Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20200822_202754.jpg
20200822_184322.jpg

A covex workhorse grind definitely add some weight! Jacques Pepin often refers to a chef knife as a "chopping knife" and its one of the reasons I have gravitated towards chefs and gyutos that are taller, sturdier and heavier.

Kind of a leap, that is... I mean in the end Jacques Pépin uses Wusthof Ikons in a rock chop most of all. I don’t think anything he does calls for wanting a tall and heavy knife, more of a rounded western one - indeed usually heavy for size but not especially « tall ».

No insult there I’m just wondering where the connection is exactly.

The only two suggestions I have heard him make is that a chopping knife should be 9-12 inches and that you should get something that is comfortable to you based on what feels good in your hand.

Tall (e.g. 58mm+) and heavy is just my personal preference for a knife whose primary purpose is chopping.

Last edited:
Needed a replacement for an old beat up shiro kamo nakiri I bought some years back. I was never a huge nakiri guy until recently. Now I really enjoy them. More so when i’m home than in the kitchen at work. So I ended up buying a Jiro nakiri because I’m a big Jiro guy. Wanted something else to replace the kamo that wasn’t so expensive. Grabbed a Mazaki from Craig and Tina. Really dig it.

Attachments

• 1D15EB29-468A-4F0F-98BD-31CB7A3C02AF.jpeg
    1D15EB29-468A-4F0F-98BD-31CB7A3C02AF.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 33
Damn that Mazaki nakiri looks nice, is it really as ruler flat on the edge as it looks? Had a moritaka nakiri a long time ago that was basically a flat slab from spine to edge with just the front corner rounded a tiny bit.

Damn that Mazaki nakiri looks nice, is it really as ruler flat on the edge as it looks? Had a moritaka nakiri a long time ago that was basically a flat slab from spine to edge with just the front corner rounded a tiny bit.
Pretty flat. Not as flat as it looks but pretty flat. Decent grind too. I love a lot of makers man but I never had a problem with Mazaki. White or blue steel.

Is the sharp transition in the belly and flat front 1/3 intentional on that purple knife? If so, for what purpose or intention?

Thanks

No clue, ain’t mine, so I don’t know the story behind it or what it’s been through. If I were to guess, it’s probably to slim the tip down some to allow it to get under and in between bones. It’s a massive knife.

Latest posts

Back