few different smithing courses in the UK for when things return to a more even keel, although not sure how much personal creative input is considered on some courses. I don't think I'll be able to achieve such a stunning result as yours though!

Very impressed with your handiwork Mads, that is awesome and I'm sure the creative process adds to the pleasure of using it. I've been weighing up a few different smithing courses in the UK for when things return to a more even keel, although not sure how much personal creative input is considered on some courses. I don't think I'll be able to achieve such a stunning result as yours though!
Thank you very much for the kind comments - I think it is 97% up to the teachers skill of the course, along with the group size of the course that determines the creative freedom and overall flexibility. As for the end result, I'm super pleased with how it turned out and i would say that pretty much anyone taking a course with this guy would get similar good results, because all the times i messed up, he was there to help correct it right away (that happened quite a bit like when i got the rough knife stuck in the air hammer and it looked like a taco wrap... :oops:😂).

Sharing one of my latest knife buys :) A pre-owned 8" Miyabi Birchwood Gyuto.

Attachments

• 8 inch Miyabi Birchwood Gyuto.jpg
    8 inch Miyabi Birchwood Gyuto.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 42
Received this direct order shi.han 230 52100 KU last night. He was great to work with and very quick getting the knife out the door. Almost three weeks after ordering it was in my hand. Nicely rounded spine and choil, love the thermory handle, nicely done kurouchi. Very blade forward compared to anything else I’ve owned thus far. I wasn’t sold cutting carrots but it fell right through onions and tomatoes.
8300FE5C-0EC9-47AD-AA0F-E5AAA468BD26.jpeg

Nice! Love my Shi.han, I wonder if the KU is getting lighter in recent batches?

Mine is an old JKI version, the KU is much darker:
View attachment 90035

Very nice! Love the handles on yours. The KU isn’t incredibly dark but it is slightly darker than my photo suggest. This is my first KU finish and I hadn’t even thought about the added benefit of a textured pinch grip.

Let's go slumming and see what is down there in the gutter...

A Fuji Narihira FC-90 150mm honesuki.

20200811_115714.jpg

20200811_120018.jpg

20200811_120251.jpg

I wanted to try a honesuki and see how the profile works for me. Didn't want to break the bank- this dealer second was about $35 delivered, had some small scratches on the handle from rattling around in the cheesy plastic/cardboard sleeve it came packed in. Blade was SHARP as it came from the box, shaved my arm and went through paper effortlessly but grind was a bit uneven, I sharpened it before trying it on food. Shapton glass 400 to get the bevel looking as I thought it should then Shapton 2,000 pro, deburr with a cork, strop lightly on copier paper left a bit of toothyness for cutting raw meat.
Maker doesn't say exactly what the steel is or hardness. "Special Molybdenum steel" "Fine Molybdenum steel" and occasionally "Special Molybdenum-Vanadium steel" or "a well chosen Molybdenum-Vanadium steel" are all that I see online. If I had to guess? AUS-8 hardened to around 58 RHC behaves on my stones and holds an edge similarly to this blade.

Tried it first trimming fat from a very fatty brisket, edge is still quite useable after cutting 3.5 lb. off. I will get a whole chicken and see what working around bones does to the edge next-

Last edited:
The Mario 225 has landed

l can’t help but jump into some immediate test cuts. Yup, it glided through carrots & split the cabbage with ease 🤗. I already know just by running my finger over, similar to Toyama grind but the knife is thinner.

The ironwood handle is a bit hazy, any suggestions how to polish it out? I briefly tried 3000 sand paper grit but made no difference.
B689B380-B606-47C3-942B-5435F629AB64.jpeg
FC5CEA9B-A632-47D1-81E0-2E52E7EFB405.jpeg
D90B4427-12E0-4016-A14B-153073D3EB40.jpeg
8514598E-4E2F-430D-9C55-FED3AA615807.jpeg
2D38CE89-7188-4142-ADD3-E7594104D462.jpeg

The Mario 225 has landed

l can’t help but jump into some immediate test cuts. Yup, it glided through carrots & split the cabbage with ease 🤗. I already know just by running my finger over, similar to Toyama grind but the knife is thinner.

The ironwood handle is a bit hazy, any suggestions how to polish it out? I briefly tried 3000 sand paper grit but made no difference.
View attachment 90074View attachment 90071View attachment 90072View attachment 90073View attachment 90075

looks like a Toyoma - perhaps a more refined one. I don’t know Mario - tried to google, but so many Mario’s out there making knives including Mario batali- luckily I was able to dine at Babbo in NYC towards the end of last year or January 2020, just before pandemic hit. Some amazing Barolo and Brunello was consumed that night.

Would love to check out his knives online - not batali but this Mario

looks like a Toyoma - perhaps a more refined one. I don’t know Mario - tried to google, but so many Mario’s out there making knives including Mario batali- luckily I was able to dine at Babbo in NYC towards the end of last year or January 2020, just before pandemic hit. Some amazing Barolo and Brunello was consumed that night.

Would love to check out his knives online - not batali but this Mario

There’s a few Mario making knives, but this is The Mario: Mario Ingoglia

That Mario hasn't been allowed near Babbo for a while...
This Mario makes knives: Login • Instagram

i know! He is completely cancelled.

food is not what it used to be back in the day, but not too bad either. I personally prefer Misi in Brooklyn when it comes to Italian fare in NYC

if any of these joints survive- Prune, a good eatery in LES closed

About The other Mario, the paragraph below is more than what I need to read:

Mario Batali raves about Miller's knives, which she hand-makes in her Brooklyn workshop; he owns seven of them, according to a tweet he posted earlier this summer. And the crew at Eleven Madison Park is equally as obsessed. They commissioned an entire set for the restaurant's kitchen a few years back”

About The other Mario, the paragraph below is more than what I need to read:

Mario Batali raves about Miller's knives, which she hand-makes in her Brooklyn workshop; he owns seven of them, according to a tweet he posted earlier this summer. And the crew at Eleven Madison Park is equally as obsessed. They commissioned an entire set for the restaurant's kitchen a few years back”

cannot Clearly decipher What you mean...... Meaning you are not a Batali fan because he likes Miller Knives? i am not the sharpest knife in the drawer at times (pun unintended)

Just received my new Yoshikane Amekiri 240 SKD gyuto from K&S US. This one is on the heavier/beefier end of the Sanjo midweights, though it is still ridiculously thin behind the edge (see choil shot below).

Ebony handle, horn ferrule.

1-Yoshikane-Amekiri-240-right.png

2-Yoshikane-Amekiri-240-left.png

3-Yoshikane-Amekiri-240-choil.png

And here it is next to my Gengetsu 240 w#2 for comparison sake:

4-Yoshikane-Amekiri-240-genetsu-comparison.png

Differences in profile are exaggerated by the angle of the knives in the photo. They both have pretty generous flat spots, similar pointy tip.

The grind is also similar although the Yoshi starts out a bit beefier and tapers even thinner than the gengetsu. In general, this knife feels to me like a heavier, taller, and longer version of the gengetsu, but with a more aggressive taper to match -- kinda like the gengetsu's older brother.

It might just be a catch and release for me. I've got a kashima sanjo coming in from cleancut that kind of rounds out the sanjo mid-weights for me. It's heavier than the gengetsu but lighter than the amekiri. After I've got all three in hand, I'll decide which one to keep. Probably the gengetsu since I've already been using and loving it . . . also I think I tend to like a knife that is a bit lighter and shorter than the Amekiri.

Amekiri stats, per K&S US:

Weight: 193g
Length: 245mm
Height : 50mm
Width of Spine above Heel: 3.8mm
Width of Spine at Middle: 1.6mm
Width of Spine 1cm from the Tip: 0.60mm

Steel: SKD core w/ stainless cladding, 63 HRc

Handle: Ebony with horn ferrule (K&S)

Last edited:
And yet the Amekiri, Gengetsu and Kashima all feel similar, related 🤔

Yes they all have a distinctly yoshi vibe, could be same in house, could be smiths who worked for yoshikane previously. Dunno. All I know is that these three knives (at least the models/steels I ordered) seem to occupy a bit of a spectrum on the midweight scale.

Gengetsu w#2 is the lightest and shortest:

Weight: 154g
Length: 239mm
Height : 48mm
Width of Spine above Heel: 3.26mm
Width of Spine at Middle: 1.96mm
Width of Spine 1cm from the Tip: 0.70mm

The kashima sanjo is a bit more knife:

Weight: 184g
Length: 240mm
Width of Spine above Heel: ???
Width of Spine at Middle: ???
Width of Spine 1cm from the Tip: ???

^ grind width not specified on cleancut website, but probably comparable given available photos.

And the yoshi amekiri SKD is the biggest of the trio:

So the weight difference between the gengetsu (~155g) and yoshi (~195g) is substantial. Definitely noticeable in hand. I'll update when I get my kashima sanjo but it's obviously gonna fall somewhere in between. Waiting to see if the kashima is the sweetspot for me or if I've already found it with the gengetsu.

"I love my Chelsea Miller knives because they remind me of two of my favorite things - beautiful women and mounds of grated Parmigiano Reggiano, the king of cheeses"
MB
*** 😅🤣😅🤣, How could anyone take that seriously. Im curious if he said this before or after he got in trouble. Im assuming before. Another testament that being an amazing chef doesn't necessarily make you very knowledgeable at knives. I wonder if she just ever laughs at all the suckers that buy her expensive cheesegraters. I think she should grab some small wheels and start making high end pizza cutters. She'd make a killing.

*** 😅🤣😅🤣, How could anyone take that seriously. Im curious if he said this before or after he got in trouble. Im assuming before. Another testament that being an amazing chef doesn't necessarily make you very knowledgeable at knives. I wonder if she just ever laughs at all the suckers that buy her expensive cheesegraters. I think she should grab some small wheels and start making high end pizza cutters. She'd make a killing.

I’m gonna bet that parbaked made that quote up. 😜

I'd take a knife from Haley Derosier over one from Chelsea Miller any day of the week.

Not the I've ever had a chance to get one.

Yes they all have a distinctly yoshi vibe, could be same in house, could be smiths who worked for yoshikane previously. Dunno. All I know is that these three knives (at least the models/steels I ordered) seem to occupy a bit of a spectrum on the midweight scale.

Gengetsu w#2 is the lightest and shortest:

Weight: 154g
Length: 239mm
Width of Spine above Heel: 3.26mm
Width of Spine at Middle: 1.96mm
Width of Spine 1cm from the Tip: 0.70mm

The kashima sanjo is a bit more knife:

Weight: 184g
Length: 240mm
Width of Spine above Heel: ???
Width of Spine at Middle: ???
Width of Spine 1cm from the Tip: ???

^ grind width not specified on cleancut website, but probably comparable given available photos.

And the yoshi amekiri SKD is the biggest of the trio:

So the weight difference between the gengetsu (~155g) and yoshi (~195g) is substantial. Definitely noticeable in hand. I'll update when I get my kashima sanjo but it's obviously gonna fall somewhere in between. Waiting to see if the kashima is the sweetspot for me or if I've already found it with the gengetsu.
Most of the weight difference may come from handles, burnt chestnut (Gengetsu) is way lighter than that K&S ebony handle (Yoshikane).

Back